Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2002 5:35:02 PM EDT
I just got a great deal on some old shotguns that have been sitting for a long time. They have a few spots of surface rust on the barrels and receivers that I'd like to get rid of. Does anyone have a suggestion for removing the rust and refinishing the spots ? These will be field guns used for hunting, so they don't have to look like collector's pieces, but I'd like to do a decent job. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Flitz. Just about any gun store should have it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Rub gently with 00 steel wool soaked in WD40.
Link Posted: 10/27/2002 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Simichrome (SP?) in a tube. Will lift the rust out of the blueing. Wouldn't recommend it for Damascus barrels though.....
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 3:24:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Use RB 17 and 0000 steel wool.  It won't even scratch the bluing.
Link Posted: 10/28/2002 7:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
A few years ago I was given an old Mauser and a Mossberg shotgun.  The rifle had some rust just about everywhere.  The Mossberg was painted with spray paint.

A gunsmith told me to try some Chore Boy.  It's like steel wool, only it isn't steel.  (Did that make sense?)  I want to say it's brass.  Anyway, you can find Chore Boy at most grocery stores by the dish soap supplies.  

I applied small amounts of solvent (Hoppe's #9) and then rubbed with the Chore Boy.  Had to scrub the Mauser like hell, but it all came off.  Occasionally I would wipe the gun down with a silicone cloth.  Didn't appear to have scratched or marred the surface any.  Had the same good results with the Mossberg.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2002 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey Jim Dandy, great advice about WD40 and steelwool. I bought a rusty bipod (the last one) at the summit Co gun show for a pal. It was in tough shape bit like I said it was the last one and only $15.00. It cleaned up great. I still use Simichrome for small spots, but for a big job, your advice was better..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top