Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2002 8:29:41 PM EDT
I have a Ruger 10/22 with a folding stock in my SHTF kit.  

I need to find a heavy duty plastic bag for long term storage.  

Kind of like the ones they had in "Saving Private Ryan" in the D-Day beach scene.
Link Posted: 11/15/2002 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive seen some in either Creedmores cataloge or Champions choice.They do sell them and they are out there.War Dawg
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 12:28:24 AM EDT
[#2]
For longterm storage in plastic,would'nt one have to coat the stored piece's metal parts with grease or another product,too keep rust at bay?
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 3:04:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The Army issues a heavy duty clear plastic bag for storage of the M16 - think I'd only use it in desert areas where I wouldn't readily need my weapon though. I'm not too keen on the plastic idea since plastic doesn't breath and without lots of grease/CLP - I'd imagine the weapon would quickly become a rust magnet. Maybe a cloth case - waterproof and breathable with dessicant packs in it would work - or for long term storage a PVC pipe container with Dessicant packs to absorb moisture, weapon coated in oil/grease, and cover sealed off.

Be careful if you use actual gun grease - anything like cosmoline may stick to it well and preserve - but will be a pain in the a## if you need to clean your weapon up quickly and put it to use. CLP works well enough for most situations.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
On the chance you or a friend have a Foodsaver vacumn sealer- those things let you make an infinite length bag, I'd oil or CLP it, then pad any sharp edges and Vacumn seal it, then no worries about rust.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:03:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Bianchi makes a heavy plastic bag, impregnated with a Rust Inhibitor - called "Bianchi Blue".
I comes in a variety of sizes fm small, handgun size to large for M1 Garand type stuff.

I used it to store a bunch of stuff for about 4 years. Seemed to work quite well. No special treatment for the guns required, just clean them and lube them as normal, slip them in the bag and tape it securely shut. I would think that this would work quite well for what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 11/16/2002 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#6]
The food saver is a great idea.  I know that alot of people us it to seal there ammo with.  Just throw a few packs of dessicant in with it and seal it up.  If you decide to put oil or CLP on it prior to sealing I would use only a light coat and would use CLP instead of oil.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The food saver is a great idea.  I know that alot of people us it to seal there ammo with.  Just throw a few packs of dessicant in with it and seal it up.  If you decide to put oil or CLP on it prior to sealing I would use only a light coat and would use CLP instead of oil.  Just my .02

I wish I had a food saver but I don't.  I can't believe a surplus bag of this nature is that hard to find.  

Anyone close to 43rd Ave & Glendale have a food saver they want to let me borrow for 15 minutes?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#8]
My foodsaver storage technique:  I use bownells imprenated gun storage bags (that way no sharp edges)  liberally coat weapon with sheath - for long term weapon storage and then place a desicant package in mag well and vacume seal.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
The reason I want to use plastic is because it will get the rest of my SHTF bag oily.  

Is there another alternative to the food saver?
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Send your rifle to me. I will hermetically seal it up and store it in my SHTF kit for you. Just call when you need it.

LOL!

IMHO...if you have to seal and wrap up a weapon, what good is it if and when you really need fast access to it. I say keep it available and ready.
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 6:33:45 PM EDT
[#11]

IMHO...if you have to seal and wrap up a weapon, what good is it if and when you really need fast access to it. I say keep it available and ready.

I have plenty of rifles I can grab with it.  I have the Ruger for once I get out of the city.  The AR will get me out just fine.  I am aslo one of those "all of it in 1 bag" since the SHTF stuff tends to start to spread out all over the house if not kept in check.

I figure in a high stress situation.  It will make it easy to just grad it and the AR.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2002 7:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
You may be OK wrapping a firearm in plastic in Arizona but here on the east coast its better to store your arms in the open, like in a safe with a goldenrod.

One of my shooting buddies has rusted a Beretta O/U and an autoloading shotgun just keeping them in hard cases under his bed. Not serious rust, but rust nevertheless.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top