Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/2/2006 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I remember the ad, but that was when Colt cared and advertised to the civiy market.
Today, I believe, Colt can barely keep up with their military contracts and sees the civilian market
as a liability. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion.
I still own a pre-ban Colt that I never shoot. I have owned quite a few in the past.

Bill
Link Posted: 11/20/2006 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there an updated chart showing companies like CMMG, LMT, Delton, Superior and others?d
Link Posted: 12/7/2006 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#3]
RRA does provide options for chrome chamber & bore for more than just their M4 barrels.

Thanks for consolidating the various info into the chart, Troy.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Very nice work
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Great information
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By cmd1522:
Is there an updated chart showing companies like CMMG, LMT, Delton, Superior and others?d

The market apparantly has moved too fast lately to keep this up to date.

Link Posted: 4/4/2007 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Since this issue of Good Colt/Bad Colt and the 90's boycott was brought up I thought to post this for all to comment on and I think this is accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt%27s_Manufacturing_Company

The Boycott
In 1994, the assets of Colt were purchased by Zilkha & Co, a financial group owned by Donald Zilkha. It was speculated that Zilkha's financial backing of the company, combined with his connections to the Democratic Party, enabled Colt to begin winning back military contracts. In fact during the time period it won only one contract, the M4 Carbine. However, the US Military had already been purchasing Colt Carbines for the past 30 Years (See Colt Commando).

During a 1998 Washington Post interview, CEO Ron Stewart stated that he would favor a federal permit system with training and testing for gun ownership. This, in combination with the growing revelations of Zilkha's ties to anti-gun factions of the Democratic Party, led to a massive grass-roots boycott of Colt's products by gun stores and ordinary gun owners, some of whom sold their Colt firearms to cut into Colt's market share even more. This ultimately led to the resignation of Ron Stewart.

Zilkha replaced Stewart with Steven Sliwa and focused the remainder of Colt's handgun design efforts into "smart guns", a concept which was favored politically but had little interest or support among handgun owners or Police Departments. This research never produced any meaningful results due to the limited technology at the time.

The boycott of Colt has faded out with the new CEO William M. Keys, a retired U.S. Marine Lt. General, working hard to bring Colt back from its tarnished reputation. Due to the efforts of William Keys, Colt's quality has improved as much as its favor with die hard Colt fans.

Link Posted: 5/1/2007 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you add the S&W M&P's?
Link Posted: 5/20/2007 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Its time for everyone to come in out of the rain under one umbrella and stop the bashing and in fighting over brands"I will say if hesse were the only offering id pass"...I dont care anymore about pin sizes,company philosophy..in todays climate in this country and the world events going on in front of our eyes heres whats important...get a good AR,good mags and a stash of ammo..get an AR from whatever company offers one that you like and thats that...thats whats important now a days...whatever attitude Colt has you can still get one...and the point get one and thats that because the way things are going we might need it one day

I hate the in fighting,bashing and all the other crap that goes on here at times and its a good example of how divided gun owners can be and that behavior is why we are always at odds with the anti-gun crowd over our 2cnd ammendment rights..when will it end?its time to stand together..handgunners,hunters and military rifle enthusists...we at times are our worst enemies.

I have a commie M14 does that mean I suck because it came from a country that cares nothing for human rights.I had a need and the chinese rifle filled it with better quality and price than springfield could have done..that in itself is sad when the foreign made one is better than what an American company is kicking out.Soi get them when you can from what ever maker and thats that.
Link Posted: 5/22/2007 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#10]

Originally Posted By ChromeLined:
Its time for everyone to come in out of the rain under one umbrella and stop the bashing and in fighting over brands"I will say if hesse were the only offering id pass"...I dont care anymore about pin sizes,company philosophy..in todays climate in this country and the world events going on in front of our eyes heres whats important...get a good AR,good mags and a stash of ammo..get an AR from whatever company offers one that you like and thats that...thats whats important now a days...whatever attitude Colt has you can still get one...and the point get one and thats that because the way things are going we might need it one day

I hate the in fighting,bashing and all the other crap that goes on here at times and its a good example of how divided gun owners can be and that behavior is why we are always at odds with the anti-gun crowd over our 2cnd ammendment rights..when will it end?its time to stand together..handgunners,hunters and military rifle enthusists...we at times are our worst enemies.

