Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 3:35:02 PM EDT
Im going to be buying a nagant this week but i have some questions first.

1) should i get the long version or the short version? and what kind of acuracy can i expect from either one?

2) im going to put a diffrent stock on it when i get it to. how is the one ATI makes and dose anyone else make one?

3) are the scope mounts that i see on some of them worth it, or is it like putting a scope on an SKS(pointless)?

Anything else you guys think i should know would be helpfull. to be honest i always though that they were worthless untill a friend of mine bought one last month and it was acctually allot of fun to shoot. so im going to give one a try. thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
dont bother with the ATI stock, like the rest of their products, they suck.  the 91/30(long one) is probably going to be more accurate than the shorter m44 or m38 nagants.  I've gotten 2.5-3 moa out of my M44 so a scope could work but I'm not a big fan of how those aftermarket mounts attatch to the rifles.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The accuracy of these rifles can be all over the place.   Plus one type of ammo works good, the other lousy.  Trigger pull is pretty heavy too.  These are military rifles and not tack drivers.  Minute of man was good enough with these.

The sheel is a pretty good wquivalent of the 30-06 round and is still in use in the Russian military in maching guns.  It is the longest serving military round with 115 years of continuous service.  All milsurp ammo for these it corrosive.   Not a big deal, but you must not delay cleaning after shooting if you are using it.  

All that said, you can expect 3" to 4" groups at 100 yards if the bore is good.  Many will do better and rifles based upon the Mosin Nagant such as the Finn M39 had to achieve a 1.5 MOA in order to be acceptable by the Finnish army.  I have two of these and they are great shooters.

I like the longer rifles the most, but for a field gun, a good M38 or, even better, a 91/59 will work fine.  Loaded with a 202 grain soft point bullet, ou should be able to bring down just about any big game animal in North America.  The sights on these rifles are much better than Mauser sights.  Especially on older eyes of if you wear glasses.   There is a scout mount available that will not premanently alter you rifle.   You would need a long eye relief scope if you use on of these.  

I am not a real fan of the M44 and even though I own 13 various Mosin Nagants, including the excellent Finnish reworks, I don't own a M44.  The attached bayonet makes it too front heavy for my tastes.  

If you get a short rifle and shoot any of the various milsurp ammo you will get some really spectacular fireballs out of the barrel.  Easily reach 5 feet in length.  Makes twilight or evening shooting a lot of fun.  Really puts a new meaning on the Army saying the "We light up the night."

A really good site with tons of info is: 7.62x54r.net/

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:33:10 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

A really good site with tons of info is: 7.62x54r.net/

X2.  Great site!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not, repeat, do not, buy the drill and tap scope mount kits advertised in SGN, they are horrible.
They make your bolt look franken-chopped, and the whole cut off your bolt handle with a dremel tool is just a pain in the ass waiting to happen.

Get the forward scope mount that fits onto the rear sight base and hang some pistol long eye relief glass from there if you really want to scope it. Accuracy is so-so, but you already know that. These are fun to shoot and rugged as hell.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a uncle who used a M38 as a truck gun.  Barrel length has little to do with theoretical accuracy, however it does directly influence velocity (groups at longer distances would probably open up more due to loss of velocity) and the lack of length/weight up front would potentially magnify shooter errors.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top