Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2002 4:08:40 PM EDT
At a gun show on Saturday I bought my first M-1 Carbine.  I shot one a couple of times while in Vietnam but this is the first one I have ever owned.  They are sooo cool.  Lots of fun to shoot.  I like the feel of the gun.  Won't ever use it for defense.  It probably couldn't knock down anything over 50 yds away.

Am I'm the only one who thinks they are cool?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
No, my wife does. I got an early war winchester M-1 arsenally converted for the late adjustable sight and M2 mag catch and front band. She likes it better than my bolt .22lr (it's actually a bit lighter unloaded)It wouldn't be bad for defense, try the winchester 110gr hollowpoints. All the problems the army had with over-penetration were with ball type ammo, remember, it's a light short, fairly accurate rifle with 3 times the power or a .45 auto. I think that makes it good for defence as long as targets aren't wearing threat level 3 armor and you use expanding bullets.
Just my .02
_______________________________________________Got F.A.L.?
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine is a late war production United Postal Meter.  It is in great shape but I don't think it is a collectable.  Thinking about buying a new stock to save the existing war era one from further wear.  It shoots great.  I hit the gong at 200 yds with it using surplus war production ammo. Love the sights.  Seems like a great gun to carry around in the back window gun rack of the pickup truck.
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a '44 GM (Inland).

I got it back in '84 for about $125  

Only problems I've had with it are ammo related.

It's fun to shoot, I wish they were a bit less costly now, or I'd collect 'em!
Link Posted: 11/20/2002 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mine is a late war production United Postal Meter.

I got a Postal Meter too. Mine's damn accurate. It's great to to use a Carbine to ease new shooters from .22s to higher calibers.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 1:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a U.S.G.I. unissued condition M1 kit for about 280.00 and a Brand new Mil spec Springfield Armory reciever for 150.00 and built up all the parts and had a Gunsmith headspace, ream the chamber, and attach the barrel for me. I did a really nice finnish on the stock and added a sling and stock mag pouch too it. After everything was said and done I ended up with basically a brand new mill spec M1 Carbine for around 600 dollars, and I am really pleased at the 2 inch groups at 100 yds that I can consistantly get when I put my aim in the right place. I am well pleased and very proud of my little War baby and so was Audi Murphy.  
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Plainfeild myself.  Yeah yeah... it's not USGI, but it functions fine!  Put a repro folding stock on it.  

It does get underrated, because of the ammo.  Soft point or hollow point could be VERY deadly in this weapon.  FMJ just penetrates too much and won't expand well.  I think FMJ is only good for plinking.

Does Winchester make a hollowpoint .30 Carbine?  I haven't seen any (haven't really looked, either)  I've found softpoint, and keep a 15 rounder full of soft points.  

I plan on putting a dot sight on it, in a scout style mount, so it will be quicker aquiring the sights.  That's my biggest gripe about it, it's hard to aquire the sights after a shot!
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 7:51:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a National Ordnance that I found cheap.  Since it's not a GI receiver, I don't feel bad about tweaking it.  I've put a teflon-moly coat on it and it seems to be pretty accurate.  I got the 2-mag stock pouch and installed it.  It rode in my wife's trunk for a few months after 9/11.

I'd like to have a few more of them but they are getting kind of rare and expensive around here.  Even the Plainfields are going for $300.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody ever try the .22 Spitfire wildcat barrel conversion in their carbine?
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 1:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I've seen the ad's in SGN for that.  If you have a GI M1carb, how can you justify doing this? well, maybe I can see it if you have a POS rifle and/or bbl.  But I couldnt bear to do it to mine, as it is all original GI and VG+ condition.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 6:12:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen the ad's in SGN for that.  If you have a GI M1carb, how can you justify doing this? well, maybe I can see it if you have a POS rifle and/or bbl.  But I couldnt bear to do it to mine, as it is all original GI and VG+ condition.

Well, the M1 carbine barrel is a snap to install and remove...
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I've had a number of them, and none of them were what I call accurate. I think I'm to blame for that, though. I'm a competitive shooter and I'm pretty anal about what I call accurate.

Stiil they're a pretty nead fast handling little utility gun.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, the M1 carbine barrel is a snap to install and remove...

ken could you expand on that abit please?  I have a GI barrel and rcvr and been thinking about doing it myself to add to my stripes (2 ARs and a FAL).  Come to think of it maybe you should reply by email sos not to hijack this thread.   [email protected]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top