Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2003 1:36:48 PM EDT
I have a new garand butt stock and im trying to make it look like the old forarm stock,im using boiled Linseed oil to no prevail ?,,, thanks JOE
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the replies room,,,,,,,JOE
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want a new stock set, you could try to find a Boyd's.  Some people have had problems with fit, but mine work GREAT.  I got the set on sale direct from Boyd's for like $80.  I sanded it down and shaped a little, as they are really FAT, like later USGI stocks.  Then a few coats of BLO and a wipe on poly finish (in hindsight, I should have used Tung Oil Finish, but couldn't find any.  The Poly looks good anyway)

I put my Winchester Danish M1 in that stock.  The parkerizing on the rifle looks almost new (except the bolt), so the whole thing looks almost new.  Shoots great.  I was pegging a 6" gong at 200 yards sitting with Korean surplus on Saturday. (well.. hitting like 3 out of 5...)

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#4]
is the one from boyds completely unfinished? I'd like to get one ans stain it myself in a unique color
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The stocks from boyd's, at least the walnut stocks, do have a light coat of BLO.  Easy to sand off/strip.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top