Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2003 7:26:28 AM EDT
CDNN has a Winchester 12 ga "Defender" shotgun. I need an under-the-bed shotgun.

Anyone own one?

Anyone know of a company that makes a forearm that has a flashlight built in for this model?
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 6:59:47 AM EDT
[#1]
NOBODY owns one of these? Nobody has seen any aftermarket stuff for these?

I should've posted in GD...
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a Winchester 1300 with a 18" barrel and extended magazine tube.

Here's the official Win. 1300 Defender page
www.winchester-guns.com/prodinfo/catalog/detail.asp?cat_id=512&type_id=104&cat=012C

I don't have one, but from what I've read they are supposed to be a quality and dependable shotgun.  My experience with older models of Win shotguns would support this as they've all been very smooth working weapons.

SureFire makes a forearm w/built in flashlight for the Win 1300 models, and any other aftermarket parts you see listed with a Win 1300 application will work on the Defender models.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 9:25:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Another big plus (for some, anyway) is that the Defender line are the only shotguns that reliably feed and eject the Aguila "mini-shells" right out of the box, without modification.  Almost all other shotguns require modification or adjustment.

IMO, these shells are ideal for home defense applications.  More rounds in the tube, less flash & recoil, still very effective at indoor distances.  I use these in my bedside 870, but the elevator had to be adjusted for reliable operation.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried to reply yesterday , must not have gone through for some reason...

I owned a Winchester 1300 Defender and can give it my highest recomendation ....

For me it was 100% reliable and trouble free...

I also found it to be faster-firing and more comfortable than a Mossberg...

I would not hesitate to pick another one up

Though if I was getting a pistol-gripped one , I would replace the gip with an aftermarket one , the grip-angle on the factory on seems too severe to me...

Aftermarket accesories are easy to find , you just do not often see them "tricked out" like Remingtons and Mossbergs

my 2 cents

t
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I had one back in the early 90s and loved it, but needed some money and had to sell it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I tried to reply yesterday , must not have gone through for some reason...

I owned a Winchester 1300 Defender and can give it my highest recomendation ....

For me it was 100% reliable and trouble free...

I also found it to be faster-firing and more comfortable than a Mossberg...

I would not hesitate to pick another one up

Though if I was getting a pistol-gripped one , I would replace the gip with an aftermarket one , the grip-angle on the factory on seems too severe to me...

Aftermarket accesories are easy to find , you just do not often see them "tricked out" like Remingtons and Mossbergs

my 2 cents

t

.....ditto
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Last trip to the range, my 1300 broke the extractor. It's pretty light and the recoil is sharp. After shooting a Benelli, I'll never look at it the same again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#8]
i love mine.

Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:17:36 AM EDT
[#9]
or try a FN. there built off the same platform but they have a shorter stock for tactcal work, rifle sights, and removable choke tubes.www.arizonagunrunners.com/Products/FNMfng/fnpsg/fnpsg.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 4:49:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Defender, it works great.  I've used it in IDPA shotgun matches, for shooting sporting clays, and for some small game hunting.  I never had any problems with it.  For what you get for the price you pay, I think it's the best out there for a general purpose defensive type shotgun. I never felt the need for any aftermarket accessories, as it comes with an 8 shot capacity out of the box.  
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Camp Defender 1300 and I like it better than the Mossberg 500 and  590 I USED to have ! But it does not feed the Aguila mini's worth a S#!+ !  

If you have a Big 5 sporting goods store where you live they usually will have the 1300 defender for around $ 200 when on sale .
Link Posted: 5/4/2003 7:59:36 PM EDT
[#12]
the mosbergs have the split lever, elevator thingy (what the heck is the thing called that brings the shells out of the magazine nad into the chamber????) so the mini shells get caught up on it.

the winchester's is solid so they don't have that trouble.

I'm sure it is replaceable on teh mossy.

speaking of minis shells - has anyone got one of those posidon shotguns that only shoot the minis shells?

Link Posted: 5/6/2003 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the winchester's is solid so they don't have that trouble.

Maybe you're just luckier than I am, but I've got several 870s and the only one that feeds the mini-shells 100% reliably is the one which I had my gunsmith adjust to do just that.

Quoted:
speaking of minis shells - has anyone got one of those Poseiden shotguns that only shoot the minis shells?

