Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2002 9:15:17 AM EDT
I read in a previous post where a guy was selling a 6601 with a gov.profile barrel on it. He was told that the barrel hurt value since 6601's had heavy bbl's and no other.

I also own a 6601 (blue label preban)that has the original barrel,plus I have a another barrel thats also a heavy 20" 1/7 but it has a bayo lug in almost new cond. Would switching the barrels since both are almost identical diminish value. I realize some guys don't care if it has a lug or not but I think it looks naked without. Just my .02 worth.

What d'yall think?
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#1]
which is more valuble:
a rifle in the origional factory configuration
or a rifle with an aftermarket barrel?

i would put the factory upper in the safe and "shoot out" an aftermarket upper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Guess I should have mentioned that the 6601 is all original Colt,and the other barrel with the bayo lug is Colt mfg. too. Both barrels have identical markings(CMP 1/7),color,and finish.The only difference is the lug.I don't plan on selling. I would be doing this purely as an aesthetic thing. I know that its not a collectable like some AR's ,but I didn't want to diminish what it is worth.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
If you don't plan on selling it, it's value is meaningless!

Shoot whatever barrel you like.

You Colt guys just worry too much about the color of the label and the value of the gun.

Shoot it.  Enjoy it.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate your opinion even if I don't agree with it. Whether or not a person chooses to sell a possession is irrelevant.Don't you think its nice to know if something has increased in value? I certaintly wouldn't want to butcher it.In regards to being a "Colt guy",I happened to stumble upon this AR during a trade. I was interested in a GOOD QUALITY AR and not a POS.In fact,my first AR almost was a Bushmaster, instead its a Colt. I personally don't care if its an Orange,Yellow, or even a Pink label. What I was basing this question on was a post I saw in E.E. about a 6601 for sale with the wrong barrel. He was advised that because of that it would not bring as much as one closer to original. The first AR I had a chance to shoot was a friends SP1 years ago, and that particular image stayed with me(w/the "evil" lug). I don't feel like mine is better VS "other brands". In fact,I'm seriously considering a RRA for a 2nd AR. I asked the "barrel" question because I still consider myself NEW at this and I still have much to learn.I mentioned the specifics on the barrel because "308wood" misunderstood the barrel mfg. He thought I meant AFTERMARKET. BTW,I'm not trying to start a flame war. Just learn!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top