BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:33:47 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
"Of course in the real world, where the rest of us have to live, neither the VC nor the NVA ever won a single battle against the American military."

some of the 58,000+ brave americans that died there would strongly disagree with you.

even at the squad level...it's still a "battle".

What about the 800,000 to 1,500,000 that we killed?  I'm sure they are convinced that the AK is the end-all-to-be-all of firearms and that the M-16 that killed them is a piece of shit.

Your challenge reminds me of a toothless redneck dipshit who drinks a case of beer and yells, "Hey y'all, watch this!!" shortly before removing himself (thankfully) from the genepool.  I honestly hope that the AK blows up in your face, horribly maiming you for proposing such a stupid stunt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#2]
"ya'll watch this"

If you ever see him again make sure you ask him about that sar, preferably with others around.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Or We can Stand them 25 yards apart through thick jungle and  and see whose's bullet actually doesn't deflect that much!!!
Oh wait we did that, it was called Vietnam...
AK's win!!!!!

In fact, small fast bullets tend to deflect less in brush than big, slow bullets. Per actual tests.

The VN part already caused considerable comment. However, I'll add to it: when the US withdrew, the North had signed a peace treaty. They quickly violated the peace treaty, and Nixon lacked the political capital to aid the South. The South Vietnamese lost the war, because Congress wasn't about to let the President provide air support . . .
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
And I have to add . . .

During the VN war, the VC originally used surplus US weapons (primarly). They eventually switched to the AK. This caused some controversy on their side. From what I understand some preferred the American weapons (primarly for logistic reasons). The main reason for switching to the AK seems to be for Communist solidarity, not due to any technical superiority.

I think that the Israeli experience pretty much proves that the AR is superior. I find it interesting that the conventional (armchair) wisdom seems to be that reliability trumps everything, and that the accuracy advantage of the AR is irrelevent in practical shooting. The Israelis don't seem to agree. Neither do I. Hitting targets that are partially obscured or fleeting, under tight (and unknown) time constraints is difficult, and requires maximum practical accuracy--something AKs don't have much of.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top