BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2003 12:44:51 PM EDT
I've had this one for a while, M96 Top Feed:

And the latest addition, M96 Recon Carbine:

Link Posted: 4/2/2003 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Where'd you get the new Recon Carbine from? And if you don't mind my asking how much $?

How does it shoot?
Maybe wanna trade it for an AR10 in .308?

Actually, I'm looking at selling one of my AR10 rifles so I can buy a Recon Carbine. They are totally kool looking.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Since I had the top feed, rifle and recon carbine kits (which I got directly from RA) I had the place you got your AR-180B order me a complete upper and lower receiver.

Since I just bought a bunch of NFA stuff from him, he got me the stuff at dealer cost, but it wasn't much cheaper than the cost of a whole rifle minus the barrel and gas tube/piston.

I believe he has a Recon Carbine in stock for $1450.

I haven't fired this one yet. I still need to renew my BCG&G membership. Probably do that this weekend.

Not much interest in an AR-10. I sold my AR-10T when I decided I liked the FALs better

Link Posted: 4/2/2003 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#3]

I haven't fired this one yet. I still need to renew my BCG&G membership. Probably do that this weekend.

Let me know if you're going to shoot while there maybe I can meet you.

Not much interest in an AR-10. I sold my AR-10T when I decided I liked the FALs better

I'm finding out the same thing. I've built a couple of FALs and except for some problems this past weekend (it was a bloody mess) everything has gone well. Thats why I'm looking to sell off one of my AR10s.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...and except for some problems this past weekend (it was a bloody mess) everything has gone well...

Damn.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
You, Sir, are a lucky, lucky man!! I just picked up my first and only M96 and I'm still reeling from the purchase.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 7:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]
A local long island shop has the M96 Recon Carbine for near $1700. I thought that price was way out of line. I was thinking it should be near 1300/1400. It was a green one, looked sweet, well made. I want one, but not at that price..
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 9:34:14 PM EDT
[#7]
That's almost in the 'posting naked wimmens' picture catagory.
NICE looking guns.
Thanks for the peek-a-boo.
Link Posted: 4/2/2003 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#8]
 Got my Recon with all the latest doodads for 1350 brand new.  I think that is a bit expensive....but damn it, it's totally a shooter.  I have had it just over a week and I almost have a thousand rounds through it.

it ROCKS!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2003 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
 Got my Recon with all the latest doodads for 1350 brand new.  I think that is a bit expensive....but damn it, it's totally a shooter.  I have had it just over a week and I almost have a thousand rounds through it.

it ROCKS!!!!!!

That is more like the priced I was thinking. The place I saw one at tends to be a bit high. Did they have more at that price?
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 12:21:42 AM EDT
[#10]
 If you snoop around on the net they can be found at around that price ( between 13 and 14 hundred dollars ).  There is no good reason you should have to pay THAT much ( 1700 bucks )for an M96...in fact I think 1350 was too much considering that the safety position SUCKS and the gun has NO manual bolt lock mechanism.  If this weapon was as ( or more ) user friendly in those two respects then it would be totally worth it because it is one hell of a system...but it has a ways to go yet.

I REALLY love my M96 but I would NOT recommend it for anyone other than Stoner 63 freaks ( like me ) at this time.  When they get around to putting a manual bolt lock on it and a well positioned safety then I will be less hesitant to recommend it to other shooters.  However it is NOT a neophyte gun at ALL...this gun should never be purchased as a first firearm by anybody.  Period.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 4:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
However it is NOT a neophyte gun at ALL...this gun should never be purchased as a first firearm by anybody.  Period.