I have been wanting to get my hands on one of these ever since  first read about them, but I have never even seen one outside of a magazine/catalog.  I too would like to hear from someone who has seen/held/fired one of these.
Link Posted: 5/6/2003 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a  new black Choate pistol grip stock for the 1300 Defender that I will sell for $30 plus shipping.  I had a 1300 and bought this stock from Delta Force for it, but I sold the gun before I could put it on.....I take that back....I did mount it once to see if it would work. I took it off immediatley.

JarHead94
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 4:53:00 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Win Defender 1300 with an 8 shot tube. With Aguila mini shells, I can get 10+1 in the gun and 12 in the six shot side saddle. Not bad for a double pistol gripped shot gun with an 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up a Defender. After handling one I had to have one even though I already had a 590. They feel real good in the hands and are quick pointers.

It was a police trade in so it had some nicks in the stock and some scratches on the barrel but had a low round count. I wasn't looking for a safe queen so I think I got a great deal at $185.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Another big plus (for some, anyway) is that the Defender line are the only shotguns that reliably feed and eject the Aguila "mini-shells" right out of the box, without modification.  Almost all other shotguns require modification or adjustment.

IMO, these shells are ideal for home defense applications.  More rounds in the tube, less flash & recoil, still very effective at indoor distances.  I use these in my bedside 870, but the elevator had to be adjusted for reliable operation.

I have a 1300 defender and it will not feed Aguila "mini-shells" worth a crap !!!!!!!!!

If you cycle it slow they are ok. Cycle it normal and they get stuck in the action like 3 hamsters fucking in a toilet paper tube.

I like it just fine and use it for 3 gun matches it always works. I will never even come close to placing in a match with it but did I mention it always works
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#18]
My brother had one, worked great.  Took it hunting and camping, and shot trap with it on occasion.  Got rid of it so he could have money for a handgun.  I should have bought it from him when I had the chance.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a 1300 defender and it will not feed Aguila "mini-shells" worth a crap !!!!!!!!!

If you cycle it slow they are ok. Cycle it normal and they get stuck in the action like 3 hamsters ******* in a toilet paper tube.

I like it just fine and use it for 3 gun matches it always works. I will never even come close to placing in a match with it but did I mention it always works

Okay, since you're the second one here to blast me for my comments, let me clarify:

-  The only two Winchester 1300 Defenders I have ever owned fed the mini-shells fine right out of the box...

-  All the literature out there indicates this is the case with most 1300s...

-  I prefer the Remington 870 personally (I have several), but the author didn't ask about Remingtons, he asked about Winchesters...

I merely was offering some solicited advice based upon my own experiences, plus what I have read repeatedly.  I now will officially withdraw my recommendation of the use of Aguila mini-shells with any un-modified shotgun except the elusive "Poseiden."

Mugzilla, please ignore my opinions expressed above - apparently I bought the only two 1300's that feed mini-shells reliably out of the box and I, the folks at Aguila, and the writers for all of the major firearms magazines are all wrong.  By all means, ignore us.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine feeds the minis just fine.  

If anything I’ve had quite an opposite experience from some in here.

If you rack it slowly then there are troubles - but if you just work it like you would in a fight or trying to pick up that 3rd duck they go just fine in mine.

Link Posted: 5/11/2003 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Mine feeds Aguila minis just fine. Just make sure that you don't cant the breech upwards. Then it can jam. Keep the 1300 straight or cant the breech slightly downward and you should have no prblems. If all else fails, forget the minis and use what you always have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 5:55:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Okay, since you're the second one here to blast me for my comments,

NickFury

No BLAST MEANT just telling it like it is.

Link Posted: 5/12/2003 7:47:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, since you're the second one here to blast me for my comments,

NickFury

No BLAST MEANT just telling it like it is.

No, It is I who should be apologizing to everyone here - Friday was a REALLY bad day and I overreacted (something my wife seems to think I do much more often than I think I do - go figure... ).  I took it all personally and let my temper take over - please disregard my rant above.
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 12:21:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been debating between the Winchester defender, mossberg 500 and mossberg 590, too.

What's the different between the mossberg 500 and mossberg 590?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 2:39:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I've been debating between the Winchester defender, mossberg 500 and mossberg 590, too.

What's the different between the mossberg 500 and mossberg 590?

The 500 is the basic Mossberg platform and comes in a WIDE variety of configurations.  The "home defense" 500s include an 18" bbl w/ a standard magazine tube and a 20" bbl w/ an extended (8-shot) magazine tube.  I believe the home-defense-oriented Mossberg 500s are still marketed under the "Persuader" name, although PC-ness may have done away with that one.

