Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:06:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 6:23:47 PM EDT by Foxtrot427]
I know the rifle is, of course, only available to LEO or military. Is a gun (or a gun like it for god sakes) supposed to be sold to the civilian market? Seems like these great guns like this SAR-21, tavor, FAMAS, ets. They were nice a gave the AUG some time and might give it back. I can honestly say with the great reports of low recoil, reliablilty, safety, etc this would be a hit. I know back in 02 Barrett was slated to import a tavor or something. What ever happened to that? I guess you could get the tax stamp right?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:49:52 PM EDT
Is English not your first language, if that's the case ignore the rest of this and huzzah for being multi-lingual.
Try rereading what you typed before you post, seriously!

Anyways,

Barrett was going to actually build Tavors in the United States at their factory, both for the Civillian market and so that Isreal could us US military assistance money, which has to be spent in the United States to buy Tavors. It is unclear exactly what happened with that deal but it got deep sixed.

DSA was in discussion with Steyr to buy the tooling and rights to the AUG and build it here. That got scuttled when Steyr decided that they weren't going to go belly up. Now they may or may-not be producing an AUG in the US.

Singapore(sp) Kinetic Technologies, who makes the SAR-21 doesn't have a history of selling firearms to the civillian market, and as far as I know has had limited sucess with the SAR-21 in the military and law enforcement markets beyond their home turf. Other then an article in a gun rag about it when it came out I havn't heard much about the SA-21, other then it being very similar to the AUG.

FN is building and selling both the PS90 and the FS2000 to the civillian market. They are being built in their factory here. They are still ramping up production of the PS90 which is out there currently but hard to find. The FS2000 is due out this summer. FN has a reputation for outstanding quality, and if you want a modern bullpup in a rifle caliber the FS-2000 will give anything on the market a run for it's money right now.

Finally Bushmaster built and sold for over a decade it's M-17s bullpup. Based on a cancled Australian design the gun used a gas piston upper and had a 21.5" barrel. Some people loved them, some people hated them. The gripe was mostly in the trigger, which as with almost all bullpups is hampered by the long action arms which connect them to the guns sear. That being said my M-17s's trigger doesn't seem any worse then a standard miltary trigger (compared to non-two stage AR triggers, M-1a, and Garand triggers) and has function flawlessly. Bushmaster unfortunetly recently discontinued these, although recently enough that you can still find them NIB for around $700-$800.

That is basically the run down of current production bullpups avalible to us mere mortals, or the rumors pretaining to them. If you want to go down the pre-ban alley you can get a Austrian made AUG, Norinco AK bullpups, and even the rarest of guns, the ellusive semi-auto FAMAS.

hope that helps.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:17:34 PM EDT
He is from Virginia, he speaks perfect Virginian.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:10:38 AM EDT
There are civilian semi auto FAMAS in the US. just not a lot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:22:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Spade:

The number I hear is 80, but I don't have anyway to verify that. </shrug>
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:18:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 11:27:38 AM EDT by Foxtrot427]

Originally Posted By Armed_Scientist:
Is English not your first language, if that's the case ignore the rest of this and huzzah for being multi-lingual.
Try rereading what you typed before you post, seriously!

Anyways,

Barrett was going to actually build Tavors in the United States at their factory, both for the Civillian market and so that Isreal could us US military assistance money, which has to be spent in the United States to buy Tavors. It is unclear exactly what happened with that deal but it got deep sixed.

DSA was in discussion with Steyr to buy the tooling and rights to the AUG and build it here. That got scuttled when Steyr decided that they weren't going to go belly up. Now they may or may-not be producing an AUG in the US.

Singapore(sp) Kinetic Technologies, who makes the SAR-21 doesn't have a history of selling firearms to the civillian market, and as far as I know has had limited sucess with the SAR-21 in the military and law enforcement markets beyond their home turf. Other then an article in a gun rag about it when it came out I havn't heard much about the SA-21, other then it being very similar to the AUG.

