BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:23:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Swiss Arms still makes the ENTIRE 55X series, not SIG.
How do I know this? In Canada they just got a shipment of the short rifles from Swiss Arms.
Swiss Arms has quite a few LE and MIL contracts that they have been filling in so the gun is still in production. Sales are doing well eneugh to make Swiss Arms want to release a 7.62X39 model that takes AK mags and a new .308 model. Don't beleive me?
img269.imageshack.us/img269/5383/saprdeployed7bf.jpg

img354.imageshack.us/img354/9684/26762762mmsig5510fx.jpg

Oh I beleive you. SIG has had the SIG SG-540 and SG-542 for years, way before the SIG 550. Both were made in 7.62 .243 .222 .223 and 7.62X39.

I would want a SIG 540 .308 over a SIG 550 .223.

http://world.guns.ru/assault/as47-e.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
There is no reason for that gun to cost 3000 dollars when you can have a new AR-15 for 800 or less.

CRC
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:22:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is no reason for that gun to cost 3000 dollars when you can have a new AR-15 for 800 or less.

CRC

Incorrect pricing system. The price is 3000$ Canadian. Price in US is closer to 2000. For 2000$ you get a rifle that shoots sub-MOA, has tritium night sights, a bipod, match grade trigger along with great reliability. Unlike the AR which is mass produced by a dozen different companies. Plus add the fact that its made with swiss precision, not mexican border hoppers, explains the price.

Just a gas piston upper for an AR is what? 1000$?
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I see nothing the SIG would best the AR in for the price.
I would probably take a 3500 dollar AR over a 3500 SIG.
If the sig was around 1500 i would pick one up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 2:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a SIG 550 and 551 and I can tell you hands down, they are super sweet to shoot.  The engineering that went into it and the precision fit of the gun is nothing short of spectacular.  To say it's a dressed up AK because it operates on a gas piston is ridiculous.  

My understanding is that SIG has many of the 55X series in inventory here in the US, they are not manufacturing them.  There is a licensing agreement in place that prevents SIG from manufacturing here.  I posted this question to Erhardt, the marketing guy for SIG on SIGforum (who by the way is great about talking about new SIG stuff).  He has remained very quiet about the whole thing.  This speaks volumes in my opinion.  When a moderator said he talked to a "high ranking" SIG guy and that the 55X series is going to be out, I have my doubts.  Unless someone officially from SIG says "Hey, we're working on it, we have the license issue with SwissArms worked out and we're just perfecting the polymer receiver", I'm not buying that it's anywhere near coming out soon.  

The barrel of the 55X screws into the upper receiver, I'm not sure how they would accomodate this on a polymer receiver, doesnt seem like it wouldnt be that strong.  When you screw the barrel in, the tolerance is so tight that you get perfect head spacing.  I'm no gun engineer, but I just dont see how polymer uppers and this process can co-exist well.  I would assume that they will have to pin the barrel in.   Also, the scope mount on the 55X series is a slide fit-spring held design.  This absolutely would not work on a polymer upper.  They would have to redesign by putting a rail on top, imo.  

I still believe the stamped steel frame is the way to go.  If SIGarms domestically produced a 55X the way Swiss Arms does (flash hider integrated with barrel, chamber and barrel forged using same piece of steel, etc), it's worth every bit of $3,500.

And not to sound snobbish, but if you can't afford or don't want to spend the money on it, that's no reason to bash it.  It's like people bashing high end cars, i.e. "my chevette gets me to point a to point b just like a corvette".

www.peonyland.com/SIG550551.JPG

As far as being nice rifles, I agree. Are they better than say a Valmet, maybe. Is it that much better than an AR, not really. In fact, MG to MG, my Colt is just as nice. I got to shoot a 552 at a past meet and was able to compare it with my experience with an A1.
There are amazing things being done with polymer these days. If you've flown recently you probably trusted your life to it. A cast in trunion would work just fine.
As far as the price comparison, it's more like saying "yeah, that Ferrari is sweet, but my 'Vette does everything it does for 1/4 the cost."
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Abbot: Exactly.

It seems the majority of the AR15 folks just refuse to acknowledge that any other AR has merit.

I have what may be considered the best AR15 in the HK416.  I have a 551.  I'm telling you, the 551 is a better shooter, has much less recoil, has a match trigger, has integrated night sight that is calibrated to your day sight, has a trigger guard that will fold out of the way, and a host of other little features that scream superior design.

Unless you have handled and shot a 55X, to say "it's not worth 2500-3000" is ridiculous.

Now, would I pay preban prices for a domestic production? No.  but if it's half the price and the quality is even 90% there, it's going to be worth it.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Abbot: Exactly.

It seems the majority of the AR15 folks just refuse to acknowledge that any other AR has merit.

I have what may be considered the best AR15 in the HK416.  I have a 551.  I'm telling you, the 551 is a better shooter, has much less recoil, has a match trigger, has integrated night sight that is calibrated to your day sight, has a trigger guard that will fold out of the way, and a host of other little features that scream superior design.

Unless you have handled and shot a 55X, to say "it's not worth 2500-3000" is ridiculous.

Now, would I pay preban prices for a domestic production? No.  but if it's half the price and the quality is even 90% there, it's going to be worth it.

