Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 11:14:09 AM EDT
When I was a kid I went to Living History Farms in Iowa. It was a real working 18th century town with farms nearby. Working at the general store was a very likeable old guy that was close friends with my grandfather(now passed away). He used to send my Gpa Christmas cards in crayon on pieces of cardboard. Funny guy.

Anyway, this guy had a cane that could shoot .38 rounds from the end. He fired it off in the street a few times for me. (this was shortly after he sold me some old school chewing tobacco(I was in 5th grade) and told me a story about how he gave some to a rabbit and it ran over a hill and whooped a fox)

I have looked everywhere for a cane gun and have come up dry. Are they even made anymore? I would buy one in .38 or the .410 model. I really really want to own one. I would carry it every day. I'm even satrting to wonder how hard it would be to manufacture one. Has anyone done this?

This seems like an item that could be carried rather inconspicuously. If it was made well I doubt it would attract much notice to anyone that didn't know what it was.

I need your help ladies and gents, to find or build this item. Where there is a will there is a way, I have been told. I just don't want to pay thousands of dollars for an antique model that may not work anymore, and is rather fragile. I want a new and robust cane gun that can be used/abused on a daily basis.

Thanks,
2IDdoc
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm 99.9% sure that it will be an NFA item under the AOW category, but I dont see it being too hard to create one as a single shot
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm 99.9% sure that it will be an NFA item under the AOW category.

Yep. You'd have to file the appropriate paperwork with the BATF and pay the $200 tax stamp fee to build one. If you find one already built AND NFA REGISTERED, you'd only have to pay a $5 tax stamp fee.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
IIRC a muzzle loading cane gun wouldn't be NFA.  CCW laws would still apply though.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#4]
It's an NFA item?
I wonder why? $200 bucks to build vs. $5 to transfer sounds like a no brainer, but they seem a little difficult to find.

The muzzle loading option would work, but it would probably only be able to be loaded right before firing. I want to be able to carry it on a walk and snap it up to my shoulder to take a squirrel or rabbit or something that happens across my path.

Well, I'm gonna start looking around the net some more right now. I can't get this thing out of my head. I want one of these cane guns even more than a homemade mountain howitzer. That's pretty serious.

Thanks for the info so far. Good heads up on the NFA rule. It's good to know stuff like that before I go show it off to the local cops in town.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 11:28:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Have tried just punching in CANE GUN in google or your browser yet?

You would be supprised what you can find like that!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top