Site Notices
Page / 13
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 9:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Shooterer:

Originally Posted By _DR:

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By Shooterer:
A dab of bright color nail polish on the front sight, saves you $60.00 for a Trijicon post.

What's next, lip gloss on the flash hider?

Feelings hurt

Can we now move on with the topic?

Oh, by the way... I once used a tampon to clean a

Don't feel hurt. Me and my friends paint our sight posts on our SKS/Nagants/Mausers with day glow orange. if it works it is good!
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By jls7:
If for some reason you find yourself removing your old stock and you have no idea what you are doing, and your rear take down pin spring flies across the room never to be found again (Because you didnt have a sheet over your head ) have no fear you have an unlimited supply of these springs at your local 7-11. What the hell is he talking about!!? Im talking about the spring in A BIC lighter that pushes the flint up aginst the rolling strike wheel. It is exactly the same diameter and applies enough force on the detent when installed to keep the TDP from moving indefinitly. This way you dont have to order a .50 part and pay $7 in shipping for a stupid little spring that should have stayed in the gun anyway goddamit.

JLS7

+1, That's the best tip yet.
Link Posted: 6/11/2005 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I cut the threaded end cap off of a center lock-up post from an AAC VG covered it with thin inner tube - it holds 2 'N' batteries perfectly and I lash it thru the upper vents slots in my SIR #50 SC BL  with a fat hair tie!!

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By KR20:
tag

You can't..........ah, nevermind.

Welcome to the board

WIZZO
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 3:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks WIZZO

I am still trying to sort out how things work here.

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:14:55 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By kjedmondson182:
may not save you money, but will save your tears or a few choice words:
put a small piece of tape(masking, double layer) on the lower on the side you are going to punch the bolt-catch roll pin in.  its too easy to scrape your punch along the reciever making a nice scratch.

Amen to that one!

Originally Posted By TNRonin:
Here is what I did for a front detent installation.  I took a screw driver cut off the tip (flat or cross, doesn't matter), at a point approx 3/8 from the end drill a hole that will allow the spring and detent to pass thru it (I don't know the dims for the hole).  This allow you to insert the screwdriver into the front takedown holes, insert the spring/detent, push it thru and turn the screw driver shaft capturing the spring/detent in the down position.  Now chase the screwdriver out with the takedown pin.  This make a frustrating job fairly easy IMHO.

IIRC, isn’t this just about what the real tool ($35?) is like. It’s a great idea and the thought never even crossed my mind… go figure.

Originally Posted By scottinhawaii:
a .50 cal brush works great for scrubbing the inside of the bolt carrier.

I like this one too.

And for my .02 worth…

When painting, tie a piece of string around a washer, then feed the string down the barrel from the breech to the muzzle. You now have a string to hang you rifle from that doesn’t touch anything else and has your rifle very accessible to paint.

When going shooting, haul your ammo cans out in a plastic milk/water crate. Once you get there you can use the crate to stack your arfs in a nice orderly fashion.

Color the stamping on your magazine floor plate. Not that any of us shoot with people who are looking to take our things home with them, but this keeps everybody straight on who’s mags are who’s. You and all your shooting buddies have a different color. My color happens to be blue.

Not that I have ever seen an arf with cosmoline, but if you do need to de-cosmoline a weapon, wipe as much off as possible using paper towels then take it down to the local self-serve car wash and use the engine degreaser and high pressure wash to finish it all off. One little note, make you clean well right after you get it back home to prevent rust.

One other thing I do for the parts of the bolt group if I have a loooong time to clean something. I’ll disassemble everything and leave it all in a small-wide mouth bottle of Hoppe’s for… a month. When you come back to it, everything wipes off clean as a whistle. ZERO carbon. I have a little piece of PVC pipe with a glued on end cap that I do the same with for the carrier.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:28:04 AM EDT
[#8]

If for some reason you find yourself removing your old stock and you have no idea what you are doing, and your rear take down pin spring flies across the room never to be found again (Because you didnt have a sheet over your head ) have no fear you have an unlimited supply of these springs at your local 7-11. What the hell is he talking about!!? Im talking about the spring in A BIC lighter that pushes the flint up aginst the rolling strike wheel. It is exactly the same diameter and applies enough force on the detent when installed to keep the TDP from moving indefinitly. This way you dont have to order a .50 part and pay $7 in shipping for a stupid little spring that should have stayed in the gun anyway goddamit.

JLS7

Thats pretty sweet, I had to check it out, of course you were right.

