Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 1:17:45 PM EDT
Okay, I got my tub of whiting from Brownell's.  I don't have it in front of me, but I believe it calls for mixing with "TEC" degreaser.  I thought I saw a post about using an engine degreaser for this, but I can't find the post.  

What are some chemicals (brand names) that I can use with the whiting?  Or should I just go to Home Depot and look for something with TEC in it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
It's almost impossible to find these days, but Triclorathane is about the best.  Nominally non-inflamable, a potent grease solvent, and evaporates in seconds.
The only problem is it's a possible cancer-causer, so it's hard to locate.

I still can find some from my local Eagle Oil company.  Try oil companies in your area.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
For taking grease & oil out of gunstocks, right?

I use cornstarch and acetone. They might not be the greatest, but seem to work. Acetone is widely available in hardware store paint departments.
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Acetone or lacquor thinner will work Ok, but for God's sake use it outside, AWAY from any sparks or flames.

The advantage of using non-inflamable solvents is you can use a heat gun on it.  The heat makes the oil "Boil" out of the wood, where it's held by the whiting.
You DON"T want to try that with inflamable solvents.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top