Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 8:08:48 AM EDT
What's the difference between these two rifles?  What are your experiences?  I'm shopping around for a new toy.  Thanks!!

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/700sendsf.htm

Ben
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:43:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot both calibres but not in a sendero.  All I got to say is you better have a strong shoulder and would definately recommend a muzzle break.  I would prefer the .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. because it is considerable faster and has a lot more retained energy.  But if you are going to do much reloading, I don't know how plentiful .300 Rem. Ultra Mag. brass is.  Hope I could help.

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 8:43:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I have fired both rounds form sendero rifles. Recoil is not as Bad as everyone claims, Not bad at all. The weight of these rifles seems to arrest most recoil. My ruger all weather rifle will bruise you after one shot. 300 win mag shells are cheaper if you have to buy shells. If you reload, shouldn't be that much of a difference after you get the brass purchased.

I shoot 300 win mag extensively. Wouldn't trade it for any new type caliber. Has always done the job for me. Seems like someone is always coming out with a new Cure-All caliber.

I would recommend shooting both if you can. Then make your mind up. I would only consider a muzzle break if you are sensitive to recoil. I would compare them both to that of a 12 gague with dove/game loads.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
BigBen,
With a name like that you should have no problem shooting the .300 Rem Ultra Mag.
That is what I have in a 700 LSS.
If you were going with the 300 Win Mag then I would suggest going with the 300 WSM and then you get it in a 308 length action.

Let us know what you decide to go with!
What part of our great state do you live in?
I live in Lufkin over in East Texas.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, this purchase of course will require the wife's approval, so may take quite a long time.

Dozer, I'm down in Galveston area.  Grew up in NE Texas (Longview/Tyler area).  Take it easy.  Thanks,

Ben
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:18:04 AM EDT
[#7]
if you are going with 300 RUM be prepared to PAY! Only get it if you have a large bank account cause the ammo is going to cost you a fortune! I have a friend who have a remington 700 police in 300 RUM and he said ammo START at 40 dollars a box, hell I have seen 50's that were cheaper to shoot! Thats like over 2 dollars a shot, and 50's averages around 1-2 dollars per shot... in most case 1.50 a shot. I'd say a 50 is a better bang for the buck...
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The .300 Win Mag is plenty powerful for any North American game (if you intend to use this new gun for hunting).  .300 RUM is a little overkill for anything short of Alaskan Moose, IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:03:42 AM EDT
[#9]
This whole ultra mag thing is nothing but a scam by the firearms manufacturers to get people to buy stuff they don't need but think they have to have.  And the gun mag writers are all in on the scam with them.

How many 800 yard shots at a moose does one normally take in a hunting trip?

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think that some of the people giving you advice on the need to shoot a moose at 800 yards are thinking the whole thing through. Sure, it may be more than you need, but as  hunters we owe it to the animal to dispatch as quickly and humanely as possible. So a rifle that shoots flatter and faster and thusly is more accurate ( provided you do your part ) only makes sense. For the flattest shooting factory rifle however, step up to the 7mm R.U.M.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the great discussion, everyone.  Advice is well taken.

Ben
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:31:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Unless your Marksmanship is 10/10ths, use the ammo savings (at least half) to practice more. Readily available ammo is also a plus of 300WinMag. Shoot well.Shoot often. Dave
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This whole ultra mag thing is nothing but a scam by the firearms manufacturers to get people to buy stuff they don't need but think they have to have.  And the gun mag writers are all in on the scam with them.

How many 800 yard shots at a moose does one normally take in a hunting trip?

I agree with this statement 100%  

Can anyone explain what the advantage of the NEW AND IMPROVED 300WSM has over any other 30 caliber magnum? Without reading it from a magazine article? The only use I see for it is if you own a long action caliber gun (30-06) and you want to rebarrel it to a "Magnum" Caliber without buying a new receiver. And this may not even be possible.

If you can't handle the RECOIL, then Shoot a smaller gun.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Winchester Laredo .300 WinMag  & recoil isn't that bad.  
It's very similiar too a Sendero (H.S. stock & heavy barrel) but I do have the BOSS on there.  It's loud but tames the recoil!
 I've shot some really nice sub MOA groups with 190gr FED Gold Medal ammo.
The .300 WinMag has been around for a long time & lots of factroy ammo as well as reloading info. out there.  
A very "developed" cartridge.

The .300 RUM may be a better design but it is the new kid on the block.
I like the RUM cartridges.  I think I'm going to eventually get a Sendero in .338 RUM but as others have said the brass is kind of pricey right now for the new RUM cartridges.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top