Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/3/2002 9:00:40 AM EDT
I have a Heckler & Koch USP 45 Tactcal handgun on order. I recall reading that it has an adjustable trigger. What exactly is adjustable? Overtravel? Pull-weight? Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The only thing adjustable is the overtravel via an adjustable trigger stop - which, IMHO, is a bad thing to have on a "tactical" gun that is meant to see any sort of duty use.  

Rocko
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Overtravel.  If you look at the pic closely you can see a little mushroom thingy sticking out the back of the trigger.  A hex head tool that comes with the gun screws it in and out.  To adjust, unscrew the mushroom until it interferes with the frame before the hammer falls.  Then screw it back in a full turn and locktite the little bastid in place.  The overtravel adjust doesn't matter a whole lot on the trigger, but every bit helps.

Photo courtesy of www.hkpro.com

Another thing that helped my Tactical's trigger alot was that I disassembled the frame after the first thousand rounds and cleaned EVERY part.  After 1000 rounds things had gotten a bit gritty--when I reassembled the gun I was suprised how clean the trigger was--it breaks in wonderfully!  Drop me an email if you have any more questions.  GREAT GUN!
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Yea, that damn over-travel screw has given me headaches.

It NEVER STAYS!!
After 100 rounds or so it starts screwing itself back into the trigger.

I need to use some sort of light glue to hold it in place. But then I won't be able to adjust it or take it off.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info, guys. How is the pull-weight of the trigger? Anyone know the exactly what it is?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#5]
SA- 3 to 4

DA-6 to 8
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, what SHO45 said.  The double action is still heavy as hell, I hate DA triggers in general anyway.  The single action is where it's at, about 3-4 pounds and breaks CLEAN.  The double action is pretty clean too, but at 6 pounds I've pulled the gun off target by the time it breaks.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Branson, while you might not like DA pulls, there's a reason for them being so heavy.

For example, would I want my new .357 mag's DA pull to be as light as the SA while it's sitting at my hip?

No, I happen to like my legs and Sac.
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My H&K Tactical trigger breaks at 3.4 lbs.

Another H&K Tactical suggestion.
I replaced the factory (LPA) BLACK target sights with a set of LPA three dot sights (available from Advanced Armament). The new sights are identical to the original with the addition of the dots.
Target acquisition speed was dramitically improved.

I've had my Tactical for approx two years and still find the hight profile sights a bit awkward.
I don't use a silencer on the weapon, so I've even contemplated going with a set of lower profile sights. Has anyone experimented with any other sights?
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Branson, while you might not like DA pulls, there's a reason for them being so heavy.

For example, would I want my new .357 mag's DA pull to be as light as the SA while it's sitting at my hip?

No, I happen to like my legs and Sac.

Yeah, I use mine for IPSC competition and when in competition it goes cocked and locked in SA mode.  I've trained myself not to take the safety off until the gun is in both hands and pointed downrange, and I don't draw the gun nearly as fast as alot of other shooters.  

But for duty use, if I was a LEO or something?  Yeah I'd probably have it in DA with the safety off, but if I had even a little bit of time I'd try to pull the hammer back after drawing the gun.  All this is assuming that my police dept. hasn't mandated 12-pound double action only triggers in mortal fear of liability from trial lawyers.  

Speaking of which, everyone talks about single action being such a liability in court, but nobody has ever managed to give me a cite to a case where a negligent discharge was found and pinned on a single-action firearm.  Anyway, a negligent discharge accusation in court can easily be avoided by the practice of emptying the gun into the threat--ten shots in a row doesn't look like a negligent/accidental discharge, it looks like you were in fear for your life and pulled the trigger until the gun stopped going "bang".  And anyway, you can NEVER tell what 12 "peers" are going to decide.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread and start talking about legal stuff.  For IPSC/IDPA and home defense, the big Tac rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top