Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 3:32:14 PM EDT
can anyone recommend any good sources? websites, etc.  i want to spend between 300 and 500.
i want to get one but don't know jack, liked the ones i've shot and handled.
the only one i can buy right now is a century receivered one for 700.00 (way too much), i've got an FFL that will receive one for me if i can find one, also do i want metric or inch and why?
mucho thanks.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You want a metric FAL because the parts are more common and very low cost.

Here's how you get an FAL at the most rock bottom cost possible -

buy an FAL G1 kit from TAPCO that includes either 6 compliant parts ($170) or 8 compliant parts ($200), add an Imbel reciever from Federal Arms Company gunsnstuff.net ($189), and put a rifle together yourself (with help from the folks at www.falfiles.com .

That's $359 + transfer fee for the receiver, and taxes for a functional and legal FAL, but not including the tools you will need to fabricate to assemble the rifle.  See the gunsmithing forum at www.falfiles.com

Magazines are $5 to $8 each for metric FAL's!

You might be able to do the job cheaper by buying a $100 parts kit from TAPCO and scrounging parts even cheaper than they are putting in the kits, but it would take research and patience.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Check out www.FNFAL.com and you'll find a wealth of information there to draw upon.  Arizona Response Systems and DSA Arms make fine FNs.  Wouldn't sell mine for anything!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#3]
wow.
thanks, you guys rule.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#4]
quietshoez, this is an Isralie Light barrel FAL
you might like to look into, I think it is a beautiful rifle.

Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#5]
FNFAL.COM is the place to go , oh by the way a local store has a Century Arms receiver one for only $490 .
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 7:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I just bought a Century Arms L1A1 Sporter for less than $500. It has their receiver and it is an inch pattern. It is a shooter, worked perfect from the box and the trigger is pretty good as well.

Got mine at cabelas thursday, I wasn't planning on it but saw it and played with it and brought it home.

I can see why people like them so much.

And .308 to boot.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Be Wary of Century built rifles, they are a gamble, quality is all over the place. I think a lot of their "assemblers" applied for jobs because the local McDonalds wasn't hiring that day.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Be Wary of Century built rifles, they are a gamble, quality is all over the place. I think a lot of their "assemblers" applied for jobs because the local McDonalds wasn't hiring that day.

I have heard all the reports as well. But I can tell you they had 2 of them in stock and both looked pretty good. Plus Cabela's has a money back guarantee.

If he wants to spend the dollars that he is talking, it is less of a gamble than trying to put together a kit.

Maybe, just maybe Century has gotten their act together.

JMHO

dave
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:01:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a pretty good inexpensive FAL: www.falparts.com/firearms.asp

If you insist on an L1A1 variant I think you'll probably end up paying more because there are not as many around.  That's just a hunch, as I have not seen that many for sale.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Try www.gundealer.net  They are in MI and it should be fairly easy to pick one up there.  They have Century FALs on auction for 469 i think.

Or go to www.gunsamerica.com and do a search for l1a1 and yo will find many.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Try www.gundealer.net  They are in MI and it should be fairly easy to pick one up there.  They have Century FALs on auction for 469 i think.

Or go to www.gunsamerica.com and do a search for l1a1 and yo will find many.

thanks.
gundealer.net was in london, england. ?????
found some cool stuff on gunsamerica.
i think it would piss off my FFL if i ordered the exact thing he had on the shelf for less.
i'm gonna do it!!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Let us know what you get and what you think.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:40:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Shot my century l1a1 last friday.....2 20 rounders without a hitch......new bbl with nice rifling.....hit the 4inch round orange dot easily at 100 yrds......looked at the same gun at the expensive gun store....539 plus tax....from sog it`s 389 plus tax and shipping from my ffl buddy.......no complaints whatsoever...had the worry about the century workmanship......can`t see a problem here.....checked fal files too...there were no complaints there either......REALLY happy with this one............
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#15]
'shoez

The Grade I kit from Dan's Sporting Goods came today, a receiver was ordered Monday.  This rifle has been used very little, the internal parts show little wear.  Most of the internal wear probably occured from soldiers racking the bolt carrier.  It's a shame so many serviceable parts must be changed to satisfy the legal content.

I'll let you know how it shoots when I get it together - unfortunately, my source for FAL tools got activated for 90 days, so I have to either make some or find someone else to help me get the gun together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top