Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/25/2003 2:42:17 PM EDT

Hi all,

Does anyone know anything about the semi-only FAMAS' that came in? I know they're fairly rare...

As I like rare things (don't we all? ) I was considering spending time trying to find one, but...should I even bother? Are they reliable? Do they go bang every time you pull the trigger, or are they the French versions of SA-80's?

Just looking for a general information dump on the civilian FAMAS rifles that were imported...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 7:00:33 PM EDT
I don't have any first hand knowledge of the semi-auto imports. I've talked to French soldiers and they like them fine. They work well and are reliable, but they said it's a PITA to clean. The one in the US is the first model FAMAS. The current military one has a couple changes, that may account for something, though I don't know what.

They are VERY rare. The cost has to be in the outrageous zone by now. Mags, parts, etc would be harder to get than most any gun I could think of. Definately in the "advanced collector" category of gun.

I found some facts on the Century imported FAMAS:
19.2" barrel
three groove rifling 1/12
retarded blowback
fluted chamber
25rd mag
10lb trigger
reversible ejection (left/right)

There's really nothing available for them in the way of scopes, etc. The sight radius is only 13 inches, but I remember the American Rifleman getting decent groups when they tested it long ago. It's designed for combat, and most combat is short range, so no biggie there.

That's all I know.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/26/2003 3:40:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Ross:
I found some facts on the Century imported FAMAS:
19.2" barrel
three groove rifling 1/12
retarded blowback
fluted chamber
25rd mag
10lb trigger
reversible ejection (left/right)

Retarded blowback, fluted chamber?

Sounds a lot like an HK's roller-locking action..which is a serious pain in the ass to clean.

I saw one for sale a year or two ago, and it was slightly more pricy than a black AUG, but far less spendy than a Sig 55x...

Thanks for the info! Now to check around some more

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 2:25:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/26/2003 2:26:49 PM EDT by GreenLocust]
I would imagine with their experience with nearly every MAS, that they are engineered to keep a zero even when dropped or stacked in a big pile...
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 1:22:59 PM EDT
Well, I've heard of the semi-auto FAMAS but never seen one. Or run into anyone that's ever seen one. And only one or two people that have ever even heard of them.

Always thought they were a neat rig. Delayed blowback somewhat like the H & K but not exactly like it.

I would hate to think of current price tag. Cubic dollars for sure.

Link Posted: 10/29/2003 12:32:07 PM EDT
Actually saw on online for about $5000-6000. Alot less then a SIG55x rifle as stated before.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 4:23:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GreenLocust:
I would imagine with their experience with nearly every MAS, that they are engineered to keep a zero even when dropped or stacked in a big pile...

roflmao
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 10:34:56 PM EDT
I liked mine just fine, but sold it for $4,000 bucks. Regrets? Not really.
Top Top