Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2003 7:57:42 PM EDT
Like the topic says. Highs and lows of both. I'm looking to use it for a defensive weapon for my wife. So I will be running the mini-shells through it. As far as I understand theese are the only two which really work with this shell. Plus 12+1 capacity is nice.

The FN has really nice sights, but costs more. I don't know what sights come on a 1300 defender. What about night sites for either one?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Guncrazy223,   My Defender only has a bead front site.  I'm sure any good gunsmith could mount a better site.  That being said, I have used my Defender in 3-Gun matches without any problems.  It also has one of the smoothest action I have ever felt.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:15:43 PM EDT
[#2]
The new 1300 defenders come with a tru glow fiber optic front sight. It's a polymer piece that snaps onto the barrel, just in front of the bead sight. It works well for its defense purpose. My 1300 has worked just fine for me.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2003 9:53:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I wonder if you can get a set of those sites.  I would like to try them out on my Defender.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I wonder if you can get a set of those sites.  

Brownells should have them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2003 6:20:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The FN uses a 1300 action so they are the same at least as far as that goes.

The mini-shells have plenty of power.  The dimensions of normal shells are from long ago, sized for black powder I think, and have plenty of unused space.  With their more modern design the mini shells have plenty of power and you can fit a lot more in a tube magazine but feed reliability can be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I just picked up a 1300 a few days ago.  Real nice and smooth gun.  I like the tru-glo sight on it, which is perfect for just about anything (I can shoot clay pigeons no problem).  No complaints, just a real fun gun to shoot.  Can unload 8 rounds hella-fast in it too.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:39:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but my tru-glo sight won't stay on under recoil.  It pops right off every shot.  I want to mount a front post with a ghost ring rear sight but cannot find anyone who SPECIFICALLY makes them for the 1300.  I do not want one of those universal fitting piles of crap.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The wife is pretty small (5'3", 110) but has shot a m590a1 with buckshot and slugs, but really didn't enjoy it. I was thinking the 20 ga. route but I really don't like 20 ga. personally. The mini-shells actually pressurize the powder. They pack a hell of a wallop (were talkin ranges of less than 25 feet and only problems of the 2 legged variety). The bucksot supposedly works well and is basically similar in recoil to a tactical load. Meaning the recoil should be right on par with a 20 ga. But the minishells are only 1.75" so 12 can fit in the tube.

The win 1300 and FN are both rated as superbly reliable with these shells. I know that the FN is based on the 1300 action I really wanted to hear from owners about who loved their shotguns and why.
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 1:27:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a 1300 and I can only get it to feed the mini's by following the advice from here to hold the thing angled down and cycle it slow. It wouldn't feed reliable at all holding it to the shoulder and shooting  no matter what speed you pumped. They are fun to plink around with but I wouldn't trust them for defense...
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 3:47:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I own one of the FN police shotguns, and have to say that with the exception of one little hiccup i love it.  Great configuration:  1300 action, choke tubes, rifle sights (not as fast as ghost rings, but hey, it works for me), short barrel, full 7+1 capacity, nicely proportioned stock for a guy my size (5'6"), and a great heavy-duty finish on all parts.  The plastic trigger gaurd is a bit cheezy, though, and i had to take out the rear sight ramp entirely to get it to pattern to point of aim.  I had a problem with it trying to feed two rounds at once (the topic should still be listed below), but all i had to do was tighten a screw in the trigger assembly that had come loose.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Let me play the devil's advocate here a moment...  If this setup is to be used for defensive situations, then priority number 1 ought to be reliability.  It sounds like the mini-shells present some problems in this regard.  And I would question the need for 12 shots, unless you expect ot be invaded by a large gang.

Priority number 2 ought to be the shooters ability to handle the weapon.  If your wife can't handle a 12 then get a 20.  Personally, I wouldn't want to take a shot from either.

As for sights, what about situations that occur in the dark?  My preference would be ghost ring sights and a forearm light, or some similar setup that allows easy target acquisition in the dark.

[/devils-advocate]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top