+1
Link Posted: 5/31/2007 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#11]
height=8
Originally Posted By ChromeLined:
Its time for everyone to... stop the bashing and in fighting over brands...

You said it. There's a so much good info here, but fervent spiteful brand loyalty keeps killing threads. I don't get it at all.
Link Posted: 7/12/2007 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#12]
The chart doesn't show up.. is the link busted?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 5:57:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy,
Thanks for the info, the industry will either hide or be up front, and we will never know who's telling the truth.
Link Posted: 8/23/2007 1:05:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: el_feroz] [#14]
Troy, here is some changes you can add to the chart for the Armalite line.

MPI  Bolt                                       3
Pressure Test (HPT) Bolt               3
Shot Peened Bolt                          X
Black Extractor Spring Insert        3
Properly Staked Gas Key              X
M16 Bolt Carrier                            4
Milspec Barrel Steel                      X
Pressure Test (HPT) Barrel            3
Chrome Chamber and Bore           X

1:7 Rifling Twist                            5
5.56mm Chamber                           X                
M4 Feedramps                                X
F Front Sight Base (FSB)              
Milspec Dia. Receiver Extension   X
Staked Castle Nut                           X
“H” Buffer                                      X

Taper Pins at FSB                        
Parkerize under FSB                       X
Double Shield Handguards              6
Milspec Dia FCG Pins                    X

Lifetime Warranty                           X
Average Street Price

3.  MPI and HPT performed as contracted, normal MPI and HPT verification
established by 4 gun 25 HPT RD/MPI torture test.  Bolt bears patented
“load leveled” lugs.

4.  M16 hammer cam on carrier

5.1:7 inch rifling twist available on certain runs.  

6.Double heatshield handguards used on 6 inch guards.
      ArmaLite mid length handguards feature single heatshields
Link Posted: 8/26/2007 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for posting the above information.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#16]
3 years warranty on DPMS?

hummm
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 10:53:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes, thanks for the updates to the chart. I stole what you posted to inform some other people in a different thread.
Link Posted: 11/2/2007 1:57:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scotter260] [#18]
Regarding Rock River Arms-

From an IM I sent Steve the RRA Moderator here regarding substitution of 1/7 barrel on an upper, reply received 10/26/07:

"The kit doesn't allow for subs, but the upper certainly does. Aside from the upcharge for the chrome-lined bbl, there's no additional charge for going from the 1:9 HBAR to the 1:7 lightweight.
Thanks.
Steve/RRA"

Regarding DPMS-

I also spoke with Sales Representative Bob at DPMS via telephone last week (10/22-10/26) asking if a 1/7 twist barrel could be substituted in a DPMS complete AP4 kit. He stated that would be fine. On a follow-up call I spoke with another rep when Bob was busy who stated any AP4 barrel, and most SBR barrels, could be ordered with 1/7 twist.

FWIW,
Scott
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 2:35:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Some dude was like:
Ya forgot the loose fitting cheap crap colum for dpms.....

Instead, can you jot a Y in Panther Arms' chrome column?
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=30&t=157336
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 3:06:54 PM EDT
[#20]
New here guys wondering if any one knows about High Standards AR? Thanks Mikeh.gif
Link Posted: 12/19/2007 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#21]
This is very good information.  I would like to know about newer companies like Patriot Ordinance or CMMG.  CMMG seams to be gaining popularity as well as the piston makers like POF. How do they match up with AR's like colt
Link Posted: 1/31/2008 10:21:25 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm interested how Stag Arms would compare on the chart.
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 2:22:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The chart needs updating.

Chrome lining is available on DPMS Barrels as an option.  

Bushmaster is the biggest commercial AR manufacturer followed by DPMS.
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By mjkberg:
The chart needs updating.

Chrome lining is available on DPMS Barrels as an option.  

Bushmaster is the biggest commercial AR manufacturer followed by DPMS.

