Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 4:53:06 AM EDT
I ordered some Remington .35 psp ammo before I found out that psp meant pointed soft point. Is that stuff safe to to shoot in a lever action? I was told once that with pointy rounds there was a chance the ammo in the tube could go off. The stuff I ordered is already on the way, if anything I can shoot it as a single shot if I have to. So is the gun gonna kb if I load it all the way? Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#1]
IIRC, Hornady is the company making the NEW ballistic tip pointed ammo for lever rifles, not Remington.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:00:59 AM EDT
[#2]
you can also plug your magazine so it will hold 1 round.  that way you have one in the chamber and on in the mag.  but if i were you and wanted to step out to a distance where the ballistics of a pointed bullet were needed i would get a rifle that shot and cartridge made to shoot pointed bullets.  I know you love your 30-30 but a 270 or a 30-06 will set you back about 300 and run rings around the 30-30.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:16:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
you can also plug your magazine so it will hold 1 round.  that way you have one in the chamber and on in the mag.  but if i were you and wanted to step out to a distance where the ballistics of a pointed bullet were needed i would get a rifle that shot and cartridge made to shoot pointed bullets.  I know you love your 30-30 but a 270 or a 30-06 will set you back about 300 and run rings around the 30-30.  

it ain't a 30-30, he said 35, not all levers are 30-30s

as for the ammo, you will have to do 1 round in the mag one in the chamber, anymore and it may go off

make sure COL is right for the one in the tube to feed too
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#4]
While it was determined in the 19th century that is IS safe to have spitzer type bullets loaded in a tubular magazine (see the French Lebel) sine the bullets tend to rest against the groove between the bullet and primer, it is not considered a safe practice by most.

I tend to err on the side of "I have about the worst fucking luck" and don't/wouldn't do it. Just single load 'em, or run with only one in the tube and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
IIRC, Hornady is the company making the NEW ballistic tip pointed ammo for lever rifles, not Remington.

Mike

True, but that's not what he was talking about.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:52:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

it ain't a 30-30, he said 35, not all levers are 30-30s

as for the ammo, you will have to do 1 round in the mag one in the chamber, anymore and it may go off

make sure COL is right for the one in the tube to feed too

30, 35  WHEN YOUR SUB .444 Marlin it's all the same.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

I know perfectly well what a "spitzer" or PSP round is, my point was it's generally considered a no-no to use these types of round stacked one behind the other in the magazine of a lever rifle AND provide an alternative should he want something "ballistically" better to use in his .35 caliber lever action.

I'm fairly certain this new Hornady offering beats the heck outta most everything else ballistic-wise for use in lever rifles.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

I know perfectly well what a "spitzer" or PSP round is, my point was it's generally considered a no-no to use these types of round stacked one behind the other in the magazine of a lever rifle AND provide an alternative should he want something "ballistically" better to use in his .35 caliber lever action.

I'm fairly certain this new Hornady offering beats the heck outta most everything else ballistic-wise for use in lever rifles.

Mike

Yeah, but Hornady ain't sellin' their special bullets for reloaders.......

at least not yet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 8:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
While it was determined in the 19th century that is IS safe to have spitzer type bullets loaded in a tubular magazine (see the French Lebel) sine the bullets tend to rest against the groove between the bullet and primer, it is not considered a safe practice by most.

I tend to err on the side of "I have about the worst fucking luck" and don't/wouldn't do it. Just single load 'em, or run with only one in the tube and you'll be fine.

Other then the Lebel round, can you name evan one cartridge that has a grove like that between the rim and primer?  If you tend to do things like load spritzer rounds in tubular magazines, please remember:
Step one: Set up web cam ...
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:10:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I know a guy who loaded pointed bullets in a lever gun and had them detonate in the mag tube. All that happened was the mag tube bulged and cracked the forend. It also blew the mag spring and follower out of the front of the mag tube. He had been loading with pointed bullets for years and had never had it happen before, so he figured it was safe. Amazingly, he didn't have any injuries, other than his pride, and a new mag tube assy and forend got his rifle back into service. I personally wouldn't do it unless it was with the new Hornady loads, but if you want to risk your gun, and possibly a couple fingers, go right ahead, its your gun and your fingers.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Vortec & 762 are right, it's not dangerous.  We've always been warned by everybody to never use points in tube mags, but it turns out that this is to prevent any possibility of minor damage rather than a safety measure.  There was an article testing this last year, I'll try and dredge it up.  It made two points:

First, it's hard as hell to get a detonation to occur, because rimmed cartridges won't set straight end-to-end in a tube mag.  They flop over so the bullet touches the side of the tube, tip touching the rim of the next round.

Second, not much happens if they go off.  The author induced this artificially by using bushings to allign all rounds tip-to-primer and appying a hammer none too gently.  He got a lot of smoke and fizzle, time after time.  The rounds didn't ever all go, and those that did were just split along the side, because the burn was free to expand into all the empty space in the mag.  The bullets, instead of being launched, were instead shoved deeper into the cases by their neighbors.

I'll post the link if I can find it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:00:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Tag for article.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:33:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top