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:31:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dace] [#9]

Originally Posted By ch139:
And for my .02 worth…

When painting, tie a piece of string around a washer, then feed the string down the barrel from the breech to the muzzle. You now have a string to hang you rifle from that doesn’t touch anything else and has your rifle very accessible to paint.

photos.templarfirearms.com/albums/userpics/10001/normal_IMG_1636.JPG

When going shooting, haul your ammo cans out in a plastic milk/water crate. Once you get there you can use the crate to stack your arfs in a nice orderly fashion.

img.photobucket.com/albums/1103/Monster11/arf/de084a17.gif

I will be using both those tips tomorrow, thanks a lot.  Especially the paint one, I was trying to figure out where to hang my gun for refinishing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:13:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QUIB] [#11]
When custom fitting KAC rail covers, don’t throw away those end scrap pieces.  If you use rails that have holes along the length  (YHM) you can reuse the scraps by drilling a hole in them to accept a screw. The rail cover can then be mounted by inserting an automotive threaded rubber insert (Lowes or Home Depot) at your desired rail position, sliding the cover on, and securing with the screw.

Some weight and bulk can be removed from a CCH BUIS by cutting down the mounting bolt and adding a suitable nut to the bolt. This nut happens to be an “AN Spec” aircraft nut.  (IM me if your interested in more info on this BUIS)

If you have the BM catalog in .pdf down loaded, a laminated copy of the AR15 exploded view makes a nice addition to your spare parts bin.

Link Posted: 6/12/2005 10:23:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Tagged...
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#13]

JLS7

Thanks for the awesome tip.  

I'm always trying to find odd size small springs for all kinds of firearms.  

GPK...out
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:32:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Willamette] [#14]
Three tips for locating small parts that hit the floor, such as detents, springs, pins, etc.  

For hard floors set an illuminated flashlight onto the floor to shine its beam across the surface.  Try to reduce the room lighting and look for cast shadows from the part(s).  You may need to move the flashlight at different compass points around the floor to get the best shadow from the part.

For hard floors or carpetted floors, use a vacuum with a new bag or cleaned out filter, vacuum the area of the lost part, then open the vacuum bag or canister to locate the part.  If the part is magnetic, then using a fridge magnet or tool magnet may aid in speeding up the recovery.  This would also work with a broom for hard floors by sweeping everything into a pile, then performing the search within the pile.

This one is a little difficult to recommend, but I have had good success with it, especially with carpetted floors.  If you dropped a part, saw it's initial path when it fell, but were unable to see where it landed and looked all over the place for it but could not find it, then use an exact spare part or similar sized and shaped part to duplicate its fall.  You will be better able to watch the trajectory of the second part and quite often the part will rest close to where the original part came to rest.  If this fails, you can always resort to the first two tips.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:36:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By Willamette:

This one is a little difficult to recommend, but I have had good success with it, especially with carpetted floors.  If you dropped a part, saw it's initial path when it fell, but were unable to see where it landed and looked all over the place for it but could not find it, then use an exact spare part or similar sized and shaped part to duplicate its fall.  Quite often the part will rest close to where the original part fell.  If this fails, you can always resort to the first two tips.  

With this method, I guess once the pile of parts gets big enough you can't overlook it!
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By QUIB:

With this method, I guess once the pile of parts gets big enough you can't overlook it!hr

LOL, very true!  God bless gravity!
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 2:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]

JLS7

Use the spring from the mini BIC. It's a little shorter and the tension is perfect. Just used this one recently when I bent the hell out of the original spring. The full size spring was hard to pack the whole spring in so found an old mini and it was perfect.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:24:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By Forest:

Originally Posted By Knife_Sniper:
1) Never, under any circumstances, use cheap products to paint a rifle.

Why?  Most 'operators' use the cheap paint to do theirs.

That's right- it makes it easier to change the pattern depending on the evironment.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#19]
An ordinary carpenter's nail set is my "universal AR-15 tool".  

Pop out takedown and pivot pins, adjust sights, release trigger guard, push out firing pin retainer, and more.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 9:56:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Never cook bacon in the nude.

(because "tag" is so overused)
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By Willamette:
Three tips for locating small parts that hit the floor, such as detents, springs, pins, etc.  

For hard floors set an illuminated flashlight onto the floor to shine its beam across the surface.  Try to reduce the room lighting and look for cast shadows from the part(s).  You may need to move the flashlight at different compass points around the floor to get the best shadow from the part.

For hard floors or carpetted floors, use a vacuum with a new bag or cleaned out filter, vacuum the area of the lost part, then open the vacuum bag or canister to locate the part.  If the part is magnetic, then using a fridge magnet or tool magnet may aid in speeding up the recovery.  This would also work with a broom for hard floors by sweeping everything into a pile, then performing the search within the pile.

