Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:39:08 PM EDT
Do you guys think a Romanian SAR-1 in very good condition is a good trade for a Cetme or would it be a rip off and if its a rip off whos getting screwed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:16:28 AM EDT
I am partial to AKs so I would say that the SAR1 in good condition is a good deal for a CETME.

But that is my opinion.

Max
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:54:52 AM EDT
How you looked at and fired the CETME? If you have and there is no problem with it, it is probably a fair trade. They both ran about the same on cost when you could by the CETME's. I think most of them are gone now.

I don't know which is yours, but if you are trading for the AK, I would look at the same things. Both are usually work overs by Century. Some of their stuff is good, and some not.

The first CETME I bought was a piece of junk, but I took it back to the dealer and he swapped it for another one. That one was great. Everything straight, reliable and accurate. I still have it and enjoy shooting it.

Good Luck....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:08:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 9:11:07 AM EDT by I-M-A-WMD]
Having had a SAR-1, twice, and letting go of both... I would NOT trade it off for a CETME. I have a friend who owns a CETME and overall I'm not impressed w/ it as a MBR.

Here's my take on it-

The SAR-1 as an AK type weapon is definately par for the course. It's everything an AK should be @ an affordable price. Just as long as the sights are straight and the monkeys @ CAI didn't fudge its assembly. As far as the AK series platform goes- the SAR-1s are good to go.

The CETME, as a 7.62x51 chambered Main Battle Rifle, misses on numerous counts as far as being par for the course. Out of a 308 MBR, I expect good sights, the ability to reliably scope the platform, long range accuracy + fit/finish etc. While the CETME is an economical offering of a 308 cal MBR- it doesn't meet the platform's expectation IMHO.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide what your expectatations are of the weapon, it's platform & intended useage. If the caliber is your main concern, it's near impossible to argue against the performace of the 7.62x51/308 and the CETME is certainly economical. While I champion the 308 chambering, the various platforms available and IMHO the lack of those platforms' offerings to meet my expectations is why I currently don't have a 30 cal MBR.

Hope my .02 helps.

Sly

ETA, I'm uncertain if you have the SAR or the CETME in the beginning of this deal... If you're starting w/ the CETME make sure the SAR you're considering a trade into has straight sights, accepts magazines with ease and functions well. As I said, CAI can throw up out some poor work.
Top Top