Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/27/2002 5:35:02 PM EDT
I just got a great deal on some old shotguns that have been sitting for a long time. They have a few spots of surface rust on the barrels and receivers that I'd like to get rid of. Does anyone have a suggestion for removing the rust and refinishing the spots ? These will be field guns used for hunting, so they don't have to look like collector's pieces, but I'd like to do a decent job. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:41:38 PM EDT
Flitz. Just about any gun store should have it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:42:26 PM EDT
Rub gently with 00 steel wool soaked in WD40.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:26:48 PM EDT
Simichrome (SP?) in a tube. Will lift the rust out of the blueing. Wouldn't recommend it for Damascus barrels though.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:24:55 AM EDT
Use RB 17 and 0000 steel wool. It won't even scratch the bluing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:22:26 AM EDT
A few years ago I was given an old Mauser and a Mossberg shotgun. The rifle had some rust just about everywhere. The Mossberg was painted with spray paint.

A gunsmith told me to try some Chore Boy. It's like steel wool, only it isn't steel. (Did that make sense?) I want to say it's brass. Anyway, you can find Chore Boy at most grocery stores by the dish soap supplies.

I applied small amounts of solvent (Hoppe's #9) and then rubbed with the Chore Boy. Had to scrub the Mauser like hell, but it all came off. Occasionally I would wipe the gun down with a silicone cloth. Didn't appear to have scratched or marred the surface any. Had the same good results with the Mossberg.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:23:41 AM EDT
Hey Jim Dandy, great advice about WD40 and steelwool. I bought a rusty bipod (the last one) at the summit Co gun show for a pal. It was in tough shape bit like I said it was the last one and only $15.00. It cleaned up great. I still use Simichrome for small spots, but for a big job, your advice was better..
Top Top