This one is a little difficult to recommend, but I have had good success with it, especially with carpetted floors.  If you dropped a part, saw it's initial path when it fell, but were unable to see where it landed and looked all over the place for it but could not find it, then use an exact spare part or similar sized and shaped part to duplicate its fall.  You will be better able to watch the trajectory of the second part and quite often the part will rest close to where the original part came to rest.  If this fails, you can always resort to the first two tips.  

One more to add to these Handy tips...

If you drop a part on the "Floor" but can't for the life of you find it.  Check in your shoe and in the tread I have mare than once found e-clips and what not stuck in my tread after 20 Min plus of searching.

GPK...out

Ps. a light dress sock or your wifes/gfs nylon over the wand of your vacume saves the time of changing the bag/filter.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#22]
For people like me who seem to lose things right in front of them, the magnet bowl is good, and so is a good strong magnet set close to where you are working, sometimes it will catch the little parts as they skid across the bench, and they are good for trolling he floor for lost springs and pins.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#23]
When you're building a lower and need to drive the bolt catch pin, a cheap transfer punch like one found in this set can save your receiver.  Transfer punches have a conical point on the face that will keep the punch centered on the roll pin, plus it's long enough that your hammer will be safely away from the receiver when you drive the pin.  It makes installation a snap.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By StealthyBlagga:
Paracord wrapped around aluminum freefloat tubes makes them much more comfortable as the barrel heats up:

Remember - that's PARACORD, not PRIMACORD!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Every year my insurance agent sends me small calendars with a magnetic sheet backing.  I put these under whatever I'm working on to catch any loose falling parts, instead of them bouncing off the workbench.  The great thing is every year my magnetic "mat" gets bigger and bigger!
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 2:06:26 PM EDT
[#26]

When you think about painting a rifle the word you really should be focused on is refinishing your rifle

Not true!   I refinished my M16 with high temp engine paint, and it looks beautiful, and has been exceptionally good against wear.  I think the biggest problem is people don't prep correctly;  I degreased everything,  heated the lower to about 200 degrees and then sprayed a couple of thin coats of paint on.  Back in the oven at 450 for about 3 hours and the enamel is tough as nails.

Lemme see if I can find a pic of the stuff I used.

Here it is;  Damn fine stuff if you apply it the right way.

Link Posted: 6/13/2005 3:21:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Gunbert, do you have a pic of your rifle that you painted?

thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:36:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gunbert] [#28]

Originally Posted By ttech:
Gunbert, do you have a pic of your rifle that you painted?

thanks

I didn't paint this whole gun, I only painted the lower reciever; the original SGW/Oly finish was very worn and shiny.  It wasn't bad, just not matte black like the rest of the gun.  The color match to regular hard annodized and coated black isn't perfect, but you can't tell unless you're looking for it. Most people think I had it professionally refinished.  This is the best pic I have of the lower now, I might be able to find one of how it looked before.

Edited to add; the photo server for this site sucks donkey balls.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#29]
thank God.  I thought you painted it Chebby orange.
Link Posted: 6/13/2005 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Tagola........This is good stuff!
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:07:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By Gunbert:

When you think about painting a rifle the word you really should be focused on is refinishing your rifle

Not true!   I refinished my M16 with high temp engine paint, and it looks beautiful, and has been exceptionally good against wear.  I think the biggest problem is people don't prep correctly;  I degreased everything,  heated the lower to about 200 degrees and then sprayed a couple of thin coats of paint on.  Back in the oven at 450 for about 3 hours and the enamel is tough as nails.

The High temp paint will probably work to paint the the barrel, I mean It IS HIGH TEMPERATURE PAINT. Somebody else try it first.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I painted my gas block wiht teh high temp paint after I hacked the sight off, and after getting the barrel hot enough to melt my sling, it's still black.
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 1:56:40 AM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By Gunbert:

The High temp paint will probably work to paint the the barrel, I mean It IS HIGH TEMPERATURE PAINT. Somebody else try it first.

I also painted my 10.5" upper with the same paint, and it looks great, no noticeable wear, even on the vortex flash hider.  If the paint won't flake off a vortex on a short barrel, it should be ok for most applications.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2005 11:44:24 PM EDT
[#34]
OH MY TAGGAGE
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#35]
This might not work for all of you like it has for me, but it really only cost a few bucks-

I had a spare A2 FS and I used our surveying Blaze Orange Marking Paint to give it a nice bright glow.  I walk into the bank with that A2 installed and then when I'm inside, I swap back to the original.  This accomplishes two things- the people who see me first and call the police think I'm just some dumbass with a toy gun- they see the orange tip and the police recognize that as a toy.  Once I get inside, I swap so that those people know I mean business.  They will trip the alarms and the police ought to say "hmm...  We already got a call about that bank.  The dumbass teller must not know the difference.  Let the old security guard take care of that airsoft kid..."

