Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2002 6:22:08 PM EDT
Checkmate told me it would cost $125.00 to hard anodize my pre-ban lower (JUST the lower).

Is this just tad too high or an I out of touch.

I can get the whole rifle Armor-tuff'd at Wilson's for $205.00.
Link Posted: 6/10/2002 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Hard anodizing is the only treatment that I know of that actually hardens the aluminum, both on the surface and immediately below. Takes a fair amount of drilling/filing into hard-anodized alloy before you reach the untreated, softer  inner metal.

Every other finish for aluminum is just that -- a finish which adheres only to the surface of the aluminum.

If your lower was properly anodized at the factory and has not been messed with (filed away, welded, etc.) there is no reason to re-anodize it. Just go with Armor-tuff, moly, or whatever.

OTOH, if the original anodizing wasn't properly done or has been compromised, the effectiveness of any other finish (besides reanodizing) will also be compromised by being placed on soft aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 9:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Check with DPMS.  They anodize for $35.00 and then black teflon coat for $25.00 extra.  My lower turned out perfect and turn around was about two weeks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 10:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 2:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
hard anodizing is a controlled corrosion process which effectively seals the surface, when something is re-anodized surface tolerances can be altered so it must be done properly, also any imperfections in the surface will show after anodizing.  RRA surface finishing for example, is amongst the best I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
The EPA regulates the emmisions of plating/anodizing companies. In general, I've found the more expensive platers not only have top-notch equipment but also use more expensive materials and methods to comform to these emmisions requirements. The dirty little secret is that much of the newer environmental laws are not  the doing of the green movement, but by companies that have patent emmision reduction processes looking to pad their pocket books. ARCO did this in California w/ their patent on MTBE.
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The lower is going off to Precision Coating of Daytona Beach, FL.  I called Bushmaster and they said that's who they use.

It's costing $75.00 and they mentioned a turnaround time of (dig this) A COUPLE OF DAYS!!

Not weeks, DAYS.

If that's true, they'll be getting alot more business from around here!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 2:35:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The lower is going off to Precision Coating of Daytona Beach, FL.  I called Bushmaster and they said that's who they use.

It's costing $75.00 and they mentioned a turnaround time of (dig this) A COUPLE OF DAYS!!

Not weeks, DAYS.

If that's true, they'll be getting alot more business from around here!!

Sounds good Max!  I'd be interested in some contact information if you'd be so generous.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:40:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:57:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I can certainly appreciate your concern Rick.  I have several uppers and lowers that I would like to get refinished.  I want a finish that appears identical to a factory finish and is at least as tough or tougher and long lasting too.  All this without breaking the bank.  There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of testimonials out there on anyones product.  (I'm sorry, but picking one up at a show doesn't do the trick.  They all look nice on display).  When I hear that "that's who Bushmaster uses" or "that's who KKF uses" (Checkmate) I tend to listen.  I respect the opinion of those two entities because I know their product and it's good enough for me.  I'm not discounting your business at all.  Hell, I may end up sending all my business your way.  But since I want to get it done right the first time around I want to make sure my choice is the right one.  I've been contemplating who to go with for a while now.  Who has the best finish?  To be honest I don't know.   There's a lot of information out there.  I've been leaning towards getting them reanodized.  Isn't that the best way to get an original finish?  I like the "stock" look.  Nothing fancy.  Just durable.  I'll check into your website and educate myself.  My mind is still far from being made up.  Hang in there!  If you keep providing good service along with a good product business will take of itself.  Thanks for speaking up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:21:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I just checked out your site and saw that you're running a refinishing special.
Do you guys do anything besides just the finish?  The reason I ask is because I picked up some large hole uppers from Daniel Defense and the texture is quite different from the lower.  Do I need to do anything before I get them refinished?  (bead blast?)  What's the difference between the Duracoat and Gun-Kote?  Which one do you recommend?  What is the turn around time?  I'm trying to avoid surprises.  Thanks for any info!

