Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 8/5/2002 9:26:21 PM EDT
I want to change the A2 butt stock on my BM to A1 stock. Question I have is, will I have to change the plunger tube to A1 type too (is there such thing as A1 buffer tube) or is it simple as just changing the stock?
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:36:46 PM EDT
You will also need an A1 upper screw. It's shorter than the A2 screw. The buffer tube is the same for the standard A1 and standard A2. The A2 has a spacer on the end of the buffer tube to make up for the increase in length. Remove the spacer, slide on the A1 stock and screw in the A1 screw.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:45:50 PM EDT

The buffer tube is OK. However, you MUST use a shorter buttstock screw since the original will extend too far into the buffer tube and will be struck by the buffer. Either shorten your existing screw or get an A-1 screw.

No flame - you may already know this - but don’t let your take-down pin detent and spring wander off during the swap.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:47:16 PM EDT

Now, anybody know where I can get the A1 upper screw? I'm getting the stock but it doesn't come with the short screw
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2002 9:53:10 PM EDT by Sukebe]
I put together an A1 style with a Colt M16A1 upper and an RRA lower with used M16A1 furniture I got from Northridge. I shortened an A2 screw with my dremel. Cutting it down to about 1/2 inch of threads should be just about right. Otherwise I can't say where you can buy an A1 screw. Maybe at a gun show.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 9:58:11 PM EDT
Sukebe & 199:

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to go to next local gunshow for the screw (wow, its been about 3 or 4 years since I been to a gun show).
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 10:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/5/2002 10:45:07 PM EDT by Colt-653]
yobo--shoot me an e-mail, I have an extra A1 stock screw you can have.

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 8:51:09 AM EDT

You got mail
Top Top