Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2002 3:54:52 AM EDT
Gents I have a preban M1A where can I get a folding stock for it?

Thanks

Max
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Anyone have an idea?

Max
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 9:38:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe McMillon makes one.. I'm sure it's not cheap though.. :)
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:31:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Try these guys.

http://www.reesesurplus.com/

I've never ordered from them so I can't say anything about their service, but they do have the product you are looking for.

Good luck and let everybody know how things turn out.
Larry
Link Posted: 8/28/2002 11:47:51 AM EDT
[#4]
The stock Reese has is for the Beretta BM59, not the M1A.  I don't know if it can be modified to fit the M1A or not.  I asked Choate some time ago if they had any more of the folding M1A stocks they made for Springfield some years ago.  I was told they made a limited run for Springfield where they simply attached one of their folders to a composite M1A stock, but did not have any more in stock and weren't really interested in making any more.  As far as I know, McMillan is not offering a folder either.

I think your best bet is to search the gun boards for someone who has a used one they want to get rid of, as no companies seem to be currently manufacturing them.

Link Posted: 8/28/2002 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out ]www.gunbroker.com] one was being offered a few weeks ago but I do not know if it sold....
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 5:55:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Anybody else have one for less than 800 bucks?

Checked gunbroker and gunsamerica and no luck.

max
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Try Fred's, he has wide variety of M14 stocks.

www.fredsm14stocks.com

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
If you are an LEO or can have an LEO friend order one for you Choate will make one of their discontinued folding stocks for the M1A, all they require is a copy of your LEO ID, give them a call.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Anybody else have one for less than 800 bucks?

They cost almost that much when Springfield was still making them, and that was many years ago.
Link Posted: 8/30/2002 11:24:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Howdy Maxwell,  I've got a SA M1A-A1 which is the bush rifle in a choate folder.  Have you ever shot the folder?  It is a complete POS!  Even with an 18" bbl the thing has no balance point.  If it does, it is somewhere around the piston nut. Add another 4" of bbl and you'll be shooting at your feet.  Then, the length of pull is about 14.5".  I'm 6' tall and of normal stature and this is too long for me.  Now, let's move on to the accentuated recoil thru your cheek bone.  You've heard how the M-14 is so smooth to shoot, low recoil, etc.  This stock erases any such notion.  
My advice is to save your pennies and by a cool laminated stock or glass stock and paint it camo.  Fred's can set you up.  Go whole hog and get the E-2 stock for a pistol grip. As typed above, if not an GI original, McMillan sells one that has an adjustable cheek piece.  

As for my gun, I put a fajen laminate on it.  Looks sweet and shoots the same.  The folder gathers dust until I decide to sell the rifle some day, not today, sorry.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:40:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm 6'4" 220.
I've fired a regular stocked full auto M14 with little trouble.
Years ago My friend had a folding stock like the one pictured above.
It sucked.
I thought it would be really cool, but it handled poorly.

These folding stocks are big bucks now, Choate or wood style.
He sold his for an insane amount of cash on the internet.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:33:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Howdy Maxwell, I've got a SA M1A-A1 which is the bush rifle in a choate folder. Have you ever shot the folder? It is a complete POS!

To each his own. I found it to be quite handy, no problem shooting it, better control in some modes of shooting, and it makes it easier to pack and carry in some cases.

But since you don't like yours, you should be willing to sell it to Maxwell cheap. That ought to solve two problems right there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Nope never tried shooting with the folding stock.  It's something that I want to try anyways.  

Tongo, nice rifle!!  Thats why I want one.  Sure the recoil sucks, but so does shooting a 12 gauge with 00 buck.

GoWYo

Do you want to part with your stock?

Max
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks,  I found the stock by advertising on one of the boards.  They are very expensive $400-$600.  I love the stock. Recoil is not an issue with me.  The stocks are out there just look.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Choate made the folding stock for the M1A1 bush rifle. Good luck in finding one. I have not seen one in ages.
Link Posted: 8/31/2002 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey guys, I guess I came across a little wimpy on that post.  No, really, I'm a he-man type.  Shoot 500 gr. 45-70's from my chin and like it.  Did anyone see the Wy/ Tenn. game?  Did the pokes win? BuWHAAHAHahahahahahah oh man, I kill me.  Thank you sir may I have another.  Ok, glad that moment has passed.  

I meant that the folder spoils what can be a very pleasant shooting rifle.  Thanks Derek, Maxwell, but I want to keep the stock as a sweetener if and when I sell the "entire" rifle.  This isn't going to happen very soon, however I have a medico amigo who likes it more than I.  You all take care this Labor day weekend.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top