Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 3:56:14 PM EDT
Gents,

I was cruising around the local gunshops again.  I have promised myself until I get my debt down, no more guns.   Well, I almost had a moment of weakness.  Checked out some 1911's and CETMEs.  Thank goodness I didn't.  I need to get my debt down.

Maybe I'll finish the other AR lower I have....  It does need the parts kit installed.   Hmmmmmmm

Anybody else here on the same boat?

Max
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Yea. But temptation is much easier to resist when you don't go into the candy store.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I tried to lay off.  I promised myself(and my wife) that I wouldn't buy any more firearms for awhile, and decided that I would work on fixing up my car instead.

My shooting partner, who is going into convulsions caused by seeing me spend money on something I can't shoot, calmly reminded me that I could have bought a DIAS for what I just spent on car parts.

And they say that firearms are an expensive hobbie.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm getting married next year and have to pay for the whole wedding, so no trips to the candy store for me.  
It's a hard habit to brake.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:31:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have solved my problem by simple redirection, I find great deals and call my friends for them to buy what I have found. On Friday night I found on the EE, a Glock 30 .45 fired 100 times, 10 ten round mags with Pearce finger extentions all shipped for $465!!! The damn mags alone are worth about $250!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Max:

Actually what you did is sort of good.  If you look temptation in the eye and are able to walk out without, it becomes easier once it is done a couple times and you realize that you are back in control.

Some time ago (20-25 years) when I layed off buying and was saving for a big purchase I did the same thing, window-shop and walk, and it was a very empowering feeling.  Nowadays it is not the money that's the problem but time.  I could visit a gunshow almost every weekend if I drove three hours or less.  For a while there I was doing just that, burning 10 hours almost every Saturday and neglecting "home" stuff.  So I blew off some big semi-local shows, a few weekends straight, and then only went to closer ones every 6 to 8 weeks.  On the Saturdays of those ones ones I missed, I just lay in bed a couple minutes before getting up and took a "virtual" walk around the hall in my mind, picturing familiar dealers and wares, even checked imaginary price tags, then got up and went about that day's business, no remorse, and feeling in control.  It is all about balance.  

Congratulations on staying on the rails!  And if you have the parts kit, do build the lower; it would be even better therapy.

Noah
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:24:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Sadly, I'm currently out of control.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You guys are bad influence. (not to mention the fact that I used to only keep a few hundred rounds aroung the house, not thousands and thousands)

I'm hip to that!
AB
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My name is Ben and I am an addict...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#10]
To rpd_fire, it is customary for the bride to pay for the wedding.  Seriously, do not go in debt to get married.  It only causes fights over money later.  By the way, I have been helped by AAA (Automatic Arms Anonymous).
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Gents,

I was cruising around the local gunshops again.  

I do this too when Im not serious about my problem.

One more gun and I'll have to buy another safe.

My wife sure does think she has the freedom to ask
for something when I buy something.
Reminds me of me when I was a kid and had to make
sure I got my fare share of the candy.
Things will never change.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I have the solution.  Buy everything immediately.  That way when you *have everything,* temptation will not strike so easily.  Then pay down the debt.

M1A?  Got it.

AR15?  Got several.

1911?  One for each hand.  And foot.

Glock?  Sure, in three different calibers.

Just call me The Wizard of Financial Responsibility.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a problem called a C&R license.  I can get Moisin-Nagant M44s for $70 all day, I bought an unissued M48 mauser for $110 (handpick), and the armor-piercing CZ52 was only $120.  Next comes a Colt 1911 for $300 (Argentine Systema--its a real Colt, look at the price!)

I see guys on www.hkpro.com buying HK91 scope mounts for $250 and I think, I could have 3 historical rifles in 3 different calibers for the price of their friggin' scope mount!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:27:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Oh god, its horrible, I owe almost 4 grand on my credit card, all gun purchases, but i still go in every gun shop I pass by. I need to sell one of my post bans to finance the preban I just charged on my CC. Id list it here but I need too much money for it so ill just list it locally.  and Im still on gunbroker and auctionarms every night looking at guns, I think I am obsessed, I need help
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#15]
My safe is absolutely stuffed so I will use that as my rationale for not buying anymore guns.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 12:58:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah I thought about moving to Virginia but they have that 1 gun a month law.  I can't afford to buy a gun every month!
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:42:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I thought I was the only one out there with this problem. I just got ot of a small debt, and after finally achieving some small level of fiscal soverignty, I will be going to the local gunshow this weekend with $700 cash in my pocket.

Hi, my name is Snake, and I'm a gunoholic.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My shooting partner, who is going into convulsions caused by seeing me spend money on something I can't shoot,

you could always shoot the car...?
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#19]
i got a new job in feb so that means more $, problem is this guy i work with has tables at gun shows and somehow always falls into awesome deals...apparently he knows i'm addicted and has been trying to sell me stuff everytime i talk to him.  he even said something about a "payment plan".  damn.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#20]
It's a horrible addiction! Just this year, I'm planning on a CMP Garand, maybe a CMP 1903A3, a competition upper, a Vector Uzi, and another AK.
I might not get every one of them, but if I don't, it means I still have only one AK!
This doesn't include the possibility of a spontanious purchase here and there. Anybody need any old Mopar muscle car parts?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top