It works better for me because Steve at ADCO ensures he picks A2s that will line up without needing peel washers or crush washers.  I can swap my FS out instantly and have it timed perfectly in seconds!!!!

I keep a little pack of paintballs with me so i can smash those over my arms and chest.  Everyone outisde will think I was inside playing paintball and am running away with the "loot"

Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:38:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Flat black Alumahyde II is great for front sight posts and rear apertures for a durable finish that keeps them dark & non-glare.  Practice with it first, a thin layer is all it takes and only adds .001" thickness to the surface.  Be patient and let it cure for a full week so that the Alumahyde can get nice and hard so you don't muck it up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:49:11 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By wyv3rn:
Flat black Alumahyde II is great for front sight posts and rear apertures for a durable finish that keeps them dark & non-glare.  Practice with it first, a thin layer is all it takes and only adds .001" thickness to the surface.  Be patient and let it cure for a full week so that the Alumahyde can get nice and hard so you don't muck it up.

Along the same lines.......when we would go to the range to qualify we would darken up our sights by turning up the flame on a BIC lighter and holding it under our sights. A burning plastic MRE spoon would provide the same effect, and both are removable when needed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 1:52:14 PM EDT
[#38]
tag
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 5:57:07 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By QUIB:

Originally Posted By wyv3rn:

Along the same lines.......when we would go to the range to qualify we would darken up our sights by turning up the flame on a BIC lighter and holding it under our sights. A burning plastic MRE spoon would provide the same effect, and both are removable when needed.

Nifty, I had heard of using soot, etc.  I tried a bunch of things like that myself.  I  wanted something more permanent because I hate having to touch up sights all the time.  With this I do them once and forget about it.  Maybe next time I'll try something else like one of those fancy GunKote, Duracoat, etc. coatings.  I just used this because I had it on hand, it works great and never had a need to change.
Link Posted: 6/17/2005 9:07:26 PM EDT
[#40]
...it's all good.
Link Posted: 6/22/2005 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#41]
This is my no-cost tip for all of you with a rattling collapsible stock mainly the M-4 nylon type
( not alum ) !

Take the stock off the tube and put it in a vise with a rag around it to keep from marring it up . Squeese it  side to side in the vise but don't go crazy , while it is in the vise take a hair dryer and blow through the stock heating it up , do both ends , this only takes about  1min all together , then ck it for fit on the tube , repeat if nessesary to get desired fit .
You then have a stock that fits nice and tight with no rattling !
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:57:03 AM EDT
[#42]
does anyone have a pic of the o-ring around the front lug trick. It seems that it would work  to tighten the upper/ lower slop problem rather than a accu- wedge.
regards
dj1075    
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 1:52:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Tag.

I saw the using a pair of pliers to squeeze in the mag catch pin instead of a punch and it makes all the difference in the world.  This should be standard proceedure for installing that pin.  Actually I install the trigger guard roll pin the same way.  quick squeeze and it's in with no riisk of marring the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:20:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Plastic ties to take off and put on the Tango Down VG
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 7:52:00 PM EDT
[#46]
tag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#47]
the ink catridges on the inside of Pilot G-2 pens are the same diameter as the front take down pins.  They make a great detent tool.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By JosephR:
This might not work for all of you like it has for me, but it really only cost a few bucks-

I had a spare A2 FS and I used our surveying Blaze Orange Marking Paint to give it a nice bright glow.  I walk into the bank with that A2 installed and then when I'm inside, I swap back to the original.  This accomplishes two things- the people who see me first and call the police think I'm just some dumbass with a toy gun- they see the orange tip and the police recognize that as a toy.  Once I get inside, I swap so that those people know I mean business.  They will trip the alarms and the police ought to say "hmm...  We already got a call about that bank.  The dumbass teller must not know the difference.  Let the old security guard take care of that airsoft kid..."

It works better for me because Steve at ADCO ensures he picks A2s that will line up without needing peel washers or crush washers.  I can swap my FS out instantly and have it timed perfectly in seconds!!!!

I keep a little pack of paintballs with me so i can smash those over my arms and chest.  Everyone outisde will think I was inside playing paintball and am running away with the "loot"

IDIOT
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:31:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eclipsester] [#49]

Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Wow, that reminds me of the days back in my teen years we used to fuck everything up with wrist rockets.
Page / 13
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top