Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2002 9:44:01 PM EDT
I know that it is illegal to have a postban lower and a preban upper, but I was wondering what the likelyhood is that I would get caught if I ground off the bayo lug and kept a muzzle brake on it. The reason that I would like a threaded muzzle is because it is cheaper to put on your own brakes then to have them pinned and welded by a smith. Another reason is so that I could hav a couple brakes I could use. My question is, how likely is it that I would get caught and much trouble could I get in if I did?
Link Posted: 12/15/2002 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#1]

it is not worth it.  you could loose your RKBA, go to jail, and pay fines.  

spend some effort and write your elected people about the ban.  2004 is not so far away that if we all take action you will be able to do what you want and have a damn bayo lug and flash hider again.

or just buy a post-ban and be cranky about it like everyone else.

Link Posted: 12/16/2002 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, I am not going to advise you to do it, but my perception of reality is that, so long as you don't get into any other legal trouble, that would have authorities checking into all aspects of your life, you would probably be OK doing this.  If you should decide to do it, I'd encourage you to make a decision on which muzzle devise works best for you, then go ahead and have it permanently mounted.

Please note that I clearly said that this is my perception of reality.  Despite colorful descriptions of your becoming Bubba's Bed Buddy,
I seriously doubt the feds, with the acute shortage of bed space at federal prisons, would bother to even file charges, in the highly  unlikely event that the nonpermanent device was discovered. Now in thew event that you chose to use this rifle to stick up a liquor store, the violation could get the case transferred to a federal court where the sentence would be much harsher than in a state court.

You're not planning to stick up any liqour stores are you??
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:26:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Not any time soon anyway. I will wait till after the ban sunsets for things like armed robbery. lol  Here is the next question.  Would it be possible to put threads on a rra .920" stainless barrel? I know that the .920 barrel would have to be trimmed down first.  About how much would this cost?  I am quite tired and really don't know what I am talkin about anymore, so no pokin fun if this is a retarded question.
Link Posted: 12/16/2002 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not any time soon anyway. I will wait till after the ban sunsets for things like armed robbery. lol  Here is the next question.  Would it be possible to put threads on a rra .920" stainless barrel? I know that the .920 barrel would have to be trimmed down first.  About how much would this cost?  I am quite tired and really don't know what I am talkin about anymore, so no pokin fun if this is a retarded question.

Just go to bed.....
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 8:19:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Some might tell you they have had no problems , no even a glance. Nary an inquiry.
Link Posted: 12/17/2002 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Hell, around here we have LEOs / part-time FFLs who routinely try to sell postban lowers with preban uppers at gun show.  Arguing about the Crime Bill is just a waste of breath with these guys.  They're "law enforcement" so they "know the law."

I keep seeing them show after show, so obviously nothing much is being done about it.

But I like to keep my nose clean for other reasons, mainly peace of mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top