Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2002 1:45:43 AM EDT
I would like to get one what is a good brand and how much should I be spending. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 2:44:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/14/2002 2:45:49 AM EDT by ArmaLiter]
It all depends on what quality you're looking for. A couple hundred dollars will get you low quality optics, yet operable Generation 1 Night Owl or ATN brand monocular. If you are looking for high quality Generation 2 and 3 night vision, look at US Night Vision ot ITT and expect to pay $1500 and up.

ArmaLiter
( Oh my lord!! It's my 666th post!! )
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 3:47:07 AM EDT
Would recommend you really define what you want it for. They work really great in the far boonies but close into big cities there's alot of residual light that makes them glare. Buy the illumination that fits your needs or it will set in your closet like mine. Great SHTF item and quite a novelty to the unknowing.
Link Posted: 12/14/2002 4:35:47 AM EDT
EBAY!!!!!!
I found a like new gen 2 ITT monacle for about half of new.
Figure out what you want and watch the listings daily. A deal will come along that you can have a shot at winning a bid. There are others who constantly watch for deals to resell but you can still do well for your $$.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=night%20vision&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1code=0&category5=7307&from=R5&popular=7307
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 7:09:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tnek:
EBAY!!!!!!
I found a like new gen 2 ITT monacle for about half of new.
Figure out what you want and watch the listings daily. A deal will come along that you can have a shot at winning a bid. There are others who constantly watch for deals to resell but you can still do well for your $$.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&query=night%20vision&ht=1&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ebaytag1code=0&category5=7307&from=R5&popular=7307

I sure wish people would stop spreading the word about night vision on ebay. The prices seem to have been driven up for several months now on the decent gear.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:39:25 PM EDT
My understanding is that if you expose the lens to too much light (e.g. taking lenscap off on sunny day) it will degrade or possibly ruin the night vision element.

I would be wary of buying a used one sight unseen from a stranger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 3:51:00 PM EDT
WallMart sells them in the guns section up here in Maine...

BISHOP
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 5:53:00 PM EDT
Gen. IIIs will run a couple K.
I did a comparison of Gen I vs. Gen II vs. Gen III. clairity and field of vision follow in that order. Prices fall in same suit.

Of all places I was at Cabelas trying out
Gen I russian optics vs. Gen II US optics vs.
ITT Gen III PVS-7 and PVS-14 monoculars!

p.s. wearing the GEN III PVS-7 goggles will
give you a heaping helping of nausea after too long. The guy let me walk around Cabela's with
the things on with my arms stretched out. I got some funny looks from the
Billies but oh well!
Top Top