Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2002 12:22:37 PM EDT
I have shot the Q3131a Fed AE 62gr .223 and I have also fired the wolf 62gr and I have used some of the Greek SS109 62gr and UMC 55gr on the same and on different days on 80 degree days and 90 degree days. From 0-200m my rifle, Colt SP1 20" 1/7 twist with a 9x Simmons scope, much rather prefers the UMC ammo. It fires it more reliably and much more accurately. On one day that Deadeye47 and I were out at the range I put 10 rds in a 1" x-ring with the UMC 55gr at 100m and was holding 2 and 3" groups at 200m with the UMC 55gr. The Greek SS109 did not feed well or shoot accurately in my rifle. The Wolf and Fed AE 62gr ammo both were doing about 3" groups at 100m with some flyers every 5 to 10 shots that would be more like 5 to 7" groups, out at 200m the groups were about 5 to 7" with the flyers every 5 to 10 rds being about 8 to 10". I hope to go out to the big range soon and try the Fed AE 62gr stuff at 300, 400, 600, 1000m because I feel that it will probably produce sub moa out at those distances, but for 200m and under I will stick with UMC 55gr. I have 2 good pics of two different 12" shoot n c targets my 13y/o son did last week with the Q3131a Fed AE 62gr at 200m and 77m. The x-ring is 3" and the whole black area is 12" and we zeroed it at 200m so the 77m shots are a bit high as we just pulled those off for fun at the end of the day and did not try to adjust the scope at all. Keep in mind this is my 13y/o who has only been shooting for a few months and only about 4 or 5 times at that but they are fairly impressive. The 200m has lots of pasters on it with them covering at least 1 round if not 2 in a lot of their cases. If someone who knows how to add pics to my post here please email me and I will email the pics to you so you can add them to this post. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Lotboy and I have found UMC .223 ammo to be underpowered.  It short strokes in full auto, and semi on two different rifles.  

I like to shoot it for practice however, because its easy on your weapon, and the brass makes for great reloading.  Since UMC is not that hot, the cases do not require trimming on the first go around plus they are annealed.

I like UMC, but its not very hot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top