Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2002 6:55:34 AM EDT
I put "range report" in quotes because this was very informal and brief.  I hadn't received the magazines or triggerguard yet from www.e-gunparts.com, so I was limited to single-round loading, which is a real pain in the a$$ with this rifle.  

Anyway, from a kneeling position at about 35 feet, using Ely Practice .22lr ammo, it shot a 5 shot, 5/8 inch group.  I think if I used some sandbags, this rifle could produce some very tight groups.  Not bad for a 50-year old gun!  

Of course, when I got back from Wisconsin, there was a UPS package in the door with the mags and trigger guard.  The mags are interesting - there's a removeable screw in the floorplate that, when in place, limits the mag to single-shot capacity.  When removed, it's a 7-shot mag.  I think this must have been a military requirement, since you can't load a single round by just putting it in the chamber and closing the bolt.  

For $75, this was a great bargain.  I spent another $94 on the mags and trigger guard, but now I've got a nice little tack driver.  Very fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
e-

Ain't they great??? I could kick myself for not getting another while CMP still had them.

I can get 3/8" groups (prone) when I do my part down to one ragged hole (off the sandbags) at 25 yards with the right ammo. Mine seems to like the Federal Gold Medal Target, and a few other 36 and 37 grain bullets.

For $75, they were the best deal in firearms.

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Wave,

The rear sights screw into the left side of the barrel right at the rear.  I suppose it would be possible to use those drilled & tapped holes to hold a mount, but it would probably have to be offset to the left to allow sufficient clearance for the bolt handle.  It probably wouldn't be that hard to do.

Of course, you gotta get your rifle first.  BTW, I'm in the same boat as you on my 1903.  I got an e-mail response from Customer Service today telling me that, even though I've received my M44, I haven't been assigned a 1903A3 serial number yet and I should "check back in a couple weeks".  
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 8:58:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe the pin in the magazine is for using 22 shorts.
Regards,
     Bo
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I believe the pin in the magazine is for using 22 shorts.
Regards,
     Bo

Ahhh...now that makes sense.  The .22 short round would be too short to hit the pin.  Cool.  I'll get some .22 CB shorts and shoot in the basement.  Thanks, Bo!
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#6]
STILL waiting on mine. (IT hhas been 4 mos!!!)

When I call, they tell me to be patient. They are backed up,.. etc.

What has happened is they have estimated how many rifles they have, and factored in how many purchase orders they have. They MIGHT find more and relist them!!!

I fired my father's and now I need one!!! Too bad they are so undermanned...

Keep checking their website...

www.odcmp.com

Link Posted: 7/30/2002 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
 For a scope mount for the M44, check out the Smallbore Forum at the CSP site (jouster.com), as those guys really know the M44 well.  One of the members there makes a scope mount, using a modified Weaver mount.  They also know where to get the best deal on the magazines and trigger guards.
 Single-loading the bolt-action Mossbergs isn't that hard.  Once you get the hang of where the chamber opening is, you can do it without looking.  I've been shooting my M42M as a single-shot for years (the ejector is worn).
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 6:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I just meant it's hard because you can't put the round in the chamber and close the bolt.  I was trying to wedge the round in under the extracor, which is a pain in the space you have available.  You can't load it 50-cal style by taking the bolt out and putting the round in, because the ejector gets in the way.  

It can be done, but it's no fun.  Now I'm going to check out www.jouster.com, and I'll be pissed if I find those mags cheaper than what I paid for them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top