Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:29:41 PM EDT
I have a Ruger 10/22 with a folding stock in my SHTF kit.

I need to find a heavy duty plastic bag for long term storage.

Kind of like the ones they had in "Saving Private Ryan" in the D-Day beach scene.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:46:15 PM EDT
Ive seen some in either Creedmores cataloge or Champions choice.They do sell them and they are out there.War Dawg
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 12:28:24 AM EDT
For longterm storage in plastic,would'nt one have to coat the stored piece's metal parts with grease or another product,too keep rust at bay?
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 3:04:16 AM EDT
The Army issues a heavy duty clear plastic bag for storage of the M16 - think I'd only use it in desert areas where I wouldn't readily need my weapon though. I'm not too keen on the plastic idea since plastic doesn't breath and without lots of grease/CLP - I'd imagine the weapon would quickly become a rust magnet. Maybe a cloth case - waterproof and breathable with dessicant packs in it would work - or for long term storage a PVC pipe container with Dessicant packs to absorb moisture, weapon coated in oil/grease, and cover sealed off.

Be careful if you use actual gun grease - anything like cosmoline may stick to it well and preserve - but will be a pain in the a## if you need to clean your weapon up quickly and put it to use. CLP works well enough for most situations.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:17:38 AM EDT
On the chance you or a friend have a Foodsaver vacumn sealer- those things let you make an infinite length bag, I'd oil or CLP it, then pad any sharp edges and Vacumn seal it, then no worries about rust.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:03:28 AM EDT
Bianchi makes a heavy plastic bag, impregnated with a Rust Inhibitor - called "Bianchi Blue".
I comes in a variety of sizes fm small, handgun size to large for M1 Garand type stuff.

I used it to store a bunch of stuff for about 4 years. Seemed to work quite well. No special treatment for the guns required, just clean them and lube them as normal, slip them in the bag and tape it securely shut. I would think that this would work quite well for what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:07:54 AM EDT
The food saver is a great idea. I know that alot of people us it to seal there ammo with. Just throw a few packs of dessicant in with it and seal it up. If you decide to put oil or CLP on it prior to sealing I would use only a light coat and would use CLP instead of oil. Just my .02
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:20:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NightSniper:
The food saver is a great idea. I know that alot of people us it to seal there ammo with. Just throw a few packs of dessicant in with it and seal it up. If you decide to put oil or CLP on it prior to sealing I would use only a light coat and would use CLP instead of oil. Just my .02

I wish I had a food saver but I don't. I can't believe a surplus bag of this nature is that hard to find.

Anyone close to 43rd Ave & Glendale have a food saver they want to let me borrow for 15 minutes?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:44:35 PM EDT
My foodsaver storage technique: I use bownells imprenated gun storage bags (that way no sharp edges) liberally coat weapon with sheath - for long term weapon storage and then place a desicant package in mag well and vacume seal.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:59:28 PM EDT
The reason I want to use plastic is because it will get the rest of my SHTF bag oily.

Is there another alternative to the food saver?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:23:06 PM EDT
Send your rifle to me. I will hermetically seal it up and store it in my SHTF kit for you. Just call when you need it.

LOL!

IMHO...if you have to seal and wrap up a weapon, what good is it if and when you really need fast access to it. I say keep it available and ready.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:33:45 PM EDT

IMHO...if you have to seal and wrap up a weapon, what good is it if and when you really need fast access to it. I say keep it available and ready.

I have plenty of rifles I can grab with it. I have the Ruger for once I get out of the city. The AR will get me out just fine. I am aslo one of those "all of it in 1 bag" since the SHTF stuff tends to start to spread out all over the house if not kept in check.

I figure in a high stress situation. It will make it easy to just grad it and the AR.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:38:28 PM EDT
You may be OK wrapping a firearm in plastic in Arizona but here on the east coast its better to store your arms in the open, like in a safe with a goldenrod.

One of my shooting buddies has rusted a Beretta O/U and an autoloading shotgun just keeping them in hard cases under his bed. Not serious rust, but rust nevertheless.
Top Top