Internet Refinishing Specials:

To Finish Your Stripped AR15 - M16 Uppers & Lowers
$50.00 each (finish only)

To Finish Your Pistol Slides:
$40.00 each (finish only)

Coatings available with special:
Teflon
Duracoat
Gun-Kote

Contact for more information
Lauer Custom Weaponry
1-800-830-6677

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:21:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I get parts hard anodized fairly regularly and my supplier (Metal Finishers of Atlanta) charges an 85 dollar lot charge.....one lower receiver sized part costs 85 bucks...a box of 50 of em ALSO costs 85 bucks. As someone above mentioned, if the part has already been anodized, re-anodizing will generally open internal diameters .0005 or so if done well and can take alot more if done poorly.

Regards,
     Bo
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:28:12 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I get parts hard anodized fairly regularly and my supplier (Metal Finishers of Atlanta) charges an 85 dollar lot charge.....one lower receiver sized part costs 85 bucks...a box of 50 of em ALSO costs 85 bucks. As someone above mentioned, if the part has already been anodized, re-anodizing will generally open internal diameters .0005 or so if done well and can take alot more if done poorly.

Regards,
     Bo

Sounds interesting, especially for a guy looking to do several uppers and lowers at once.  Are you satisfied with their work Bo?  Are they able to match colors okay?   With they do uppers, lowers, and misc. parts all in the same batch?  Do you know what colors they do?  (Black, Colt gray, etc.)  Heck, if it's just $85 for all that and they do a good job it sounds like it can't be beat!  Thanks for any feedback you can provide!
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I've never had any problems with them but color matching has never been one of my concerns ( I own a machine shop that does contract work to customers prints...if the print calls out for a black hardcoat finish thats what it gets...for most people black is black) The shade of color you get on a black anodized part has much more to do with the surface finish of the part than the anodizing process...if you take 2 identical parts, machined at the same time, from the same piece of material and then bead blast one and leave the other as machined then anodize them one will come out shiny black and the blasted one will come out a dull dark gray. Most metal finishers will anodize your parts in any color you can imagine but the last I checked, only black and a weird gray-green are the only colors that are actually "hardcoat".
    As far as mixing parts in a lot, most finishers don't care...if it'll fit in the vat, it's part of the same lot charge as long as its the same color...if you want 5 hard black parts one blue part and 16 yellow parts, its 3 lot charges of 85 bucks. Your mileage may vary.

Regards,
   Bo Seppenfield
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have been watching this dilemma with great interest. We attended the BRC and showed off some stuff. We did that for 2 reasons. first, because we are firearm finishers and we like people to see samples of our work. It tends to help in gaining future business and, since we pay our bills based on current and future business, we consider that important. Secondly, we attended the BRC because we like to support events that promote the shooting sports and we like to meet all of the people dedicated enough to travel and financially support the cause.

Then, I see posts such as this and I am disappointed. Anyone out there can choose who they want to finish their stuff. This isn't Russia. But, when a fellow user tells you how good we are and that he found that out by seeing us at the BRC and you don't even call? I honestly don't give a rats ass who Bushmaster uses. I'm not impressed. I do know that we provide the very best finish out there and we make sure that each and every customer is satisfied 110%.

Which booth did Precision Coating have at the BRC? I must have missed that one. I know, they must have been next to Bushmaster or at least under their table.

I am very tired today so take this post for what it's worth. Why am I tired? Because I spent 23 hours in a van to solve a problem with a customer in person instead of over the phone. I did that because each customer deserves it. I drove across 3 states to solve the problem expeditiously. Does Precision Coating do that? How about Bushmaster? ...I didn't think so.

By the way, thanks to Waverunner for the nice attempt to direct this guy on the right path.

Does it sound like I take this stuff personally? I hope so because I do.

Have a good day.

Rick
LCW

Dude!  Chill!!

I'm sorry but I did not attend the BRC and I did not get to visit your booth.  If I had maybe things would be different.

