Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2005 3:03:40 PM EDT
Today I tested Hornady's new LeverEvolution .30-30 ammo. For those who came in late, this is the stuff Hornady is loading with a soft plastic pointed tip (lower durometer for you engineering types) that is safe for use in a tubular magazine. Combine this 160 grain streamlined boattail & Hornady's "Light Magnum" charge technology & you see why they're calling it "Evolution".

Well to be brief I was disappointed.

First its accuracy: I mean we're talking AK here. The best it would do was 6" for 3 shots at 100 yards. For control purposes, I fired some Remington 170 gr CoreLokts and Federal 125 gr hollow points. The Remington grouped under 2-1/2" at 100. Moving back to 50 yards the Federals gouped in 1-1/4" & the Hornady was over 3". A few weeks ago I checked zero with my preferred hunting load, Federal's Premium, loaded with 170 gr Noslers & got groups of 2" at 100 yards. So it's not me or the gun.

Secondly the velocity was a bit slower than advertised: The box says 2400 fps. I expected this was for 24" barrels & so I thought it would be more like 2300 or so out of my 20" Model 94. THe stuff averaged 2222 fps when shot over my PACT chrono. The Remington 170's average 2030, the Federal Nosler 170's go 2130 (that's what makes this my favorite) and the Fed 125's go 2450 (antipersonnel load?). Actually I could live with this velocity if only the accuracy was better.

My rifle is a Winchester Model 94, 20" barrel, angle eject made before they added the stupid crossbolt safety and with XS peep sights added.

So my vote is thumbs down for now. What good is improving the trajectory if the load is so innacurate you can't take advantage of it?

Anyone else with a different rifle (Marlin, T/C) please let us know what you're getting with this stuff.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Bummer, I like the concept but like you said, if the accuracy isn' t there to ethically extend your hunting range, what's the point? Six inches at 100 doesn't even make an honest 200 yard deer rifle. Seem to remember a test a month or so back, one of the mags was using the Hornady and raving about the accuracy. Imagine that, a gun magazine raving over the newest thing Hope other reports come in better than you experienced.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:01:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

First its accuracy: I mean we're talking AK here. The best it would do was 6" for 3 shots at 100 yards.

That's and insult to AK's! My SAR-1 does 4" at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:26:53 PM EDT
[#3]
That was factory loaded ammo, right?  

I'd really like to get my hands on just the bullets, then work up a load that will work.  It could be just that your rifle doesn't like their load.  

Of course, I need to get another .30-30... I'm thinking about replacing the Marlin 336 I bought and sold off within a year a while back.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:52:55 AM EDT
[#4]

That was factory loaded ammo, right?

Yup factory loads.

Like I pointed out though, my rifle shoots everything else into 2.5" or better, from 125's to 170's.

I hope Hornady gets this worked out - I really like the idea.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear that, I was expecting big things out of this ammo.  Funny thing is, light mag and HE loads have been the only factory loads I've found to achieve their purported velocities, while standard factory loads have been way off.  I would have expected it to be a lot more accurate, but some loads just don't like certain guns.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Anyone else with a different rifle (Marlin, T/C) please let us know what you're getting with this stuff.

I got considerably better then that through my 20" Marlin 336 .
More like 5" groups with irons and sub 2MOA with a 3x9 scope
with an ambient temp hovering around 10° F and light winds .

I should add that this rifle has always shot well . Typically
3-4 MOA with good ammo and an optic . I only fired 20 rounds
but I plan on doing some more testing in better weather and longer
ranges . Where traditional 30-30 ammo shows it loss because
of round nose bullets ballistic coefficient .

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Six inches at 100 doesn't even make an honest 200 yard deer rifle.

Actually, it doesn't make a very good 100 yd deer load.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn,havnt even heard of this stuff.Sounds like an outstanding idea,hopefully they will work out the execution.Also would buy these bullets by the bucket load,hopefully they will put them on the market.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:08:16 AM EDT
[#9]
They're supposed to become available as reloading components soon.

Actually, it doesn't make a very good 100 yd deer load.

+1

I got considerably better then that through my 20" Marlin 336 .
More like 5" groups with irons and sub 2MOA with a 3x9 scope

I'm assuming by irons you mean the factory open sight? If so it sounds like your rifle shoots them OK at least, 4-5" is all you can expect with opens. Is your Marlin an older one with Micro-groove rifling?

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Far be it for me to insult AK's!

But my AK was 6 MOA with any ammo I ever tried in it. Even with a 4x scope attached.
I got rid of it, and lost all interest in 7.62x39 weaponry.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Far be it for me to insult AK's!

But my AK was 6 MOA with any ammo I ever tried in it. Even with a 4x scope attached.
I got rid of it, and lost all interest in 7.62x39 weaponry.

YOU'RE NOT WELCOME TO THIS HOUSE, BUDDY!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top