Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/17/2002 7:10:00 AM EDT
Well, my M1 is needing a new barrel, or at least one in better condition than the one I've got on it now. I plan on getting the barrel, then sending my barreled receiver to Orion 7 to be mounted, indexed and headspaced correctly.

I'm STILL waiting for match paperwork so I can qualify for the CMP. Yes, you DO have to be qualified even to order just PARTS. BUMMER. They have SA 'match' rifles for $100. That price is RIGHT.

I need to know if there's anywhere else I can look for a decent (read, not a Kreiger, or other $500 bbl) bbl for around that price. I could go up to about $150. Don't mind if it's used, as long as the bore, crown/muzzle and throat are in decent condition. Any suggestions?

Oh, and I want to keep it in .30-06 to be JCG match legal. I'll get another M1 and rebarrel to 7.62 sometime in the future.
TIA
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:44:58 AM EDT
Have you checked "Fulton Armoury" under Information/Links?

Mike
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 8:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2002 9:15:40 AM EDT by M1QJ]
Fulton has a "Barrel, Very good, from Danish G.I. Garands, Cal..30-'06" for $104... but it doesn't say if it's VAR or Berda or Beretta... I'll whip them an email real quick.

Edited to say:
Just emailed Fulton Armory and got a reply within 10 minutes! The reply was that most of them are VAR, but some are other. The 'select' ones are more frequently VAR than the regular grade ones. I think I found my source... unless anyone has any other/better suggestions!

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 9:47:31 AM EDT
Unless you must have U.S.G.I, you can't go wrong with a Danish VAR barrel. I had one on a mixmaster M-1 and it was an excellent shooter. Just the ticket for a JCG match.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 10:03:50 AM EDT
Usually outfits like Orion and Fulton will charge MORE to install the barrel you provide than if you bought the barrel from them and had it installed , So check out thier prices first. Also to be JCG match legal the barrel must be 30:06 and GI contour, no med or heavy match barrels.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:56:25 AM EDT
I went ahead and ordered the Danish 'select' grade bbl. Only $112 shipped. Per Walt at Fulton, they're usually VAR. Perfectly fine for JCG. I'll definitely report here when I get it.

Mine is what would be considered now a SA 'rack grade' Mostly SA parts that are not quite 'correct', an SA bbl that is about 8 months older than the receiver. The only non SA part is the IHC op rod.

:)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:15:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tangeant:
Usually outfits like Orion and Fulton will charge MORE to install the barrel you provide than if you bought the barrel from them and had it installed , So check out thier prices first. Also to be JCG match legal the barrel must be 30:06 and GI contour, no med or heavy match barrels.

Orion 7 is $49 if you provide the barreled receiver and new bbl. Probably plus shipping, but that won't cost much. :)
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:25:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/17/2002 1:18:26 PM EDT by texashark]
FWIW, Glenn Nelson is a gunsmith in Georgia that puts barrels on M1's and M1a's For around $200. This price was for a new Douglas heavy barrel. He's done 3 m1a's for me. Each one would shoot extremely well. I don't know about the current price, but you will be satisfied with his work.
Top Top