BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2002 12:08:00 AM EDT
I know it has accessories but this is way too much money!! check this out

www.forthehunt.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=4232063
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry if this is a dumb Q, but why did the guy selling the gun hide part of the serial number?  Is he afraid someoby will find out who he is based on the registered AR with that serial?  Is this common practice to hide the full serial?  Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 12:23:22 AM EDT
[#2]
it is common practice, i dont know why.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
The FFl by me just got in 2 Complete Pre ban lowers. One has a collapsible Stock. Mind you just lowers. He put a tag of $1,300 on one and $1,200 on the other. I think that's a little extreme. But if that is what a lower goes for this is a steal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sorry if this is a dumb Q, but why did the guy selling the gun hide part of the serial number?  Is he afraid someoby will find out who he is based on the registered AR with that serial?  Is this common practice to hide the full serial?  Thanks in advance

think of it as the same reason as a person blocks thier lisc plate number.

and 2300 for a colt, its like paying a thousand $ for the letters C O L T
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#6]
$2300 for a Colt Sporter seems a little high.  If it was a Government model without a block then maybe the price is not too bad.  I would expect the setup as shown to cost around 2K at a gunshow.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't find anything for a good price on these various auction sites. What is sad is that many items you could buy anywhere are sold on them for a much higher price than you could just go buy them for! I never understood that! An example would be a preban Triple K brand Mini 14 mag that you can buy in piles for $12 each. Yet some people will pay $25-$35 for one of these!

At any rate, if the only way to get a preban was to pay $2300 for one, I would never have one. I would never pay that much money for a flash suppressor and perhaps a bayonet lug. With gobs of new AR's floating around for $700 or less, I just couldn't justify spending so much to get those extra features. Now if I could find a pretty nice preban Colt for $1200 or less, I would buy it. They are out there, you just have to look for them. I missed a private deal on a preban Colt that a fellow sold for only $800 a few weeks ago! Talk about feeling bad! LOL.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 10:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
The seller has 1 feedback and it is an "F", the original buyer who backed out of the deal has a bunch of "F"'s too...I don't care how much that gun costs, I wouldn't buy it from the sketchy reputations of those involved.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
What is really amazing is that the winning bid in the previous auction where the buyer backed out was $2000.  Now it is $2275.  Last week I saw an auction for a Russian SKS that turned into a pissing match between two guys.  It sold for $1300+.  The eBay people are now hitting the gun auctions.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#10]
imo, that IS too much money. a good deal is always waiting (at it has been for me) right here in the equipment exchange forums.

what kills me is that someone with a like new in box pre-ban wants an arm, leg and left testicle for it. i agree with Charging_Handle below, who wants to give that for a few pre ban features? i don't.

i was really hoping to see the price drop on pre bans soon, but they will probably be like machine guns and just go up and up. (we all know that is dependant upon a new assault weapons ban in '04)

anyway, just my opinion.
check out the EE forums for a deal, brother.
happy shooting.
colt

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 4:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
did you all see the post i put up about my NIB preban ??

say what you want about prices of prebans, especially Colts, but as Colt says, the price on NIB pre-bans will continue to climb & become the next "machine gun"

i got my Colt Carbine for $2,800, & i belive it is one fantastic deal, Colt will NEVER make another, & when the AW ban sunsets you can bet there will be somthyng to take it's place...,

in fact i had an Email in my box this morning offering me $4,000 for the rifle after i take possession, now why do you suppose that happened ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Cactus Jack-

Why do I suppose it happened?

Brain Damage would be the obvious diagnosis...

NO AR-type semi-auto rifle is worth $4000. Period.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#13]
sgtstinger

A gun is "worth" $4000 if someone is willing to pay $4000 for it.  Looks like Cactus Jack had the buyer.

You are not buying the utility of the gun, you are buying the perceived collectors value.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:19:48 AM EDT
[#14]
sgtstinger,

i suppose you will also say there is no silver dollar coin worth $50,000 either will you ??

Flash66 is absolutely correct ! when it comes to collector value there is no limit..... why do you suppose there are Winchesters & Colts selling for hundreds of thousands of dollars, did you read the note Stokes wrote about ONLY 300 out of the 1,600+ made of the Carbines lyke i got are in the civilian market ? & to get a brand new rifle today that was made in 1986 (?) i personally consider it to be lyke biggame said, "...it's the HOLY GRAIL" of all guns as far as i am concerned..., besides i am tired of collecting coins, all ya can do wyth'm is look at'm, my new AR-15 Carbine will get worn out simply taking it out & in the gun safe.......