FN is building and selling both the PS90 and the FS2000 to the civillian market. They are being built in their factory here. They are still ramping up production of the PS90 which is out there currently but hard to find. The FS2000 is due out this summer. FN has a reputation for outstanding quality, and if you want a modern bullpup in a rifle caliber the FS-2000 will give anything on the market a run for it's money right now.

Finally Bushmaster built and sold for over a decade it's M-17s bullpup. Based on a cancled Australian design the gun used a gas piston upper and had a 21.5" barrel. Some people loved them, some people hated them. The gripe was mostly in the trigger, which as with almost all bullpups is hampered by the long action arms which connect them to the guns sear. That being said my M-17s's trigger doesn't seem any worse then a standard miltary trigger (compared to non-two stage AR triggers, M-1a, and Garand triggers) and has function flawlessly. Bushmaster unfortunetly recently discontinued these, although recently enough that you can still find them NIB for around $700-$800.

That is basically the run down of current production bullpups avalible to us mere mortals, or the rumors pretaining to them. If you want to go down the pre-ban alley you can get a Austrian made AUG, Norinco AK bullpups, and even the rarest of guns, the ellusive semi-auto FAMAS.

hope that helps.

Sorry if my first post was garble haha. I was tired just like right now so excuse this one to . Aggg. Its too bad they never started selling Tavors. I would of had to pick one up. Thanks for the info on all of this! figured a gun like the SAR-21 wouldnt come out for us. If they arent selling as many as they would like to Mil. or LE then they should be making them for us! haha. I like the FS2000 and the PS90. This is a dream collection if you ask me:

The thing is that the FS200 is supposed to cost over 2 grand! Im looking for an M17. A slightly used one. I cant find one though! Im looking to spen at or under $650. Im hoping the AUG A3 will be sold soon. They arent saying yes or no so I can at least hope and the ones already for sale seem to come, at the cheapest, 3 grand. Ive never been a fan of the bullpup AK. It looks kind of thrown together Ive only seen one model if there are others please tell me what they are. I never knew they made a semi-auto FAMAS!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:33:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Foxtrot427:
I never knew they made a semi-auto FAMAS!

Some guy here owns one.

Armed_Scientist, that sounds right to me for reasons I cannot verify.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:27:15 AM EDT

Some guy here owns one.

I remember reading about that. IIRC, it took him a long time to find one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:19:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Armed_Scientist:

The number I hear is 80, but I don't have anyway to verify that. </shrug>

I think that number is about right. (A friend of mine walked into a gun show a couple of years ago and saw one for $3K. Bought it on the spot of course. Dealer had it and didn't know what he had.)

5sub

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:57:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 5subslr5:

I think that number is about right. (A friend of mine walked into a gun show a couple of years ago and saw one for $3K. Bought it on the spot of course. Dealer had it and didn't know what he had.)

5sub

good lord. It would sell sell sell if they still sold them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:06:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 4:28:16 PM EDT by cloak-n-carbine]

Originally Posted By str8t1:

Some guy here owns one.

I remember reading about that. IIRC, it took him a long time to find one.

My ears were ringing...

Yeah, it took me a while (probably over three or four years of searching) till I happened upon the one I bought....cost me $7,000 even, and that included the FAMAS itself in 98%/Excellent condition, SEVEN new 25 rd. mags, one OD green mag pouch, Brand new Bayonet w/scabbard, original OD green combat sling, cleaning kit, and manual. The seller (Rick's Gun Shop in rural VT near the Canadian border) threw in a pretty nice Assault Systems case with it, too. I have bought some spare repair/replacement parts from Buddy Hinton (Sturmgewehr.com) for it, just in case.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:22:38 PM EDT
damn! Pics please.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:17:19 PM EDT
If anyone's willing to host, I could shoot some pics via email. Lemme know.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:05:41 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cloak-n-carbine:
If anyone's willing to host, I could shoot some pics via email. Lemme know.

There are free hosting sites. Like image shack and photobucket. If you want me too, Ill do it.
Top Top