Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2002 9:49:10 PM EDT
Anybody ever get the idea of building an upper chambered for the .40 Super?  Would the major hangup be magazine availability or getting a .40 S&W barrel reamed for the new cartridge?  I have shot this load in several pistols...but its awefully tiring.  In a carbine it would be much nicer.  Any ideas?

Travis
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#1]
40 super like 10mm or just hero handloads?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I think he's referring to the .45 ACP that's been necked down to .40.

I have no experience with it, however.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think he's referring to the .45 ACP that's been necked down to .40.

I have no experience with it, however.  Sorry.

Is the .40 Super done by the same guys over in the Hill Country who build the .45 Super 1911's?
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:36:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the .40 Super done by the same guys over in the Hill Country who build the .45 Super 1911's?

Texas Ammunition?  Nope, I believe it's made by Triton Ammunition.

Yup...Triton

Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Texas Ammunition?  Nope, I believe it's made by Triton Ammunition.

Yup...Triton

triton-ammo.com/products/images/40SuperBP_med.gif

I was thinking about Ace Custom .45's over in Kerrville.

www.acecustom45.com/

They do a .45Super, drop-in .40's and .38 Super's that run 1600 ft/sec.  The idea seemed like a fit for what those guys do.  Or NOT.

Arock
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 8:36:16 AM EDT
[#6]
It seems like Ace Custom got sued over the .45Super and only Texas Ammunition makes it anymore...but maybe I have that backwards.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I am not sure of the players involved, but the developer of the .45 Super wanted it to be a proprietary cartridge.  Anybody that wanted to make commercial loads for it had to pay royalties back to the developer.  Anyway... Triton used to load the .45 Super and then stopped for the above reason.  Triton developed the .40 Super and started doing demo shoots at IDPA competitions around the country.  I shot the thing out of an HK USP.  My hand hurt for about an hour afterard...not sure if it was the gun or the ammo.

Anyway...just wondering if anybody had any thoughts of what it would take to chamber an AR for that round.  Thanks for the input.

Travis
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Triton is now making the .450 SMC, which is basically the same concept as the .45 Super.  External case dimensions for both cartridges are the same as .45ACP, but the brass is thicker allowing them to push the pressure (and so velocity) well above that of .45 ACP, even +P.  All that is usually require in a modern handgun is a strong recoil spring and perhaps a firing ping spring, although Ace Customs will try to sell you a package for around $300 - how jeweling of the barrel is a requirement for this conversion, I don't know.  Seems like they throw alot of unecessary stuff in their "conversion" in order to justify the price.

Never really looked at the .40 Super - looks to be the same concept as the .400 Corbon.  Don't know if this would be popular in an AR, though, for the same reason .45 ACP uppers aren't - lack of inexpensive mags that fit the AR magwell.  If CavArms ever does their combo .45/.223 lower, it will probably open up alot more doors for stuff like this.

Rocko  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top