Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2002 1:02:09 PM EDT
I have a friend wanting to purchase their first AR. Quite possibly, it would be a AR-10 Carbine in .243.

The friend is left handed and has only a day's experience with AR15 and M16. All the pointers I offered resulted in hot brass landing somewhere on a bare right arm.

What do you lefties do?
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#1]
From the suject line I thought this was going to be a political rant.

Quoted:
I have a friend wanting to purchase their first AR. Quite possibly, it would be a AR-10 Carbine in .243.

The friend is left handed and has only a day's experience with AR15 and M16. All the pointers I offered resulted in hot brass landing somewhere on a bare arm.

What do you lefties do?

Being a righty, I really don't have an experianced answer, however, when I was in the military I remember that for the guys that were left-handed they had a separately attached brass deflector that clipped over the ejection port. Not sure if they worked any better than the current "built in" deflectors.

If anything else, you could attach one of those cumbersome/ridicolus looking bag devices.

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm puzzled, does the AR that he is shooting have a brass deflector? I have never had a problem shooting left-handed.

GIB
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]

What do you lefties do?

What? Do you think we're handicapped? That knot just aft of the ejection port, called the brass deflector, takes care of things. I haven't shot an AR-10, but at the last public range I attended, there was a group of people just down from where my brother and I were shooting who had two AR-10s (one in .308 and the other a former .243 rebarreled to 6mm International). There was one left-hander in the bunch and he had no trouble with either of the AR-10s.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What? Do you think we're handicapped?

Nope, I was aware that most left handers shot the AR with no modification to the rifle. I was looking for pointers into stance or right arm placement. Especially for the M16 since a person's foregrip arm tends to be be held higher and more off the side of the rifle to control full-auto bursts.

I'm puzzled, does the AR that he is shooting have a brass deflector? I have never had a problem shooting left-handed.
GIB

She. I think that her short arms are adding to the problem. Im gonna let her try my AR with a newly installed shorty stock on it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All the pointers I offered resulted in hot brass landing somewhere on a bare right arm.

What do you lefties do?

Tell him that the forward arm belongs under the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:06:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Medcop are you out there?  He shoots lefty.

I know someone sells a brass deflector that you can attach to any upper, that looks like the ones installed on 9mm carbine uppers, like this one:

If nothing else, that ought to keep the brass away!
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I am left handed but shoot right handed.

Because I like to keep up with my brass (i'm kinda particular, especially with LC brass) I use a brass catcher.

The brass catcher doesn't get in the way unless I need to see the chamber.

Here are pics of it:

These are available through many places. I got mine from Bushmaster.

They are available for a variety of guns including the AK and the M1A/M14.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 3:18:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a lefty and don't have any problems with AR's as long as they have the standard brass deflector. I did get an older SP1 carbine upper without one though and firing it got a little annoying with the brass bouncing off my right cheek just below my sunglasses every round. That's now my wife's designated upper. As far as my right arm, its underneath the rifle to support it so I've never had a problem there. Maybe if I was shooting off a bench it could be off to the side enough but I think my AR's throw the brass far enough out that I still think I'd be OK.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Lefty:  No problem with any guns I've shot so far.  AR's, M14's, M16's, Fal's, AK's, Shotguns, Uzi's, MP5's, Various HK's, Garand's, ...etc.  

Only one gun gave me a shy experience.  Barrett 82 firing it lefty.  Wham, gas exhaust from the bolt slammed into my nose.  I shot that only once. heh.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a lefty no problem with my AR-15s.  The only problem I have had is with the military brass deflector that attaches to the carry handle. It bounced the brass down my sleeve.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Get an A2 brass deflector.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 6:49:51 PM EDT
[#12]
I am left handed and the brass deflector has always done its job. Even when shooting full auto I have no problem.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a lefty and I've never had a problem with brass (or in my case steel since half of it was Wolf) hitting me.  Then again I've only put 150 rounds through my AR so far, but with that deflector I don't think it would ever be a problem.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 2:14:39 AM EDT
[#14]
FWIW, DPMS sells left handed Ar-15s, complete rifles and uppers.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:25:50 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a lefty and I've never had that problem with any AR-15s, including an SP-1. I have never shot an M-16, and it sounds like that may be the cause of her dilemma.

She just needs to tuck that right wing down out of the way.

The AR-10 is even less likely to cause this problem. The brass ejects at two o'clock.

My unsolicited opinion of those left ejecting ARs is that they area bad idea. Just like switching the safety on a shotgun to "lefty friendly" is a bad idea. I don't want to have to learn a new protocol every time I shoot a buddy's weapon, and vice versa.

The only rifles I have seen that I do not consider "lefty friendly" are bullpups.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Get that right (and left) elbow down where it belongs!

Good full-auto (sub-gun, CQB, etc.) stance is almost square to the target, butt a little more toward centerline, both elbows down (don't want to get them shot off!). Even with a more traditional bladed stance, keep that support side elbow down. Keep the nose almost on the charging handle.

Check/replace your extractor spring.

I'm a lefty, shoot nose to charging handle, never have a problem, even with a collapsible stock in the collapsed position.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 3:39:54 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm also a lefty, and have never had a problem w/the AR in any configuration.  Even my SP1 doesn't throw the brass anywhere that would bother me.  You do have to keep the right arm under the forend, but that's the proper way to shoot anyway
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Lefty also, no problem with AR10's or AR15's. Keep that right arm tucked under.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Another lefty here.  I get brass marks on my right shoulder occasionally (it sticks out there a ways).  
No problems with any gas operated gun. yet.
Link Posted: 6/20/2002 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
If she thinks it's really going to be a problem, tell her to buy or have a AR built with a DPMS left hand upper like this one.

www.ar15.com/members/albums/SchlaffTablett%2Frfa2%2Dsp%5Faa%2Ejpg
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:02:13 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The friend is left handed and has only a day's experience with AR15 and M16. All the pointers I offered resulted in hot brass landing somewhere on a bare right arm.

What do you lefties do?

Wear a long-sleeved shirt?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top