I think the 550 is a great rifle and would love to have one.  I don't think it should command 2 times the price of a quailty AR such as a Colt, Bushy, RRA, etc.  I think the barrel should be chrome lined too.  Like I said in an earlier post, this probably an academic thought for me cause there is no way I'll pay 2K and up for this rifle when their are ARs available at the .9K range that will do anything this rifle will do.  Also, the AR have 40 years of combat experience behind them and the M-16A2s I was issued in the Marines were very reliable guns.  Having said this, if Sig could get the 550 here for 1K to 1.5K, and not a cent over 1.5K after taxes, then I'd have to buy one.  Varity is the spice of life.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:02:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I went and picked up my Kimber Desert Warrior today and my guy at the gun store told me that the Sig rep was in yesterday and said that the 550 will be out early next year for $1000.  The rep also stated that the 550 will be the main attraction for the company here. That was all the info he was given. I already reserved one for when and if they come out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Is that a joke?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:38:30 PM EDT
[#10]
My LE Rep was over a couple of weeks ago and he told me that Sig was going to make the receivers and assemble them here and they would be available to the commercial market sometime in 2006.

He also told me that the NJ State Police had placed a large order for the 551 or 552 (dont remember)and each trooper would have one along with the Benelli M1 Super 90 which they already have.

Thats all I know on the topic , I will add though that while its an excellent rifle I'm gonna stick to my M4.

stay safe
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I also heard Jesus will be coming back to life to get himself a klondike bar.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell, I suppose I'll get one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I think everyone on every gun board known to man is discussing this.....
and everyone is split right down the middle.

I honestly don't see how they can compete with the M4's price wise.

55X = Swiss Precision
M4  = Not as precise as Swiss  

I'll believe it when I see pics of it from SHOT show '06....

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:42:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I'd end up getting one.

I so want a 552.

A 55X would probably replace my M4.

However, I don't believe it until I see 'em in the store.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:38:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I went and picked up my Kimber Dessert Warrior today and my guy at the gun store told me that the Sig rep was in yesterday and said that the 550 will be out early next year for $1000.  The rep also stated that the 550 will be the main attraction for the company here. That was all the info he was given. I already reserved one for when and if they come out.

I'm fascinated about this Dessert Warrior of yours. Does it have a soft creamy center, or is it chocolate covered?

I love dessert!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Did I spell that wrong, that is what happens when you work 16 hrs and then come home and try and type. Thanks for pointing that out. And it does have the creamy filling!!!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:54:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I 'd better start saving a few G's for the spring.  If they don't show at SHOT then I'll just pick up another something.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember speaking with a class three dealer on this forum and apparently, Swiss Arms could sell SIG 55X series rifles at $1540.  The dealer price was a little lower, $1540 includes taxes, etc...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Neato. If they start selling the 55X series in America, I'll have to save up my money for when I leave the PRK for a free state.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:04:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Why can't they just move SHOT '06 to October '05, damnit  

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:45:55 PM EDT
[#22]
When I took a course at Sigarms Academy the instructor had one.  Nice rifle.  Maybe it's because people (myself included) don't like plastic mags in AR's that I found it a turn-off.  Do they make 5.56 metal mags for the Sig series?  The instructor kept talking about how much he liked the rifle blah blah blah.  

I'm sorry I can't get a hard-on for them.  From all the available information, having them available in the U.S. is about as likely as me finding 22 year-old Swedish twin babes in my bed one night.  

Pet Peeve Time:  Every time someone mentions how such-and-such is available in Canada it's like nails on a chalk-board.  ALL FIREARMS ARE REGISTERED IN CANADA AT THE FEDERAL LEVEL!  You also cannot shoot military pattern rifles just anywhere you want.  You can only take them to specific ranges.  IIRC, you cannot hunt with them.   I can take my AK and drive 10 minutes away to the local sand pit and blast away.  I'd rather own an unregistered 10/22 and .38 wheelgun than a registered Sig series rifle.  Ok, I got that out of my system.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I also heard Jesus will be coming back to life to get himself a klondike bar.

So wrong, yet so funny..

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#24]
anyone know of a poor-man's 551 mod? Like getting sig 551 stock, grip, and hand guards and sticking them on a high-qualtiy AK?
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, all firearms are registered - BUT, not all firearms are restricted, which means range use only. If you bought a PE90, it would be registered but NOT restricted - which means you could "take it for a walk in the bush" if you lived in a province which allowed you to carry a rifle in the bush without a hunting license. If you had an AR15 it would be a range gun. It doesn't make any sense - but then it's gun control it never does.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Fingers crossed.

Damn right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:31:12 AM EDT
[#27]
I predict another one of these threads every six months for the next ten years...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:38:13 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I predict another one of these threads every six months for the next ten years...

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a SG 550/PE-90 Black Special. Yes, it is registered, however, as the other poster said, it is non-restricted! I can take it in the woods coyote hunting just as easily as I can take my Remington 700VS. I like them so much that I just bought a new Swiss Classic Green CQB which is the civilian version of the SG 552. I paid $2700 CDN for the PE-90 used (less than 200 rounds though it) and I just plunked down $2999.00 CDN ($3251.73 including taxes and shippinghe
I was happy to do it! I own several Colt AR-15s and I like them, a lot! I'm also currently building an 11.5" shorty AR-15. However, if I had to choose only one rifle for overall quality, fit/finish, accuracy and durability, I would have to go with the Swiss rifle.

You can like both without having to trash either rifle. For the guys wanting a Swiss rifle for under $1,000UShy.gif All I can say is that the glut of AR manufacturers and after market accessories have "spoiled" you guys!have  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top