Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2002 8:40:24 PM EDT
I am putting a new barrel on my AR.  It currently has a Colt "M4" marked upper, COlt bolt carrier and bolt.  I was going to put a Colt 14.5" M4 1/7 4150 chrome lined barrel on her.  The cost is $400 for that barrel.

DPMS has a 14.5" M4 1/7 4150 chrome lined barrel available for $225.

Will I gain anything in accuracy with the Colt?  Will the DPMS be more accurate?  

I will pay to have the feed ramps cut into the DPMS barrel if I get it but that is a negligable cost.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 8:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I will pay to have the feed ramps cut into the DPMS barrel if I get it but that is a negligable cost.

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but DPMS M4 Chrome barrel/chamber have the feedramps already. Right?
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was a Colt trademark of the M4 along with the handguards and side sling.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 10:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I thought it was a Colt trademark of the M4 along with the handguards and side sling.

I have ordered one of these (not yet have gotten it due to UPS) but a member here by the name of nashgill has one of the 14.5" DPMS Chrome Lined from CMMG and this is the pic he took of the feedramps:

Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
So what would you do if you were me?  I sold my Bushmaster M4 14.5" 1/9 barrel so I could get a 1/7 to shoot the 75 and 77 grain rounds.  I have a Colt M4 upper, bolt and carrier right now because I thought Id be getting a Colt barrel.  It appears the DPMS barrel would be a nice match to that upper for less money but will it be as accurate as the Colt barrel?  This is going with a Knights 2 stage trigger and FF RAS so I want the most accurate barrel I can get and still be mil spec.
Link Posted: 10/31/2002 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#5]
What brand is your lower? If it's a colt lower, then I would reccommend using the Colt barrel, to keep everything the same manufacturer for possible resale value someday. If you're not worried about that, I feel either one is good. I have a 16 inch heavy barrel from DPMS. USing 75 gr Blackhills Moly Hp's, I got a four shot group that was a one hole...the fifth shot opened it up to 4/10's of an inch. I was impressed, and further shooting with that AR provided 2 inch opensighted groups at DCM targets 200 yards away. I was impressed with the DPMS capabilities to say the least. Sounds like you do have a tough call though...
Link Posted: 11/1/2002 12:04:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Bushmaster unfired preban lower.  I had intended it to be all Bushmaster but then I decided on a 1/7 twist.  If I could find a Colt White label lower (all milspec trigger pins/takedown pins and only made for part of one year from lowers slated for LEO/Govt use but they ran short) preban lower unfired I would sell the Bushmaster and get that.  Like Id EVER find one of those!  So do I want a Bushy/Colt lower/upper or a total mutt?

If the Colt shot .1 MOA better Id put the money on the Colt.  I am trying to make the BEST Milspec M4 you can buy at any cost and still be legal.  Is DPMS the best barrel made?  Is Colt?  Bushmaster perhaps?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top