Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/9/2002 11:47:07 PM EDT
I've got a rifle I want to get refinished with a camo finish. I don't want to spend $300+ to get an Urban Camo type finish, but I want something that looks reasonably nice on the full rifle (plastic stocks and all), along with 2 to 3 mags.

Thanks for any info.

AFARR
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 12:17:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2002 12:18:32 AM EDT by Noname]

Warning! If you own an M1A and start painting your own camo stocks it will become an addictive hobby.

How to do it.

Buy the cheapest USGI synthetic stocks you can get. I usually get them for $12.00 from Freds.

Fill in the selector cutout and and deep flaws with JB Weld.

Paint the entire stock, including the mag well and "inside" with a couple base coats of Krylon "military" paint. I use OD or Tan for the base coat.

Either free hand or with stencils apply your Camo pattern. I usually work lightest to darkest and use about 4 colors per pattern. I do better freehand than with stencils.

Apply 2 or 3 coats of a MATTE clearcoat to protect the pattern.

I recemtly completed a stock for my M1A scout in the USGI 3-Color Desert pattern.

As posted by AR15fan...

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=74&t=138205
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 1:57:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/10/2002 9:07:46 PM EDT
i have a friend who is an artistic type, he's painting a set of Cav Arms furniture for me. ive seen the handguard it looks real nice in MARPAT, he is doing his own tan Cav set in 3 color desert. when i get it back ill post pics. ive been trying to talk him into doing it for the board members for $75 but he is active duty mil and time is an issue. ill post pics when i get them.
Top Top