Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 6:39:08 PM EDT
Do you guys think a Romanian SAR-1 in very good condition is a good trade for a Cetme or would it be a rip off and if its a rip off whos getting screwed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:16:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I am partial to AKs so I would say that the SAR1 in good condition is a good deal for a CETME.

But that is my opinion.

Max
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
How you looked at and fired the CETME?  If you have and there is no problem with it, it is probably a fair trade.  They both ran about the same on cost when you could by the CETME's.  I think most of them are gone now.

I don't know which is yours, but if you are trading for the AK, I would look at the same things.  Both are usually work overs by Century.  Some of their stuff is good, and some not.

The first CETME I bought was a piece of junk, but I took it back to the dealer and he swapped it for another one.  That one was great.  Everything straight, reliable and accurate.  I still have it and enjoy shooting it.

Good Luck....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:08:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Having had a SAR-1, twice, and letting go of both... I would NOT trade it off for a CETME.  I have a friend who owns a CETME and overall I'm not impressed w/ it as a MBR.

Here's my take on it-

The SAR-1 as an AK type weapon is definately par for the course.  It's everything an AK should be @ an affordable price.  Just as long as the sights are straight and the monkeys @ CAI didn't fudge its assembly. As far as the AK series platform goes- the SAR-1s are good to go.  

The CETME, as a 7.62x51 chambered Main Battle Rifle, misses on numerous counts as far as being par for the course.  Out of a 308 MBR, I expect good sights, the ability to reliably scope the platform, long range accuracy + fit/finish etc.  While the CETME is an economical offering of a 308 cal MBR- it doesn't meet the platform's expectation IMHO.

Ultimately it is up to you to decide what your expectatations are of the weapon, it's platform & intended useage.  If the caliber is your main concern, it's near impossible to argue against the performace of the 7.62x51/308 and the CETME is certainly economical.  While I champion the 308 chambering, the various platforms available and IMHO the lack of those platforms' offerings to meet my expectations is why I currently don't have a 30 cal MBR.

Hope my .02 helps.

Sly

ETA, I'm uncertain if you have the SAR or the CETME in the beginning of this deal...  If you're starting w/ the CETME make sure the SAR you're considering a trade into has straight sights, accepts magazines with ease and functions well.  As I said, CAI can throw up out some poor work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top