Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2003 4:24:14 PM EDT

I hope one you you guys can answer this. I can't. One of the children that was at the range, ask me a real question today.
He picks up a round and puts it in the muzzle of the piece. He then asks, "How does this come out if it won't fit in here?? [:0]
This is me standing there looking

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The bullets used in a .223 are size .224". 0.223" is the distance between the groves of the rifling in the bore. The bullet is oversized to guarantee a sealed fit so that gas does not blow past the bullet and so the rifling will engage the bullet fully.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:43:06 PM EDT
[#2]

I thank you very much. I have learned something, and I will past this on to the child. Pretty smart on his part I was thinking.

Thanks again.
B
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:15:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Well DsrtEgl is mostly right, although the numbers may be a little off... Usually there's more than .001" difference in the diameter land to land, and the bullet diameter, although the groove to groove distance is usually the same as the bullet.

At least in the US.  For instance, a .308 uses a .308" bullet, but the barrel diameter is .300" before the rifling is cut into it.  The distance groove to groove is then .308.  This makes the bullet seal in the barrel.  The rifling CUTS into the bullet when it goes through the barrel.  

This means, if you try to shove a bullet in from the muzzle, it will not go in without SIGNIFICANT force...  If it DOES go in easily, your rifling is likely worn/wearing out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I was speaking of the general case for groove diameter and leaving the height of the lands out of the discussion.

But yes, the lands cut into the bullet and the land to land diameter is significantly less than the groove diameter.

Most bullets are slightly oversized in relation to the groove diameter (to ensure a tight gas seal). In my findings, most jacketed bullets are over by 0.001" while non-jacketed bullets vary from 0.002" to 0.003" over nominal groove diameter.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:37:51 PM EDT
[#5]
A wise old man once told me,

You can train a dog but you must be smarter than the dog.

I think the kid has you beat in this dept.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top