Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2002 3:29:30 PM EDT
I want a Colt SAA, but don't want to pay Colt SAA prices. Have seen some copies but wary of quality. Definately do not want a Colt Cowboy, Ruger Vaquero or anything with a transfer bar. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Hellraiser...

Call Bob Munden up in Montana and ask him.  He'll tell you to spend the money and get a Ruger Vaqeuro for strength, or a Colt SAA for resale value.

If you don't know who Bob is...he is the fastest gun who ever lived.  Literally he can draw his Colt and fire it in .06 seconds...the human eye blinks at .15.  Anyway, he is the foremost expert on single-action revolver gunsmithing (master gunsmith himself).  

Of course, to buy a gun from him will cost you about $1500 for a Vaquero and $2000 for a Colt.  But, he is VERY polite to speak with, and knows both the Ruger and Colt probably better than any man alive.

EDITED TO SAY...Bob will probably tell you not to waste your money on any other pistol other than these two (if that wasn't clear) if you're looking for a single-action cowboy revolver.  And he doesn't like the "Cowboy" from Colt either.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#2]
There used to be a company up in Fredericksburg- Cimmaron Arms, I think they handled a high quality import brand called Ubertti (sp?)
Do an internet search for 'cowboy shooting'
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I want a Colt SAA, but don't want to pay Colt SAA prices. Have seen some copies but wary of quality. Definately do not want a Colt Cowboy, Ruger Vaquero or anything with a transfer bar. Any suggestions?

Get the Cowboy, it is safer and it is a COLT.  I have one and it is kick ass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Here ya go:
http://www.usfirearms.com/home2.htm

Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Uberti makes some decent SAA clones.  Cimmaron sells a fine version at the lower end of the price scale, plan on spending a little money to have the internal parts cleaned up. Mine always got lots of comments from other shooters.

US Firearms makes an expensively finished version of this gun, but a LOT cheaper than a real Colt. Friends that have them REALLY like them.

Alternatively, look for an Old Model Blackhawk, making sure that (a) it has not  been "converted", or (b) that the original parts are available.  These can still be had at decent prices, but the pre-conversion parts are getting harder to find. Some shooters think these are the finest single action "packin' pistol" ever; coil springs, high quality steel, but as small as the Colt.

A third choice: look for older single actions, such as the Virginia Dragoon, or JP Sauer and Sons-made Hawes Western Marshall. My 6" .357 Hawes is as big as a Ruger Blackhawk or Vaquero, but uses a Colt SAA, sized grip frame.

Finally, consider the Colt New Frontier.  These are significantly cheaper than the SAA model, but are gaining value, and, naturally, are genuine Colts, but with adjustable sights.  These are nothing like the Colt Cowboy, I might add. Pretty guns, accurate, no filing on the sights, and worth more when you sell it, if you've taken care of it.  Mine is an early 3rd Gen NF, 7.5" .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#6]
There's also the EAA Bounty Hunter.  I've heard/read good things about them.  
www.eaacorp.com/firearms/revolvers/index.html

If you have an SASS or Cowboy Action club nearby I bet they can give you some advice.  Surely somebody in the club has tried the various copies.  

As long as you want a .45LC and fixed sights you've got some choices.  If you want other calibers and/or adjustable sights you're pretty limited.  BTW, anybody know of a SA .357 with adj. sights besides the BlackHawk?
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Hellraiser.......If you want to get your feet wet with a Colt copy. Buy a Millenium SAA from Cabela's.......Its made by Uberti and although it has a Matte finish it handles and shoots well.......I have one and have been very satisfied with it....It is the same gun as their higher priced model......IF you get an Italian Colt Copy........Dont mess with the front sight until you put several hundred rounds thru it.......I started bending on mine when I first fired it and after a while I had to bend it back to the original position........Straight up......The Cabela's Millenium SAA will let you get it out of your system....OR cause you another gun buying craze  buying and shooting SA 45's...........Bob
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy an Uberti, all Dakotas, EMF, cimmarrons, are all Ubertis. To buy american, go Colt or American Western Arms.
GG
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:35:03 AM EDT
[#10]
There's a good forum at
www.sassnet.com/
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Need I say more, plus I can load the .45 long colt Ruger Vaquero to the level were it is performing equal with the 44. mag.

Dave Dee
NRA/ILA and NAHC Member
AR15.COM Moderator of Reloading, General Firearm Discussion & Hunting Forum.
A great place to get answers to your reloading & hunting questions.
Or come and take a look at my web page at.
members.aol.com/dbrewer842/dbrewer842.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top