Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2002 4:58:57 AM EDT
I have the opportunity to buy a Bushmaster Dissipator A3 or a 16" Carbine A3, both NIB. I just can't choose! I like both rifles and they cost about the same ($10 difference). I have a 20" NM already and want a more "fun" gun... one to abuse a bit. Personally, I like the looks of the 16" a bit better, but the other looks cool too. Is one more rare than the other? Do they both function the same? Will I have much problems going between the site radius of the 16" to the 20"? Which one would you get? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:04:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you get an M4 profile Dissipator, the weight is considerably more than the carbine. If you're looking for your second AR to be more maneuverable than you're 20" pick the carbine.

If you like the long handguards and just want a shorter AR, get the dissipator. Just depends on what you're looking for.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
You're not going to be using irons (I assume) since you have an A3 upper.

As such the sight radius won't be a factor for you.

Go with the lighter 16" carbine and get a heavy barrel profile.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:21:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I own a 16" Dissipator, and while it is a great weapon, I just received a 16" M4A3 upper from Bushmaster today...feels MUCH lighter and handling characteristics are closer to the CAR 15 I used to own (sigh). I don't think I will be putting the Dissipator upper back on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:27:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:16:29 AM EDT
[#5]
1 vote for the Dissipator.

I like the fact that more of the bbl. is covered, which enhances its 'abusability', and, if you should choose to use the longer sight radius, it's there already.
 Versatility.
There probably are fewer Dissipators out there than carbines.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:26:54 AM EDT
[#6]
One more vote for the dissipator.
But I would get it flutted or turned down.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I own a Dissipator.  It is essentially the same weapon as the carbine with a long handguard and full A2 sight radius.  The Dissipator has an extra gas block which makes it heavier.  It is a sweet weapon.

If the choice is an A3 Dissipator or a carbine I would choose the carbine.  I chose the dissipator because of the sight radius.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 11:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a dissipator upper on my preban carbine.  The previous owner had the barrel turned down and threaded for flashhider by Kurts Kustom Firearms.  In its modified form I can't tell that it weighs anymore than a normal carbine.  Makes a nice little rifle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want less weight get the carbine. If you want a slighlty heavier gun, with perhaps more accuracy potentioal go for the dissipator
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I own a Dissipator, and have owned a carbine in the past. Personally I find the Dissipator to be more comfortable too shoot. Like previous threads you have to take into consideration sight radius and weight., but my vote is for the Dissipator.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 1:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for the Dissipator.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Dissipator with an A1 stock and triangular handgaurds on it. I like the way it looks. A flash hider would be the finishing touch.

It weighs more than a carbine, as has been noted. I'm not sure I like that part, although there are two sides to that coin. It stays on target better than a carbine, due to less muzzle flip. But it does not balance as nicely.

If I was ordering a Dissy from the factory, I would look at a lighter barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an A2 dissipator.  I figured the only reason that I needed that extra barrel on the end was to hang a bayonet on it.  Since I can't have the bayonet, I didn't need that extra barrel. I really liked the 16 inch barrel with a full sight radius and handguards.
Sight radius was important to me as well as being an A2 because I really like irons on my AR.

Just evaluate what you will be using it for.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 5:33:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I created a poll and then tried to edit it and accidently locked it. Can a moderator please unlock the poll or delete it so I can add another?
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:51:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:51:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:28:15 AM EDT
[#17]
For the most diversity in your collection, you would want the carbine. If you like the rifle configuration get the Dissipator. It's like a short rifle.

The dissipator is part rifle, part carbine. The length of the carbine, the configuration of the rifle. You already have a 20" rifle. So for the most diversity, get the carbine.

Choice #3. Get both then you'll have all three.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#18]
You don't have to ask me...

How come all these people who said they vote for the Diss. haven't voted in the poll???
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Tatjana is 100% correct. If you are going to ad an optic to the Dissiparor, the extra weight and long sight radius is about completely wasted.

Dissipator is a great design if you are an iron sight shooter. If iron sights are your primary sighting system, the added weight can be easily justifed with the longer sight radius. Longer sight radius translates into better potentail for accuracy.

If you are using an optic of any kind, the longer sight radius is wasted and the added wieght is not worth it. If you plan to use optics, skip the Dissipator and go carbine.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I have both and love both. I had an A2 Dissi that I sold not to long ago, kinda wish I still had it (AR addiction). My current one is a Flat top. My carbine is an A2. I have a flip up rear sight on the Dissi so I can have irons if I need, but can also have the ability to mount optics on it. My carbine is my CQB rifle and the Dissi is my Urban Combat Rifle. With the barrel being covered, I can get it hotter, say in a more prolonged shoot, and have less hot barrel exposed for skin to get burned on.
Here is my flat top dissi in action from here www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=126636

Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:56:00 AM EDT
[#21]
We'll I did it, made my decision... Bought the CARBINE! Looks great and feels great. One problem though. I went out to the range right away to shoot it (sight it in) and it seems I have to crank my windage knob all the way to the right to make it center. I suppose I'll have to send it in and wait another couple of weeks. THAT SUCKS!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 11:18:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Barrel needs to be reindexed. No biggie. My first Dissi needed it. Was gone all of 13 days from the day I sent it off until the day it came back. Congrats though. You'll love it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#23]
You could have put together something like this:

Oh, well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone offer a "pencil barreled" lightweight Dissy?
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:40:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Jarrod from BM suggested that I call and get an RMA to send it in. Called the number and guess who? Jarrod! Pretty cool! Anyway, they said that they were sending me a shipping label and I could send it back. Would have it back in a couple of weeks. I figure I've waited this long, I can wait a couple more. Although I'd much preferred that it was good out of the box. No big deal. Can't wait to get it back and shoot this thing!
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 5:08:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Well I've got a Dissi A2 upper with an A1 stock & I'm quite fond of it BUT I also like the light weight of my post-ban M4gery.

Since you already have a 20" AR rifle make the 16" a lighter carbine, M4 style.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Does anyone offer a "pencil barreled" lightweight Dissy?

I'd bet Bushmaster would make you one.
Ask in the Bushmaster section.
www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?id=28
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Have a Dissipator with an AK74 break on it . Flat top with removable carry handle. Bitching' weapon... looks cool too with the break. Haven't tried a scope on it yet as it's mounted on my 20" A2.
Link Posted: 7/7/2002 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Realize that if you get a muzzle break on it it will be extremely loud.

I would skip the muzzle break if I were you.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top