Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Posted: 6/19/2002 6:37:15 PM EDT
Does the Bushmaster M4 post ban clone have the rubber spacer in the extractor?
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:07:40 PM EDT
As far as I know,all Ar15s and their clones have a rubber like (it's actually plastic) insert inside the extractor spring, and if that's what you're referring to, the answer is yes.

The more important question might be, what color is it. The original inserts were white, but sometime during the Vietnam era , a stiffer compound was come up with, to reduce ejection problems, and it was given a blue color to distinguish it from the earlier type. More recently, as a response to ejection problems with the shorter barrelled M4 types, an even stiffer, black colored compound was put into use; combined with a stiffer extractor spring.

Since I've not pulled a recent Bushie bolt head apart, I can't tell you what they are currently using on their M4 clones, but if it doesn't come with a black insert, I guess it'd be a good idea to put one in. I've been building a Rock River M4gery, and in limited test firing, using the stiffer spring with a blue insert, I have had zero problems. Nevertheless, I'll probably go with black inserts if I can find them at a gun show, or piggyback a mail order with some other stuff I might need from a mail order house.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 8:13:14 PM EDT
Bushmaster still uses the blue insert. I have heard about the black inserts. But I never seen them. A friend of mines had couple of the new heavy duty AR extractor springs without the insert. Picked up one for my M4 rifle. So far, no problems with it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 2:13:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2002 2:18:16 PM EDT by 777]
BM definately uses the blue insert. I participated in a thread about this recently & have not been able to find the black insert at anywhere but www.sawlesales.com
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 4:18:19 PM EDT
Colt uses the black ones
Link Posted: 6/21/2002 9:43:24 PM EDT
Thought I remembered a reference to sawlesales, from a previous discussion. Checked again, and yup; they still want a $50 minimum order. That's an awful lot of extractor inserts. If they're the only source, guess I'll just have to "keep singing the 'blues'"
Top Top