Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/5/2002 2:40:20 PM EDT
I want a .22 lr conversion for the AR. I see a USGI and a Ciener conversion, both are within a few dollars of each other. Which one is best?[:\]
Lebrew
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
best.........??

it's a toss up.., are you buying new or used ??

i have two Ceiners, they both function flawlessly, still looking for the AirForce conversion...
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 6:57:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Gunbroker, Auctionarms, and Guns America all have Ciener, and USGI. Its not specific if its USAF, but I like the GI mag that fits in the 20 rd ar mag. The GI stuff is used.
Lebrew
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
USGI is the best IMHO.  The $10 magazine inserts fit into your USGI magazines.

That means:

1) Cheap magazines ($10 for a 10 round USGI vs $25 for a 10 round Cienner)

2) When you practice you'll be loading/unloading using standard USGI magazines so get the same muscle memory as using full-power loads.
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]
hey cactus jack,

what kind of groups are you getting?  I would like to get one, but was thinking about gettin a dedicated upper.

Thanks
Lojack
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 11:53:54 AM EDT
[#5]
From my 14.5" Bushmaster chrome lined barrel (1:9 twist) I get 1" groups at 25 yards, 4" groups at 50 yards.  Using the copper plated Federal HP's ($9/box 550) from Walmart.

Things really go to crap at 100 yard. (Patterns instead of groups and the group really drops).
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the USGI unit, the only problem is reliability, it malfunctions quite a lot when the rifle is dirty, let's say after 100 rounds. My unit seems to work quite well with WW high velocity copper plated 40 gr bullets, but accuracy is mediocre at best, probably around 3 to 4 inches at 50 meters with a 1 in 7 twist heavy barrel.
Having a dedicated upper sounds like a good idea... but probably expensive.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
lojack,

i never give it a good paper test, but at 100 yd. i was hitting "E" size gas cylinder, (the ones in EMT vehicles) about 25 out of 30 shot mag. that is from a Colt SP-1, from a Bushie & two other "shortys, i get great plinking accuracy, all off hand shooting, i only shoot my bolt rifles from a bench.....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top