Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2006 12:26:30 PM EDT
What is the quality level of the Century G3/CETME rifles? What kind of accuracy can you expect from a Century G3 and would it be easy to add the collapsible stock and wide forearm from my G3A4 parts kit? Any overall comments/opinions? I found an excellent deal on a Century G3 at my local gun store, in non-ban trim and I would realy like to buy it. provided that its a decent weapon.
How would someting like this compare to a JLDPTR in accuracy/reliability. Obviously, the PTR is going to be a better weapon, but is the Century atleast comperable? Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I got an excellent deal on a century cetme

and it doesnt work.  so be careful about "great deals" on century products, someone might be trying to unload a lemon on you
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one I bought for 380.00$ a few years ago. Zero failures to feed, no mechanical failures and no function issues. It was however, poorly finished with some kind of paint, tumpura paint or somthing terrible. I cleaned it up and refinished it, so it only looks lightly used instead of looking like it was drug behind a bulldozer. Accuracy wise with surplus ammo I bought from Midway it would produce 2.5" groups at 100 yards, other surplus ammo ran 3-4" . After some experimentation I have a reload that shoots 1.5" on average, but its hard to get good groups with the long gritty trigger. Over all My Centry G3 is one of my favorite rifles- especialy for the money. I am not sure if I got lucky, or what the deal is because I have heard complaints from others- Know what you are getting.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a Century G-3 about three years ago.  It  isn't pretty, but it has always worked.  Never a problem with functioning.  It takes alloy mags fine, but steel mags do not fit well.  I have not shot for accuracy, but at 25 yards the holes were almost touching, so I figure it's pretty close at 100yds.  Since the ban went down, I have added the flash suppresor, a wide foregrip from Top Notch (not bad at all) and an early style HK collapsible stock.  I like it, but I still plan to get a JLD PTR in the future.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had a CETME for a few years that functions fine, is headspaced right and it sights in
correctly.  In fact, I've come to like the CETME sights more than those on my HK.

That said, I would be very leary of buying another one since they are very hit or miss
quality wise.  I guess the only way I would was if I could buy one for well under $300
so I have some room to fix whats wrong.  Otherwise I'd get a PTR-91 if I want another HK
style gun.  They are a lot more money but the quality is uniform and generally good.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:36:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Over the years I've had the chance to fire around a dozzen Century made guns frome Cetmes, FAL's WASR 10's ect and none of them could make it through a feull mag with out jaming. Century is pure junk in my book!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:21:59 AM EDT
[#6]
accuracy
1-4 inchs at 100yrds very ammo and shooter dependat, along  withif century fucked  the rifle up!

add ons(stocks ect) wide forarm for the g3 clone,, drops right in,, collasping stick,, slides right on ( cetme  you may need to  snad down the  recoil srping retainer since its  a g3 stock)

sides that, century isnt known for the great work lol   so you have to look over the rifle and know the  weapons system.  they all use the same parts pretty much, and imho some g3 parts are easier to be had than forthe cetme parts, specially in the US made area.

if you go with a century,, just look over rifle good, check the bolt gap,,check for canted sights,, bad welds  .. overall  finish is up to you ,,  cuz all it takes is  some AH2 or dura coat to fix it  up...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
It seems like I managed to get the only CETME that CIA produced correctly. Other than a tight fitting buttstock, this rifle has been pretty sweet. No FTE or FTFs. Smooth operation and decent accuracy (once I figured out how to use the sights ). The charging handle was smooth out of the box and is even more so now that I lubed it up with white lithium.

I probably will never test my luck again with CIA, but I am happy with my CETME.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#8]
get JLD and dont look back.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top