Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:03 PM EDT
What is it? It looks like an Ak varient. Anyone own one? How are they? Any good pics/info? Whatever it is, its funny looking.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be a good deal at 1/2 of the price...
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a Stoner 63 inspired piston operated weapon. Contrary to popular belief, not every piston operated weapon is an AK variant. The bolt looks similar to that of a G36 and operates in a similar manner. I really like them. They are accurate, reliable and recoil is negligible, even for a 5.56 weapon. The weapon can be changed from rifle to carbine very quickly and ith as an adjustible gas regulator. I think its a great looking weapon, though I am fond of the Stoner 63 and this is as close as any of us will ever come. Development was cut seriously short as they had big plans for this weapon. Alternate calibers and a belt fed version were supposed to follow, but never quite made it. I think Robarm lacked the resources to fully develop the weapon and prices were already way to high to be competitive, so they gave up and left it as is. Had the M96 been fully developed, I think it would have been much more competitive. Several gun rags called it the best .223 autoloader availible....Early models have some issues with the bolt, amongst other things but later versions have been reliable weapons. The Bren configuration is ludicris and a poor substitute for a belt fed conversion. Had they done this right, the XCR would not exist....well, it really doesn't because they cant seem to get this right eiether and they probably will never make it to the market. I personally really like this weapon. I haven't heard a bad thing from friends that own them and they are every bit as accurate as an AR variant. If my gun shop of choice ever gets a used one, I will buy it in a second. I nearly bought one years ago with some cash I fell into, but I decided to take that money and buy 2 AR's and some ammo. You would see many more of them if they weren't 1700.00....Its on the way out, especially if the XCR ever comes online. With piston AR's and Sig/FN weapons, its going to be discontinued. To much money, obscure design, poor support and outclassed by the competition....that being said, I like them and look forward to owning one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the rifle version. I bought it used with only 500 rounds fired from a friend who got tired of the barrel popping out when firing. He gave it to me for $900.00 I shipped it back to Robinson for repair ( no charge ) and it was good to go. Eats Wolf and my reloads without problems. Federal XM193 are manageable too. I recently sent the barrel assembly to ADCO and cut off the cheesy supplied brake and put on a Wilson Combat Brake. Looks much better.

It is a nice handling rifle and accurate. I can do 1/2"-3/4" groups off a rest at 100 yards with ease. I heard the 2006 price will be $1800.00
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:33:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Very solid gun, reliable, with a great two stage trigger.  Mine's accurate as most of my ARs and I really like the quick switch barrel feature, I bought the carbine and also picked up a rifle barrel cheap.  Optics rail can easily be mounted, and the recoil is less than on the AR.  

Downsides: the gun's a bit muzzle heavy, and the stock rear sight's not adjustable for elevation.  Would I buy it again?  Absofreakinglutely.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#5]
hmm well it sounds like a good gun. I think if I were gonna buy a robarms gun it would (or will) be the XCR.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#6]
one just sold on Gunbroker.com for $1175!  If I can get the change together later I'd like to get one - the M96 will be a collector's item.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top