Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2002 5:38:06 PM EDT
What is the penalty of simple being in possesion of an AR SBR upper without the proper paperwork?

This is simply having one, unmounted....just the upper alone. However, it's in the company of other complete rifles.

Is it a serious offense?
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
What is the penalty of simple being in possesion of an AR SBR upper without the proper paperwork?

This is simply having one, unmounted....just the upper alone. However, it's in the company of other complete rifles.

Is it a serious offense?

If you have the SBR upper and any other rifle that it would fit on, it is considered owning an unregistered SBR, even if not assembled as one.  It can be serious.
Link Posted: 9/8/2002 6:02:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I seem to recall a case where the atf busted a guy which had a SB AR upper in his position. Upper was not mounted on a lower but it had optics mounted on it. Case went to court and the guys defense was that he was using it for PARTS. To make a long story short......he lost.
Link Posted: 9/9/2002 6:05:52 AM EDT
[#3]
LarryG:

Right on. By the same logic, ATF also proscribes the owning of extra shorter-than-16" uppers for a registered full-auto AR/M16, if there are other semi-auto AR's in the same house.

However, I imagine one could own a registered MG or SBR with *its* (one) short upper, and still have the semi-auto AR's you wanted.

Link Posted: 9/9/2002 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies fellas. I guessed as much, but didn't really know legally for sure.

I wish an SBR license was less of a bitch to get.....might as well be asking for a Class III.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wish an SBR license was less of a bitch to get.....might as well be asking for a Class III.

a complete SBR is a class 3. a upper is just a upper but if u own a gun that the upper can go on and its not a reg. MG or SBR u could and it has happened be prosocuted. for constuctive intent. so if u really want a SBR get a approved form 1 before u purchase that short barreled upper.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Can we hear from Steve-in-VA on this one?

Atten: Steve.... paging Steve...hello...can you hear me now?
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Its not a bitch to do at all, as long as you live in a state that allows it, $200 USD, and a proper form 1 package (availible on the net). Thats it.
I sumbmitted my papers mid April and got my tax stamp at the end of July..
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#8]
It is probably a violation of your state laws (most likely a felony).

It is a federal felony under the National Firearms Act. 10 years being Bubba's "wife" in federal pen and fines. As a convicted felon, you also lose the right to vote or ever own firearms or ammunition, ever. Get rid of the upper ASAP or at least transfer it to somebody with no ARs until you can get your tax stamp.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]
but wouldnt an upper be a non-firearm. anyone can order a 10" upper over the internet and have it shipped to your home. i would think as long as it had a semi-auto bolt carrier group that it would not constitute a "collection of parts"
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 7:54:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Its not a bitch to do at all, as long as you live in a state that allows it, $200 USD, and a proper form 1 package (availible on the net). Thats it.
I sumbmitted my papers mid April and got my tax stamp at the end of July..

I thought the process involved getting a local Chief LEO to sign off on it as well? I live in FL and though it is legal, LEO's don't sign....period. Sounds like not only are they enforcing laws, their modifying existing ones as well.....which is clearly not right, but that's the way it works.
Link Posted: 9/10/2002 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top