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 10:48:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I was willing to put out $3K for my NIB, Colt GC carbine. Would I have wanted to get it for less? Absolutely! However, the prospects of acquiring this class of carbine decreases as more are taken from circulation by others who share this taste in firearm toys. Facing these issues, I was willing to submit to the sellers price. I perceive it as one of the necessary evils of acquisition. Others may see it as a waste of $$$.

But then, I'm not buying it for another. I'm buying it for myself.
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
CJ,

Are you looking to adopt?

MWM.... looking for a father figure..this could be YOU!!!  

DAD????

Biggame223

Looking for dad in Az

Out

Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:18:40 AM EDT
[#17]
It sold for $2525!!! damn, maybe I should sell my preban!
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 3:46:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Master_Blaster,

what model did you get for your $3,000.....?

i just found a 6520 green label w/raised fence, w/ 1 waffle mag., Colt optics plus a bunch of other goodies
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Master_Blaster,

what model did you get for your $3,000.....?

i just found a 6520 green label w/raised fence, w/ 1 waffle mag., Colt optics plus a bunch of other goodies

Mine's a 6520, #GC015543. M4 bbl. w/ 1:9 twist, moly resin finish, NIB, has all the features - fenced, FA, dual take-down pins. It is literally NIB, & comes w/ the cleaning kit, manual, etc.

I hope to get just one more.

For now.
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/30/2002 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
NIB with a M4 barrel?  What is the date on the barrel?

Don't see a date, just "5.56 NATO 1:9".
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 4:56:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Stokes,

where do you find the date on a barrel ??

M_B,

a GC wyth "#GC015543" S/N, does it have that evil bayo lug ? does it read, "Gov't Carbine" on the left side ? thats interesting because all the really evil 6520s have a GC 001xxx S/N there were only 1616 made, i got one, S/N GC 0014xx.....

some how i wud lyke to assemble a S/N vs model # & actuall factory configuration.., the reason is that some folks have changed the factory configuration & are selling bastardized Colt AR-15s on auction sites.....

but !!! there are some damn nice NIBys out there too........
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:31:02 AM EDT
[#23]
M4 barrels will typicly have the date stamp located right behind the handgaurd cap a tad bit behind the HG cap on the left side of the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 7:51:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 12:46:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Stokes,

When were the CC's made?  (before the GC's or at the same time?)

Where did the other CC's go?  Export, LE sales?

Is this the Preban rifle that says something like "For Export" or some such phrase?

Thanks

Biggame223

Confirmed Coltaholic in Az

Out
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 2:04:25 PM EDT
[#26]
biggame,

the one i have coming in tomrow is one of the "left behind exports" as i was told, & there are several other oddities out there that i want to look for.....

BTW,
that guy that sold the NIB, 6520 raised fence MIGHT still have it, his other buyer hasn't come thru yet, so i told him i got the fast cash...!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Like JohnM said, it's usually right behind the front handguard cup.  You'll have to take the handguards off to see it.  Most I've seen are stamped right on top.
With the MolyResin finish, I'm guessing that the gun is not original, and definately not NIB.  Nonetheless, it's still one badass gun, and I'd be more than happy to have it in my stable.

Well, it appears new - can't see any wear marks in the mag well. Upper is new. As for the moly resin, it'll be replaced w/ the forthcoming Birdsong Ceramic Black-T.
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Master-Blaster,

Sounds like a sweet rifle,  and it is very likely that the parts themselves are new,  but I think Stokes was just saying that the rifle was not shipped that way so it cannot be NIB.

Someone probably switched the upper receiver assembly or rebarreled the upper w/ MY style if it is not a flattop.

My M4 barrel on my Gov't CAR is dated 6/99.

Enjoy that rifle

Biggame223

Out
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#29]
i just checked the date code on my M4, it is 2-00......, then near the rear of the barrel on the thick part is another "0" or "O"

when looking at the "M4" stamping on your M4, is it well defined or barely visable ? mine is so faint that i need a magnifying glass & my mini-mag lite to see it......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top