It was my first firearm purchase. I love the thing. I think it was well worth my money.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
how did I know that was gonna come up?
 I stand by what I said...I do NOT believe the M96 is a neophyte gun....this has to do most of all with the removeable barrel capability and the general complexity of the weapon as compared to many other designs.
 You can work it?  Good for you...your one of about 5 neophytes that could operate the whole system without mucking it up.  I do not believe most first time gun owners would benefit from the M96....AR's are much easier to operate and handle than the M96 as is the M1A or the mini-14.
 I handle guns seven days a week and try very hard to shoot 200 to 400 rounds a week and I see a LOT of people out there handle firearms that shouldn't be.  Most of them are well meaning folks who just aren't educated on firearms usage.  I am NOT gonna hold that against them, we ALL have to start somewhere, but I see a lot of people handling weapons that are WAY beyond their capabilities...they would be much better served to learn weapons generalities first, things like safety and marksmanship and the minor technical things like maintainence and usage.  But that is NOT what I see....what I see is a bunch of dimwits who think they are impressing people by dumping mag after mag downrange.  These same bozo's don't know the first thing about firearms handling OR safety.   All they are really doing is just pissing off those of us who KNOW what we are doing ot those who have a serious and honest desire to learn the craft of shooting.
 Following the logic of "ya gotta crawl before you can walk" I again say I WOULD NOT RECCOMMEND THE M96 TO A NEOPHYTE SHOOTER when I know good and well there are weapons that would serve that shooter better than the M96.
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Well since you restated all that it seems what you were trying to say is that you dont reccomend it for a first time shooter not a first time buyer. Ive been shooting for several years but this is the first weapon I actually purchased. Also, I think the M96 is a very simple design. The quick change barrel being the best part of it. How on earth could anyone muck it up? YOu also seem to be making a lot of saftey complaints. Now if you think people are so unsafe then why would you want them to have any firearm at all? All guns are deadly, the m96 isnt more so than the rest. And how is an AR easier to operate than the M96?
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 5:50:30 AM EDT
[#14]
kickmyllama: good argumentation.  "This is my safety here, sir..." to quote Black Hawk Down.

DavidC: so which is going to be your favorite?  I like the Bren gun, ahem, ah, the top feed model best.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 6:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
The top feed is the most fun to shoot. I haven't shot the recon yet, but will do that as soon as the weather breaks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2003 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#16]
 I would like to see RA come out with Carbine barrels again...at least on a limited basis....anybody here have the standard carbine?
Link Posted: 4/11/2003 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, I've got the original Carbine.

EDIT: I'm looking to order the Recon kit from RA whenever they decide to get their sh!t together.

They've had my barrel and bolt for about three weeks now performing an adjustment to the gas-block/front-sight and upgrading the bolt-carrier tail. BJ originally told me that it could take 3-weeks if his machinist was swamped, but that didn't happen to be the case, he said, when I shipped the barrel/bolt.

One of the members over at M96.org had the same exact problem as I. I believe, by his posting dates, it took 6-weeks to get his back, even though RA told him the same - 3 weeks.

WTF, Over?!?  
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Some full auto video clips at their website.

www.robarm.com
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 2:34:58 AM EDT
[#19]
yeah...one of the bad things about RA....sometimes 3 weeks in ARFCOM time isn't the same as three weeks in Robinson Armament time....but the good thing about that is...IT MEANS THEY ARE BUSY BUSY BUSY....which is a good thing for Stoner fans, that should mean that they won't be going out of business any time soon  ( or ever, I hope )
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Bump...

These things are just SO cool. Im saving up :).
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Hi DavidC

Your new carbine looks just like mine (minus the optics and bipod).  I have the short rail mounted forward of the rear sight, and will add a red dot one of these days.  I converted my rifle variant with a carbine kit last year.  I definitely prefer the carbine over the rifle, much more balanced.
    I remember reading your review of the Bren variant back when you first got it, nice to see you expanded your M96 collection.
    Alex Robinson recently posted a message over at the Bigger Hammer M96 forum stating that a new .308 and 7.62x39 rifle are in the works.  These rifles are supposed to be a completely new design that does not copy any other current rifle design.  They are supposed to share a common platform with some interchangable parts.  I am anxious to see what they develop!
    Enjoy your new carbine, and please post a follow up on your shooting sessions with it!

Bsly
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Oh come on guys there is nothing a matter with unloading 30rds in a short period that is just good clean fun.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:10:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Alex Robinson recently posted a message over at the Bigger Hammer M96 forum stating that a new .308 and 7.62x39 rifle are in the works.  

Bsly

I heard just a bit around the first of the year about the possibilities of a 7.62X39 rifle.  Nothing since - until now.  (IF I remember correctly, this may take the place of the SR-47.)
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]
You evil sumbitch!

Do you know how badly I want one!?

How hard would it be to replace a barrel on that bad boy once this AWB BS goes away? I want a threaded one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 3:43:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah its on the RobArm website. Military only though. Its called the RAV02 7.62x39mm.

www.robarm.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top