Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 4:27:15 PM EDT
Hey Everybody. I posted this in the main General Discussion, and didn't get much response. I thought I would try here and see if I can get opinions.
I have had pretty rotten luck with firearms failing on me.
I have a Springfield 1911A1 that has plaqued me with jams, and I am in the process of sending it back to Springfield armory to check it out under warranty.
I bought a Mossberg 500 from a guy that works with me. I thought that maybe I would get an 18.5" barrell for it and use it as a home defence gun. Well, I took it to the range the other day, and the very first shell I fired in it stuck (Winchester 00 buck). I racked the pump, and when I tried to chamber the next shell, it wouldn't go cause the first one was stuck in the chamber. After some fiddling with it, I got it out and the gun worked fine afterwards with a variety of ammo.
But it has stuck in my mind. The 1911 jams, the shotgun jam. Then I started thinking about other failures I have experienced over the years. 22 rifles jamming and squib loads. Hang fires in my .30-06 bolt rifle and black powder rifles. I have seen other people plaqued with autoloading handguns jamming. I have had both my AR-15's jam (Although they haven't done it since I installed my Magpul anti-tilt followers) Even my H&R single barrel shotgun had to be sent back to the factory because it was popping open due to the recoil from firing it. That is a scary feeling, to shoot a 12 gauge single barrel, and have the shotgun break open by itself right after the shot goes off.
As a matter of fact, the only firearms that I have owned that have not failed me (yet) was a SS Taurus PT-92 that functioned perfectly for years despite whatever kind of crap ammo I through at it and my Double barrel Baikal 12 gauge shotgun. Also I have owned two revolvers that I never had a missfire, etc. with.
So I'm wondering, is it just me? Does anybody else here have problems with their guns? How often do you experience failures from your weapons? I am planning on buying a Glock, just because I have heard great things about how they hardly never jam, but knowing my luck I will find a way to screw that up too.
Oh, and I forgot to mention my M1 Garand, I ordered an H&R Garand Service grade from the CMP. The first time I took it out, the trigger guard would pop open every time I fired it I thought the rifle was going to fly apart!!
I quit shooting it, and called the CMP. They put me through to one of the guys that work on them and he said to just bend the trigger guard until it locks up tight. I ended up replacing the stock and "tightened" the trigger guard like he suggested. I have only fired it once since then, but haven't experienced that problem since. I have had a couple of failure to feeds with the Garand as well.
Like I said, I have not had the best luck with weaponry and if I ever had to use one of mine, I would be scared to death that it wouldn't function properly.

I clean and lube my stuff after every range trip, and try to maintain all my weapons. Most of my stuff looks brand new. So what is the deal?? Do I have unrealistic expectations? Does anybody else here have problems with their firearms not functioning properly?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:38:28 PM EDT
Man, you've got bad luck if all that happened to you with quality factory built weapons, I don't know what to say, I personally have NEVER owned a weapon that I felt was unreliable, from AR's to HK pistols to SIG's to Glocks to AK's and beyond. Sorry, but you are just jinxed I guess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:22:49 PM EDT
I can't say that I've had many weapons that experienced chronic failures. Out of the dozen or so AR's I've owned over the years, I"ve had exactly 2 malfunctions. One was when I switched to a short barrel and was fixed by adding an extra power extractor spring and a #60 O-ring. The second was a broken extractor on the same rifle. That particular gun has god knows how many rounds through it.
I've bought out of spec ammo that would not feed, but that was'nt the guns fault.
I did buy a Jennings .22 many years ago that would automatically fire the first round when chambered, that was my fault for buying a POS. I did buy a Special Weapons SW52, that had all kinds of problems, but were eventually fixed.
The Mossy 500 you have might have a rough chamber, I might be wrong here, but I'm not so sure that the 500 has a chrome lined chamber like most shotguns do. So check that out.
The H&R problem your having must be fairly common, because I had a buddy that had one that did the same thing, unfortunatly I can't remember exactly what was causing it.
Remember guns are mechanical, and things do wear out and break, get dirty, and malfunction. But yeah, you've had a bad run of luck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:51:08 PM EDT
I have had problems with a Springfield 1911 "Loaded" lots of FTF and jams. It was sent to the gunsmith two times, and I had to buy new mags and replace an extractor blah blah....blah.

Well, I finally had enough with the Springfield and 1911s in general so I sold it for a AR15.

I now own HKs SIGs Glocks Walthers and have had ZERO problems. Maybe it was a bad Springfield or 1911 issues.

Another bad gun for me was a Ruger Mini 30. My first deer rifle. The Mini 30 had a gas port issue and would not cycle ammo. It was sent to Ruger twice and would not work right. So I sold it.....for the Springfield 1911 that jammed too

Other problem guns Remington 1100 and 870.

870 would short stroke when I was hunting (my fault) but it drove me nuts.....and the whole gun would lock up.

1100 would jam, and parts would break. Dumped it for a Benelli.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:05:10 PM EDT
I've had zero problems with my USP Tac (<1k) and P226(>1k), I've had a FTE on a Ruger 22 pistol, FTF in most of my AR (but because of a bad lot of ammo and not the guns) a broken bolt, double feeds (bad magazine) and even a round stuck between the charging handle and the bolt (that was scary, and again a bad mag).

With all that said, you do seem to have bad luck.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:20:21 PM EDT
I have had several guns that had problems. Brand new Marlin 39 after 5 rounds the lever locked open with ammo in the gun. After it was repaired it was flawless. AR-7 that the hammer snapped in half. Other than that all the rest of the guns I've owned have worked ok.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:30:21 PM EDT
On your CMP Garand, you had a bad stock. Cmp doesn't consider the stock part of the gun, and refuses to replace an ill fitting stock. I have had the same experience as you, and their head armorer said I was SOL if I got a bad stock, it was up to me to get another that was in spec.

The shotty sounds like a chamber cleaning issue.

You do sound like you have gotten a run of lemons.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:32:08 PM EDT
After doing some investigation into the shotgun incident, it appears it was ammo related. I took the shell that stuck, took the barrell off the shotgun and tried to insert the shell into the chamber. It wouldn't go in without forcing it. It looks like it must have warped or something??
New unfired shells slip in slick as a button.
The shell was a Winchester 00 Buck, and I don't think my shotgun likes that stuff!!
I am going to try some Federal buckshot and also some Wolf. Either way, I have an 18.5" barrell on the way to make it a little more "Tactical"

Yes, my gun luck sucks. I have had some good ones though. Hopefully I will get the cash to get the Glock 17 in a couple of weeks.
Just in time for the Roanoke gun show!!
Top Top