Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/31/2002 8:40:24 PM EDT
I am putting a new barrel on my AR. It currently has a Colt "M4" marked upper, COlt bolt carrier and bolt. I was going to put a Colt 14.5" M4 1/7 4150 chrome lined barrel on her. The cost is $400 for that barrel.

DPMS has a 14.5" M4 1/7 4150 chrome lined barrel available for $225.

Will I gain anything in accuracy with the Colt? Will the DPMS be more accurate?

I will pay to have the feed ramps cut into the DPMS barrel if I get it but that is a negligable cost.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:57:55 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:
I will pay to have the feed ramps cut into the DPMS barrel if I get it but that is a negligable cost.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but DPMS M4 Chrome barrel/chamber have the feedramps already. Right?
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:42:47 PM EDT
I thought it was a Colt trademark of the M4 along with the handguards and side sling.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:57:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DevL:
I thought it was a Colt trademark of the M4 along with the handguards and side sling.

I have ordered one of these (not yet have gotten it due to UPS) but a member here by the name of nashgill has one of the 14.5" DPMS Chrome Lined from CMMG and this is the pic he took of the feedramps:

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:33:57 PM EDT
So what would you do if you were me? I sold my Bushmaster M4 14.5" 1/9 barrel so I could get a 1/7 to shoot the 75 and 77 grain rounds. I have a Colt M4 upper, bolt and carrier right now because I thought Id be getting a Colt barrel. It appears the DPMS barrel would be a nice match to that upper for less money but will it be as accurate as the Colt barrel? This is going with a Knights 2 stage trigger and FF RAS so I want the most accurate barrel I can get and still be mil spec.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:47:59 PM EDT
What brand is your lower? If it's a colt lower, then I would reccommend using the Colt barrel, to keep everything the same manufacturer for possible resale value someday. If you're not worried about that, I feel either one is good. I have a 16 inch heavy barrel from DPMS. USing 75 gr Blackhills Moly Hp's, I got a four shot group that was a one hole...the fifth shot opened it up to 4/10's of an inch. I was impressed, and further shooting with that AR provided 2 inch opensighted groups at DCM targets 200 yards away. I was impressed with the DPMS capabilities to say the least. Sounds like you do have a tough call though...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:04:56 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster unfired preban lower. I had intended it to be all Bushmaster but then I decided on a 1/7 twist. If I could find a Colt White label lower (all milspec trigger pins/takedown pins and only made for part of one year from lowers slated for LEO/Govt use but they ran short) preban lower unfired I would sell the Bushmaster and get that. Like Id EVER find one of those! So do I want a Bushy/Colt lower/upper or a total mutt?

If the Colt shot .1 MOA better Id put the money on the Colt. I am trying to make the BEST Milspec M4 you can buy at any cost and still be legal. Is DPMS the best barrel made? Is Colt? Bushmaster perhaps?
Top Top