Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2002 1:31:27 PM EDT
I asked the local gun store to find me one of the new Springfield Armory M-1 Garands. It's been two months and still no word on when I might be getting it. He says he's on a list for the rifle and it may take a while, but never said how long. I know on the SA website they say they're "Allocated"

I was wondering if anyone else is waiting like me? That and does anyone know how long I might be waiting?

Or should I give up and buy a M-1A?
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 1:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
The M14 is the M1 Garand improved.I believe the M1A to be a better all around weapon than the Garand.
Its not to say the Garand is bad,I really like the Garand and i plan on getting a few of them.
As i plan on getting a Scout M1A to go with my Standard.

You cant go wrong with the M1A/M14 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:06:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I do like the M14/M1A but what kills me about them is the price of a mag, esp. the high cap. ones. $85 is just a little too much for a 20rnd. mag.

That and I was looking for a 30.06 just cause I already reload it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#3]
My favorite shop has them in stock.  

Sportsmans Warehouse
Loveland CO
970-461-5000

Ask for Roger or John and tell them Scott Chapman told you to call.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Dont know where you have been getting your 20rd mags, that seems high. You can get them at www.coledistributing.com/ for $36.00 ea.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes Coles has them pretty good price if you buy ten.
I got 30 for $175 from a guy in fallbrook another Marine i dont know how he got them all,i wasnt gonna ask.I think i have plenty.
All were new never issued in wrap.
I plan on getting a Scout M1A i will buy six more 20's for an even count,im that way everything has to be even number or i dont feel right.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the Garand.  And get a CMP rifle.  Often you can find them for sale at gun shows or by private individuals and you don't have to go through the CMP red tape.  I bought 3 that way.

The Garand is also a better rifle than people give it credit for.  While no one questions its reliability, it can also be amazingly accurate.  With a bit of work a good one is capable of shooting sub MOA.  And I personally don't find it any heavier than a big-ass bolt gun with a bull barrel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#9]
..and you know that, that brand new receiver is cast don't you?

CMPs are forged.

Ya, ya, ya.  I have an M1A from SA built on a cast receiver too.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Castings of today are alot better,because the castings are spun to insure no air bubbles. Thats the debate with the Forged VS Cast is the imperfections in the metal,metullurgy has come a long long way.
Both M14 recievers and M1A recievers are the 8620 ordanance steel if heat treated right i dont think theres alot of diffrence anymore.
Springfield Armory backs their products.

I know someone is gonna Mention Crankshafts Rods and pistons here,so lets dispell this myth also,Forged rods,Cranks and Pistons are high compression race oriented parts kinda like a Machine Gun.
Well let me put it to you this way,the castings of today are probably as good as the forgings of 30 years ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top