Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/14/2002 1:04:21 AM EDT
Just got me a Springfield Armory "loaded" 1911. I was wondering what is the reason they have a two piece recoil spring guide assembly as compared to the one piece? Can I replace the two piece to a one piece like found on the Colt Government models?
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 2:03:41 AM EDT
2 piece screws together, is slightly longer than one piece and works fine when tightened properly; one piece is sturdier and can be fitted but may require a new recoil plug too
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 4:32:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/14/2002 4:32:30 AM EDT by ECS]
The 2 piece is supposed to be easier to install / remove.

Yes you can replace it with a 1 piece or even the standard "plug" used in the original design.

The only real benefit I have seen using the full length guide rods is they add a bit more weight to the gun. I have never been able to notice any improvement in function. Its mostly a marketing gimmic.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 8:26:11 AM EDT
The purpose for the rod is to "capture the recoils spring and keep it straight as it compress. With out the rod, the s[ring is free to twist/bind up inside the tunnel which it is housed. 2 piece rods are easier to work with, especially when you want to take the upper apart. Truthfully, 1 piece rod for 1911 needs to be outlawed, TOO BIG of PIA.
Link Posted: 10/14/2002 1:36:23 PM EDT
I use a two-piece Ed Brown in my Para. Added a little weight to the muzzle which was nice. Also smoothed out the cycling. Ease of installation is the reason for a two-piece. No real need for it outside of the reasons I mentioned. 1911's have worked for years with the std. plug.
Top Top