Most of the assemblers/'manufacturers' of ARs now offer chrome lined bores as an option.

And, although it's somewhat hard to interpret BATFE production figures since they tend to be divided up according to location (and manufacturers with multiple locations tend to get their production figures split up per location), it looks like Rock River Arms is now number 3...

Unless I'm interpreting the production numbers wrong, which is certainly possible...

Forrest

Link Posted: 3/14/2008 9:22:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#25]
This chart is from Rob_S from M4Carbine. Very well done, very relevant and frankly has information the chart on page one should have had but doesn't..

Link Posted: 3/25/2008 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By M4:
This chart is from Rob_S from M4Carbine. Very well done, very relevant and frankly has information the chart on page one should have had but doesn't..

i150.photobucket.com/albums/s107/5POINT56/071120-AR-Comparison-Chart.jpg

Good info, but will someone please seal the deal on the CMMGs?  Do they or do they not MP test their bolts, ect.?
Link Posted: 3/25/2008 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By M4:

I've heard quite often that this list isn't quite accurate.  When it gets posted on THR, a lot of people disregard it, and say it's heavily influenced by "kool-aid" drinking.  What specifically isn't accurate?  I dunno.  

P.S.
I thought I remember reading that "rob_s" and a few others from M4carbine, do not get along with some "higher-ups" from this site.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 6:53:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#28]

Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

Originally Posted By M4:

I've heard quite often that this list isn't quite accurate.  When it gets posted on THR, a lot of people disregard it, and say it's heavily influenced by "kool-aid" drinking.  What specifically isn't accurate?  I dunno.  

P.S.
I thought I remember reading that "rob_s" and a few others from M4carbine, do not get along with some "higher-ups" from this site.

As far as this list goes, it details materials and manufacturing practices....and significant ones at that. I don't see how it could be reasonably dismissed. Rob_s, I believe, used to go by the name Norman74 around here. He jumped ship a few years ago. M4Carbine does have some ARFCOM ex-pats, many of whom enjoy looking down their noses at membership here, to a large degree. Some of its founded, some of its some false sense of superiority. They do their best to snuggle side by side with the likes of 10-8, but frankly don't have anywhere near the experienced membership.

Pat Rogers and Larry Vickers occasionally post there....but many of the rest are just guys who have taken some classes and like to thump their chest about it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2008 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By M4:

Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:

Originally Posted By M4:

P.S.

As far as this list goes, it details materials and manufacturing practices....and significant ones at that. I don't see how it could be reasonably dismissed. Rob_s, I believe, used to go by the name Norman74 around here. He jumped ship a few years ago. M4Carbine does have some ARFCOM ex-pats, many of whom enjoy looking down their noses at membership here, to a large degree. Some of its founded, some of its some false sense of superiority. They do their best to snuggle side by side with the likes of 10-8, but frankly don't have anywhere near the experienced membership.

Pat Rogers and Larry Vickers occasionally post there....but many of the rest are just guys who have taken some classes and like to thump their chest about it.

Ah, I see.  I knew I had read something similar to that.

I've checked out their site a few times, and it almost seems that if you don't own a Colt, LMT or Noveske, you own a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/12/2008 2:39:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By recon:
This chart?
www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6642

Yeah, the same one conveniently posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/20/2008 11:10:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Is the link broke to the chart in the start of this thread?? all I see is a red X....
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 2:47:35 PM EDT
[#33]
The truth hurts... now back to my COLT cool aid.
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 8:17:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Ralph:
Is the link broke to the chart in the start of this thread?? all I see is a red X....

A change in the AR15 photo server has messed with the "chart photo's" address so until it is updated all anyone will see is a red X......

mike
Link Posted: 10/1/2008 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#35]
Still a red X
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#36]
my new LMT has double shielded handguards.
Link Posted: 11/27/2008 1:37:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Is my tin foil keeping me from seeing anything except a red X ?

Link Posted: 11/29/2008 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#38]
i am buying an AR15 for my boyfriend for christmas. i dont know much about them to decide which brand i want? any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/10/2008 1:02:52 PM EDT
[#39]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top