The 590 is Mossberg's dedicated home defense model, with a standard 9-shot extended magazine (although I believe they made a short 590 at one time), a lug to mount the M16 bayonet, and myriad "tactical" options, such as ghost ring sights, speedfeed stock, etc.

I have a Mossberg "590A1," which I believe is a M&P model different from the civilian 590 (somebody correct me if I am wrong about that).  Mine is parkerized, has the 9-shot tube, bayo lug, speedfeed stock, & ghost ring sights (highly visible, bright orange, oversized front blade = rapid acquisition), and the safety button and trigger guard are metal (they are usually plastic on civilian models, IIRC) - this is the way mine came from the factory.  The bbl also seems heavier than on the civvy guns, but I could be mistaken about that.  (I don't have a 590 for comparison, just the 590A1 and some old 500 Persuaders.)

My 590A1 doesn't have any markings indicating that it is restricted to M&P ownership (which it shouldn't) - so IF I am right that this is different from a civilian 590, I would suggest having someone order you the 590A1 model.  Unless you plan to carry it for extended periods - that thing is HEAVY (compared to my tricked-out 870s).  It is great for a house gun, but I wouldn't want to tote it through the woods a bunch...
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:39:19 PM EDT
[#26]
ooooohhh...   a 590.   If it is not too much more expensive, go for it.

nothing says get the fuck out of my house like a 12 ga with a bayonet.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2003 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I LOVE my 1300 Defender.  Thing has been utterly reliable, very slick action, and the truglo site is cool.  Best shotgun for the money, me thinks.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:11:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Bought one last year, liked it a lot, tried a Remington 870, liked it a lot more, sold the 1300 to a friend (so I still get to play with it).

I had two problems that sent me to the 870, both of them being related to my own build and their ergonomics:

1. I kept pinching the shit out of the edge of my palm when I'd pick up the firing pace. I hadn't had a pump gun in a long time and my arms kept saying "It's a carbine!". Ouch. The 870 "Synthetic Express" has that extended forestock. I hear you need to do a little touch-up to mount a sidesaddle but I'm not a real big add-on addict (yet) and don't mind tinkering with my guns.

2. The 870 just mounted a lot quicker and better for me. I couldn't figure it out since they had the same l.o.p. on paper so, in the two days where I owned both, I compared them side-by-side. It looked to me like the grip angle was slightly different, with the 1300 being longer/shallower. Basically a sideways "J" instead of an inverted "C". I tended to mate the bottom of my firing hand to the bottom of the pistol grip portion of the stock. This made my trigger finger have to reach further on the Winnie. No biggie but I didn't lose money in the trade and I have a gun that fits me better. YMMV, but it's something to consider if you haven't tried a few other brands.

Of course, I shorted myself 3 rounds of 12 gauge but that's why they make mag extensions (once you grind/push out the 870 "dimples").

Short version of my whole post: Had a 1300 & liked it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 9:09:54 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
... The 870 "Synthetic Express" has that extended forestock. I hear you need to do a little touch-up to mount a sidesaddle but I'm not a real big add-on addict (yet) and don't mind tinkering with my guns...

There are both 4- and 6-round sidesaddle shell carriers available.  The 4-rounder works with the longer factory forends.  There are any number of shorter forends available to accommodate the 6-rounder.  FWIW, the 6-rounder works fine with the dedicated Surefire tactical forend/light combos - my personal recommendation for any defensive shotgun.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

FWIW, the 6-rounder works fine with the dedicated Surefire tactical forend/light combos - my personal recommendation for any defensive shotgun.

Good source to find the surefire at a good price?
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Good source to find the surefire at a good price?

The only "good" price I ever found on the Surefire forends was when I was a dealer and could order them wholesale!

But check out www.theoutdoorcenter.com - they have fair / competitive retail prices and free shipping on all orders over $200.  I've done a good bit of business with them since I retired my FFL and have always been happy with the products and service.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 7:30:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I've got a Mossberg 500 Persuader 18" (review) and a Winchester 1300 slug gun for deer hunting.

Both are very good guns, very reliable.  The Winchester is a bit faster since it starts unlocking the bolt for you after firing, seems a little higher quality overall and is easier to assemble and disassemble.

Chose either.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top