Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2002 4:43:59 PM EDT
I've seen a couple of the Colt Match Target Tactical Elite rifles for sale lately and am trying to get more info on them. I know that only 1,000 were produced. Can anyone provide more info on them such as when they were made, specs, current price range? Thanks.
-NC_TarHeel
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 10:56:12 AM EDT
I have one in the 800# range that I bought used this spring. It was in excellent condition with about 400rds through it and I haven't shot it yet.

Many figures floating around about production numbers. I have heard that about 1000 were produced but prices were like $1800+ retail so not many were sold and Colt tore some down and sold uppers and lowers separate. The first 250 or so came with Eurolux scopes(like a Tasco)and Colt marked cases. I have also seen where some posted for sale state about 1200 were made. Have seen a couple of uppers listed for sale and also a person on gunbroker had a Tactical Elite lower listed with a DPMS upper with heavy ss barrel. So kinda believe the parts sales stories.

They had a heavy hammer forged barrel. I am assuming it is ss with some type of finish which matches the recievers. Used Hogue float tubes and gripes and have a JP trigger. The standard elite use a modified non adjustable trigger. Twist is 1x8.

Prices seem to range from about $1100 used to outrageous $1900.00 to $2100. new or like new. The guy I bought mine from stated he gave about $1150.00 in 98 new. Don't know the time frame of when they were produced. Should shoot mine but since PD hunting sucks now I don't know whether to keep it or sell it. The ones I have seen listed for sale for the $1100.00 starting bids had from 1500 to 2500 rds. down them so figure most descent ones are going to be $1400 on up. Hope this helps. Good day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 1:40:35 PM EDT
I just bought one in the mid 600 range a few weeks ago after searching for awhile. Mine was in like new condition with less than 300 rounds through it, and I paid $1550. Like you, I haven't found any hard info on them. I've been told they were originally made in the mid '90's, and marketed by Colt as factory 5.56 Police sniper rifles. Although I've heard of production numbers between 1000 and 1500, most folks say 1000, and I've never seen or heard of a serial number above 1000. Like SD, I've seen some Tac Elite uppers on different lowers. I don't think the barrel is ss, but I'm really not positive. Twist is 1/8. They do have a JP trigger, but Colt did not put the proper springs in, or go with the speed hammer. Colt also did a lousy job of adjusting the triggers. With a bit of help from John at JP, and $50 for springs/speed hammer I was able to make a massive improvement in the trigger pull on mine. If you can locate any hard info on production dates/quantities, or other details I'd be really interested. I've also been told that the Tac Elite's were discontinued due to "inconsistent accuracy", but both of the ones I've personally shot have been tack drivers (sub 1/3 MOA) with good ammo. I saw one on Gunbroker a few weeks ago that was NIB, but the guy wanted $2500 for it. If you're looking to buy one beware of the folks selling a Tac Elite upper on a mismatched lower. The receiver on a real Tac Elite is marked "Match Target Tactical Elite", and the proper serial number range is SR000XXX. If you can figure it out, I'd like to know what the "SR" stands for.
Top Top