I called a half dozen places about the job and the receiver is going to Precision because they're who Bushmaster recommended and they promised a good finish at a good cost and a good turnaround time.

If I don't like the job they do then trust me, I'll let eveyone know.  If I like the job they do, then you'll all hear about that too.

Link Posted: 6/12/2002 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Some questions for Lauer_CustomWeaponry (Rick):

1).  My Colt lower has a three pin sear block.  Does that present any problems?

2).  There are a few nicks and scratches on the lower.  Will the Duracoat cover these up or do they need to be prepped somehow?  If needs to be prepped is it included in the price?  

3).  I plan on get the upper and lower finished at the same time.  The upper is a slightly different texture.  Will the Duracoat match the surface of the upper and lower?  

4).  My takedown pins in particular are very tight.  Will the Duracoat negatively impact this?  

5).  Am I missing anything?

Thanks for your help Rick.  I look forward to doing business with you.  

Link Posted: 6/17/2002 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just thought I'd mention:

I DO NOT work for LCW in any way. I do know that they'll be refinishing my Winchester after seeing many OUTSTANDING examples of very happy customers weapons....let's see: antiUSSA's rifle, Grin-N-Barret's rifle's including his new Barret!, urodoji's(?) rifle, DSA FAL's custom camo jobs. Remember this is just my opinion.

Yeah, I had my AR10 done by these guys. It came back so sweet, the mall ninjas crapped their pants.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#19]
btt
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there anyone who will hardcoat anodize a finished 80% lowers or 0% lowers? I know victor on tanneryshop's page will do 80%'s but its not really hardcoat anodizing, its just a coating. I heard almost every gunsmith is afraid of working on 80%'s because they think its illegal.

By the way, whats a mall ninja? I hear this term alot....
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Is there anyone who will hardcoat anodize a finished 80% lowers or 0% lowers? I know victor on tanneryshop's page will do 80%'s but its not really hardcoat anodizing, its just a coating. I heard almost every gunsmith is afraid of working on 80%'s because they think its illegal.

By the way, whats a mall ninja? I hear this term alot....

Look outside your windows...I'll bet they're waiting to flip out right about now...
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:29:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Rick, How accurately can you duplicate the original Colt grey?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Does anyone have a web address or other contact info for Precision Coating?  A web search came up with several companies by that name but none in Florida.

Dave Berryhill
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I had my pre-ban Bushy lower blasted and GunKote'd a few years ago.  Would the bead blasting do anything to the hardening, or did it just remove the surface anodizing?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#26]
They don't have a web site.

386-274-4027
Precision Coating
1901 mason ave suite 109
Daytona Beach FLA 32117

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 3:18:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I got the lower receiver back from Precision Coating only eight days after mailing it.

It came back hard anodized (as asked for) in a charcoal-gray color with a texture like very fine sandpaper.  

After soaking it with Breakfree overnight and wiping off the excess, it matches my Bushmaster upper receiver almost exactly.  The color is identical, and there is only a very slight difference in texture.

In short, they did a great job.  Again, it cost $75.00 and they got it back to me in just over a week.  I've been recommending them to my friends.

I don't think they do complete firearms, and they ask that you ONLY send the parts you want re-coated (they won't disassemble anything).  I spoke with a guy named Jeff Hamton and he was a terrific guy to deal with.

Tony_K has already given the address.  Thanks to him.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#28]
What do I have to do to get some questions answered? I keep asking about refinishing 80% receivers and no one answers... is everyone afraid of 80% receivers or something?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
What do I have to do to get some questions answered? I keep asking about refinishing 80% receivers and no one answers... is everyone afraid of 80% receivers or something?

As long as a serial number is stamped into the receiver, it should not be a problem.

Link Posted: 6/25/2002 10:59:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I think you've already gotten your answer:  no commercial refinishing place wants to touch them.

What more is there to say?  Do you want a hug with that??

We now return you to your previously scheduled thread topic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top